National, Regional and Local News

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: National, Regional and Local News

Post by ti-amie »

The terrorist apparently died in the explosion. It seems that there is a picture floating around too. However, thanks to Parler, we know the person was an "escape goat"
Don Winslow @donwinslow
I'm going to wait until the photo is double confirmed.
Linda Childers @lindarchilders
Replying to @donwinslow
According to Parler, he was just an “escape goat.”
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Authorities identify Anthony Warner as Nashville bomber, say his remains were found in the wreckage
Neighbors describe Warner as a “recluse" with an interest in home security.

By
Michael Kranish,
Paulina Firozi,
Brandon Gee and
Meryl Kornfield
Dec. 27, 2020 at 5:13 p.m. EST

Anthony Quinn Warner was responsible for the Christmas morning explosion that rocked downtown Nashville, officials said Sunday, and he was killed in the blast.

Investigators matched human remains found at the scene with Warner’s DNA, confirming suspicions that he blew himself up in a recreational vehicle, Tennessee Bureau of Investigation Director David Rausch told reporters. Law enforcement said they were still investigating a motive behind the incident.

Authorities had assembled Saturday at Warner’s home in Antioch, Tenn., located about 10 miles southeast of the explosion site. Several neighbors described seeing an RV similar to the one that blew up on Friday morning in the backyard of the Antioch home.

Warner, 63, was unmarried and rarely ventured from his home, according to neighbors, living for years with his parents and then by himself. He once owned an alarm company, and he protected his home with an array of security cameras, rarely returning a neighborly wave and not responding to an offer of Christmas dinner, neighbors said in interviews.

“To describe him as a recluse would be an excellent word,” said Rick Laude, who has lived near Warner since 2010. “You could wave at him and he was like, what are you waving at me for?”

Warner lived for years with his parents, and for some time after his father died in 2011, he remained with his mother, Betty Christine Lane, before moving into a nearby house, neighbors said. Lane could not be reached for comment.

In November, Warner transferred his property at 115 Bakertown Rd. to a Los Angeles woman for “$0,” according to property records of a quitclaim deed. The woman said in a brief telephone interview that the FBI told her not to discuss the matter and declined to comment.

At one time, Warner ran an alarm company, according to his cousin, who runs a haunted-house attraction about a mile from Warner’s home. “He was into phones and electronics,” like his father, Robert Warner said of his cousin.

“He has always been a quiet person,” Robert Warner said. “When we had the family reunions, he brought the RV, or he had a boat.” Robert Warner said that he had not talked to his cousin in about 10 years, and he said many members of the family had lost touch with him.

Steve Schmoldt, whose property is on the other side of the fence from Warner’s residence, said that Warner had “always just been kind of a loner.” Schmoldt said that Warner used to have dogs, and they talked about pets, but he said such conversations were rare. He recalled how his wife brought Warner a Christmas dinner but said Warner never answered the door.

Three weeks ago, Schmoldt said, he saw Warner climbing an extension ladder to work on a large antenna on his house. “He was like an IT guy,” Schmoldt said, referring to information technology. “He has quite a few security cameras around his house.” Neighbors also noticed that Warner power-washed the RV, which until recent days they had not seen leaving the property.

A Nashville real estate firm, Fridrich & Clark Realty, confirmed that Warner worked there as a computer consultant for about 15 years before announcing his retirement earlier this month. “The Tony Warner we knew is a nice person who never exhibited any behavior which was less than professional,” co-owner Steve Fridrich wrote in a statement.

The RV detonated in front of an AT&T transmission building in downtown Nashville, damaging more than 40 businesses and causing widespread disruptions to cell service and Internet connections.

No one aside from Warner died in the blast, which officials credited to police officers who evacuated buildings moments after arriving on the scene and leading up to the RV explosion.

The officers heard a strange recorded warning, which started to play a 15-minute countdown, coming from the RV. Officers started knocking on doors, contacting dispatch to get access codes to buildings, clearing them floor by floor, warning residents who answered to gather family members and safely evacuate.

“That’s stuff that I’ll never forget, the sound of the announcement saying … ‘Evacuate now,’” said Amanda Topping, one of five officers who spoke to reporters during a morning news conference. “Just odd. And I’m pacing back and forth because I kept on having to turn pedestrians around.”

The RV began to play music — officer Tyler Luellen told reporters he later learned it was “Downtown” by Petula Clark. The officers prepared themselves, some going back to their cars for heavier gear.

