National, Regional and Local News

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: National, Regional and Local News

Post by ti-amie »

This drone video of Mayfield, KY is the first one that came it. It's being praised for being among the best footage taken using a drone.

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I have been through an earthquake, a hurricane and even a Cat 9 storm in the South Atlantic. Nothing is as scary as a tornado (which I have been close to also). The sound of the wind is like a shriek magnified by 100's, and you can hear how everything in the path is basically shredded.
Wonder if those towns can be recovered.
About Rand Paul. The man is one of the most shameful politicians in US history. What is is about Kentucky that they produce such scum?
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

a before and after, 360 view of downtown Mayfield, KY.

JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Why am I not surprised? It is Kentucky after all.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Time Magazine picked Elon Musk as Person of the Year. I wonder if this man ever crossed their minds?

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:30 am Time Magazine picked Elon Musk as Person of the Year.

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Person Of The Year: Donald Trump.
By refusing to accept the results of the US election, this man has done more damage to the republic than any foreign agent ever. By now, the possibility that the USA will split in some near future is no longer zero, an idea that a mere decade ago was unthinkable. Not only that, it will make no difference how clean the elections of 2022 and 2024 are, they will be called a foul by him and his followers, further damaging the country.
It is not GOOD person of the year; they elected Hitler as POTY after all. Donald Trump may have started the end of the USA (I say MAY), which would make him a historical figure.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

It would be interesting to see how the states of the south and midwest would fund essential services if they secede from the Union. Right now the majority of their funds come from the NE and California. I'd like to see the Libertarians and "Freedom" folks have to cover the costs of repairing the damage done by the recent tornadoes in Kentucky and elsewhere. Rand Paul knows damn well that the Governor of the State has to request FEMA come in but he was on the Bird App early screaming at POTUS to send funds now.

I have family in Georgia and I worry about their safety if the South as a whole decides to secede.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

If the South were to secede, I would go to GA and rip my grand-niece from my niece's arms, and bring her to Colombia. ;)
They would never secede because of what you say. But the thought has been planted, and there is something else: what if it is THE OTHER SIDE that decides "enough of this crap"? The West coast goes its way, the NE too, Colorado remains isolated in the center, and all those other states simply go bankrupt.

Post by JazzNU »

I don't think they would fund them. You know those photos from Cape Town showing the housing divide between the wealthy and the poor from the Apartheid era that still remain just a stones throw from one another? That's about what I think would happen. We're good at our country club over here, hope you have fun fending for yourselves over there, but we won't help you, but we do need to hire you because I'm not cleaning this house or getting a glass of iced water on my own.

That being said, those that are not so well off that think they support these fools would get a rude awakening about where everything they previously were getting came from. But it'd probably still take them awhile to realize they've been duped since they still seem rather clueless on that front.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Post by JazzNU »

Derek Chauvin pleads guilty to federal charges of violating George Floyd's civil rights

By Bill Hutchinson

Eight months after being convicted of state murder charges in the death of George Floyd, former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin pleaded guilty on Wednesday to federal charges of violating the 46-year-old Black man's civil rights.

"At this time, guilty, your honor," Chauvin, wearing an orange prison jumpsuit, said in Minnesota U.S. District Court in St. Paul when questioned by Judge Paul Magnuson.

The 45-year-old Chauvin, who is already serving a 22 1/2-year state prison sentence for killing Floyd in May 2020, could get additional time behind bars when he is sentenced at a later date.

Federal prosecutors are asking that Chauvin be sentenced to up to 25 years in federal prison. The federal sentence is to be served concurrently with the state sentence, according to the plea agreement Chauvin signed in court.

Floyd's brothers Terrence, Rodney and Philonise Floyd, along with their nephew, Brandon Williams, were in the courtroom when Chauvin pleaded guilty.