“As I’m getting ready to walk toward [other officers], walking back toward the RV … I literally hear God tell me to turn around and check on Topping, who was by herself,” officer James Wells said. “As I turn around — for me it felt like I only took three steps, the music stops. As I’m walking back toward Topping, I just see orange and I hear a loud boom. I’m just telling myself, stay on your feet, stay alive.”

Around midday Sunday, AT&T said in a statement that more than 75 percent of the cell sites affected by the explosion had been restored. “Mobility service in the Birmingham and Huntsville, Alabama areas is now operating normally,” the company said.

While it is unknown whether the AT&T building was the intended target, experts on critical infrastructure said the Christmas morning episode makes clear that federal and local authorities and the private sector ought to find ways to reduce their vulnerability, either through moving key pieces to more fortified locations or building in redundancies.

“I think this is a wake-up call and a warning for all of us about how vulnerable our infrastructure is, how relatively easy it is for a single individual to do this,” Frank Figliuzzi, former assistant director of counterintelligence at the FBI, said on “Face The Nation.”

“We are very vulnerable to these kinds of attacks,” said Adam Rose, a professor at the University of Southern California and director of the Center for Risk and Economic Analysis of Terrorism Events.

He added that there are limited options to build resiliency in today’s highly interconnected world, underscoring the need for customers to have their own backup communications systems to the extent possible — such as a home fiber-optic Internet connection in addition to a personal hotspot, for instance.

Tennessee officials have called for federal support in the wake of the bombing. Sen. Marsha Blackburn (R-Tenn.) said on Twitter that she had spoken with President Trump about the need for federal aid.

“I told him we would appreciate prompt attention to it,” she said in a video message. “And the president has been so good to Tennessee, I have no doubt he will move quickly on this.”

Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee (R) asked Trump on Saturday for federal assistance in response to the explosion, noting that the downed communication systems and damage to businesses were too much for the state to handle alone. Sens. Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.) and Blackburn, along with Rep. Jim Cooper (D-Tenn.), wrote to Trump in support of Lee’s request.

FEMA spokeswoman Janet Montesi said the request “is currently under review.”

Nashville Mayor John Cooper, during a CBS News interview, referred to the area impacted by the explosion as “part of our historic identity of Nashville, this kind of late Victorian streetscape that ended up being bombed.”

“The businesses there, they’ve just — going through covid, they’ve had the worst nine months that you could have as a business,” he said. “And then now to be affected by a bombing. Of course, we’re going to need help, and we may need some help in hardening our infrastructure.”

Jennifer Jenkins, Yeganeh Torbati, Toluse Olorunnipa, Devlin Barrett and Matt Zapotosky contributed to this report.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... ny-warner/
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I saw the picture referenced above but as Don Winslow says it hasn't been confirmed so I won't post it here.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Nashville bomber’s girlfriend told police in 2019 he was making explosives in his RV, documents show

Law enforcement officers on Dec. 26 investigate the house belonging to Anthony Quinn Warner, a 63-year-old man who has since been identified as the Nashville bomber. (Terry Wyatt/Getty Images)

By
Derek Hawkins
Dec. 30, 2020 at 11:51 a.m. EST

Local and federal law enforcement agents were told more than a year ago that the tech worker who detonated a bomb in downtown Nashville on Christmas morning was making explosives in his recreational vehicle, but said they were unable to investigate further after he failed to respond to multiple knocks on his door, according to police documents.

Nashville police visited Anthony Quinn Warner’s home on Aug. 21, 2019, after a woman who identified herself as his girlfriend told officers that he “was building bombs in the RV trailer at his residence,” according to an incident report and synopsis from the Metropolitan Nashville Police Department. The visit was first reported by the Tennessean.

An attorney for the couple, Raymond Throckmorton, also told police at the time that Quinn “frequently talks about the military and bombmaking” and was “capable of making a bomb,” the report says. The responding officers notified their superiors and the FBI, according to the synopsis, but a background check on Quinn didn’t turn up any information.

An FBI spokesman said the agency had found “no records at all” after it received a request from MNPD on Aug. 22, 2019, to look into Warner. The FBI also processed a Defense Department inquiry, “which was also negative,” the spokesman said.

Earlier this week, Tennessee Bureau of Investigation Director David Rausch told reporters that Warner, “was not on our radar” before the Christmas morning bombing.

Investigators are still working to identify what motivated the 63-year-old recluse to pack his RV with explosives and broadcast an eerie warning message telling residents to evacuate before detonating the vehicle outside an AT&T transmission hub in the city’s busy entertainment quarter. Among other theories, they’re looking into possibilities that he had a fascination with aliens or 5G conspiracy theories.

The incident report sheds little new light on Warner’s mind-set but indicates that he may have been planning the explosion for 16 months or more.

According to the law enforcement documents, police visited the girlfriend’s home on the morning of Aug. 21, 2019, after Throckmorton told officers she made suicidal threats to him on the telephone and was sitting on her front porch.

When officers arrived, they found the woman with two unloaded pistols sitting next to her. She told them the weapons belonged to “Tony Warner” and that she did not want them in the house any longer, according to police.

In the same conversation, the woman told them Warner was making bombs in his RV, the report states. Throckmorton appeared to back her up, telling officers Warner “knows what he is doing and is capable of making a bomb,” according to the report. After the interview, an ambulance picked up the woman for voluntary psychological evaluation, the report states.

The same day, police went to Warner’s home, about 1.5 miles from the woman’s house. They said they noticed the RV parked in the backyard but said they couldn’t see inside because it was blocked by a fence. Officers also reported seeing several security cameras and an alarm sign on the property. The officers reported that they knocked on Warner’s door multiple times, but he did not respond.

“They saw no evidence of a crime and had no authority to enter his home or fenced property,” police said in the synopsis.

Officers told supervisors about the incident and sent a report to the Hazardous Devices Unit for follow up, according to police.

On Aug. 22, police sent a narrative to the FBI, which soon reported back that agents had found “no records on Warner at all,” police said. Subsequent reports from the Defense Department and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives turned up nothing, according to police.

Around the same time, the Nashville Hazardous Devices Unit contacted Throckmorton, according to the synopsis.

“The recollection of that call is that Warner did not care for the police,” police said in the synopsis. “At no time was there any evidence of a crime detected and no additional action was taken.”

Calls to residential numbers listed for Throckmorton and the woman who reported Warner went to disconnected lines, and texts to cellphone numbers were not immediately returned Wednesday morning.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... irlfriend/

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Emily Peck @EmilyRPeck

Meghan McCain had a baby and now realizes that the US needs paid maternity leave, she explains on The View. She says personal experience helped open her eyes.

McCain: "I started getting angry that conservatives in particular, given we are the party of family values.. that we are leaving women in this country without the capacity and ability to heal physically [after childbirth]"

McCain: "maybe it takes personal experience sometimes to get on board"

YES ... think about that...

I should clarify that she did get paid time off -- she apparently wanted to only take six weeks and then needed more b/c of medical issues, then it just clicked for her that most women don't have that luxury.
Like most people who call themselves conservatives until it happens to them nothing is real. I guess she figures women and men who've been lobbying for it for years were just a bunch of lazy bums.

BTW her husband runs the Federalist.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Just like when they oppose gay marriage and rights, and then a son comes out. All of the sudden, hey, why not?, we will even join them walking down the aisle!
They are the most self-centered, empathy-incapable, solipsistic people on Earth. Nothing less.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Significant number, but a drop in the bucket for Boeing

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Maybe not so much in these times. They have had a bunch of cancellations and I still wonder if I would agree to fly in a Max. I would like to see a couple of years before I have to board one.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Related to Politics, of course, but:
Dominion sues Sidney Powell for $1.3 Billion, for defamation. In a lawsuit that I guess can be won by a freshman. And I don't mean a Law College Freshman, I mean a freshman.

Post by JazzNU »

Not related to Wednesday! Just a racist 22 year old telling on herself. A disastrous interview to rival the likes of Sandusky and JonBenet Ramsey's mom.

Go ahead and visit Twitter and search for either Daddy or Gayle. Your welcome.

https://twitter.com/explore
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

And, of course, this is the sole GOP state that matters, so this could be serious:

A Texas lawmaker wants secession on the ballot. His supporters say they're dead serious.
(https://www.yahoo.com/news/texas-lawmak ... 35793.html)

And it has nothing to do with the fact that Tiny lost. Sure. The poor babies!!!

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Texans sent the federal government $261 billion in taxes in 2016, and the state government received $39.5 billion in grants in return, or about 15 percent of our total federal tax tab. Those grants were the state’s second-largest revenue source, providing more than a third of its net revenue in that year. (State taxes, by contrast, supplied nearly 44 percent.)
https://comptroller.texas.gov/economy/f ... unding.php

From 2017
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I understand that Texas is fairly self sufficient. Lots of industry there, as opposed to the other red states that live of the blue states that are profitable. Plus, they have a coast and access to another country (Mexico).
Economically, they can secede. The issue is moral. After all, they were not talking about secession in 2016, but they did in 2008.
I wonder why.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Post by JazzNU »