"Honestly, hearing what Derek Chauvin said in the courtroom is not what we definitely wanted. We wanted this at the beginning of the trial (back in March)," Rodney Floyd said at a news conference following the plea hearing. "My reaction is not what you'd expect. I'm still feeling the anger I felt in the beginning."

Philonise Floyd added, "We can never get justice because we can never get George back."

Attorneys for the Floyd family, Ben Crump, Antonio Romanucci and Jeff Storms, released a joint statement, saying: “As our nation continues to grapple with the demons of our past and present, historic days make us hopeful for our future. Today is one such day."

The statement adds: "Before the tragic and needless death of George Floyd, there was little expectation that a white police officer would ever be held accountable for murdering a Black man. But when Derek Chauvin was held to account, the jury – and people across the country – finally said enough was enough."

A federal grand jury in May indicted Chauvin and three other police officers -- Tou Thao, 35, J. Alexander Kueng, 27, and Thomas Lane, 38 in connection to Floyd's death.

The four men were scheduled to go to trial in federal court together in January.

All four defendants were charged with depriving Floyd of his constitutional right to be free from the use of unreasonable force when they held the handcuffed man on the ground on May 25, 2020, and Chauvin dug his knee into Floyd's neck and back for more than nine minutes even as Floyd complained he could not breathe, fell unconscious and lost a pulse.

The indictment alleges Thao and Kueng willfully failed to intervene to stop Chauvin’s use of unreasonable force.

Lane was heard on body-camera footage played at Chauvin's state trial this year suggesting that Floyd be turned on his side to alleviate his breathing.

Lane, Kueng and Thao are also scheduled to go on trial on state charges in March 2022 on state charges of aiding and abetting second-degree murder and aiding and abetting second-degree manslaughter. They have all pleaded not guilty.

According to a statement from the U.S. Department of Justice, Chauvin "admitted that he continued to use force even though he was aware that Mr. Floyd had stopped resisting, talking and moving, and even though he was aware that Mr. Floyd had lost consciousness and a pulse."

Chauvin also admitted, according to the DOJ statement, that he willfully violated Floyd’s constitutional right not to be deprived of liberty without due process of law, which included his right to be free from a police officer’s deliberate indifference to his serious medical needs.

"While recognizing that nothing can repair the harm caused by such acts, the Justice Department is committed to holding accountable those who violate the Constitution, and to safeguarding the civil rights of all Americans," U.S. Attorney General Merrick Garland said in a statement.

Under the terms of the plea deal, Chauvin will serve his sentence in federal custody and will not be eligible to work in any law enforcement capacity following his release.

In a separate federal indictment, Chauvin also pleaded guilty to willfully depriving a 14-year-old Minneapolis resident of his constitutional right to be free from the use of unreasonable force by a police officer. The charges stem from an episode in September 2017 and allege that Chauvin, without legal justification, held the teenager by the throat, struck him multiple times in the head with a flashlight and held his knee on the boy's neck and the upper back while he was handcuffed and in a prone position.

"After hearing the details of it, that guy (Chauvin) is a monster," Brandon Williams, Floyd's nephew, said of the brutality case involving the teenager. "He should have been arrested in 2017. Had he been held accountable for what he did in 2017 to that minor, George Floyd would still be here."

In April, Chauvin was convicted of second-degree unintentional murder, third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter stemming from Floyd's death, which prompted protests nationwide.

Matthew Barhoma, a Los Angeles criminal appeals attorney, said Chauvin change-of-plea will likely not help Thao, Kueng and Lane.

"Prosecutors will be able to inform jurors in the case against the other officers that Chauvin pleaded guilty, which will reflect badly on those defendants," Barhoma said in a statement to ABC News.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/derek-chauvin ... d=81766309

Post by JazzNU »

^^ I'm guessing most will gloss over this, yeah, yeah, he's still guilty of killing George Floyd, we know that. But if you read the bottom quarter of the article, he also pled guilty in a separate indictment of what he did to that 14 year old several years ago.