National, Regional and Local News

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
Deuce Canada

Re: National, Regional and Local News

Post by Deuce »

ti-amie wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:34 pm I have been debating whether or not I should post the description of what was left of two children. It was given during a hearing by the parents of at least one child.
What would be the point, exactly?
None of us 'need to know'.
It would only add to the already very over-saturated coverage of these events - the primary result of which serves to encourage more such events...
over and over and over and over and over....

SIGH, indeed...
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

I can't think of any problem anywhere which has been solved by pretending it doesn't exist.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Suliso wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:21 am I can't think of any problem anywhere which has been solved by pretending it doesn't exist.
I'm not advocating pretending these events don't exist. On the contrary... I'm looking for a potential solution to them - which obviously involves knowing that they exist.
But not everyone needs to be told about them. What is the practical purpose of telling a bunch of people who aren't going to do anything to solve the problem, and will only gossip about "how terrible it is"?

Are you honestly stating that you believe that the media reports of these events don't encourage the people out there on the fringes of sanity to replicate these events?... That the effect and impact that the media reports fuel and guarantee are NOT a factor in these events occurring?

If so, I cannot possibly disagree more.

To me, it's beyond obvious that the media reports - and the attention and impact they fuel - is a major, major factor in ensuring that these events continue.
The only way to find out if this theory is accurate is to stop the media reporting of these events and see what happens. Nothing important would be lost in doing this - other than endless gossip among people - and it has the potential to save lives.
Why would any compassionate, caring person be against giving it a try?
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

The emotional attachment many gun owners have towards firearms qualifies as some form of mental illness to me. It's irrational. (to me)
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

As if going to school, for some kids, was not challenging enough. On top of that, you have to train for when a shooter comes into your school to shoot you?
I really wonder what kind of normalcy the USA can expect, really. That is as (expletive) up as it gets.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ti-amie wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:39 pm
Believe me - from the perspective of anyone living in a civilized country outside of the U.S. which is not at war, this ^ IS DEFINITELY insane.
But it has become completely normalized in the U.S. - which is also insane.

In the U.S., it seems that going to school or going to a store is just as risky to one's life as being a race car driver.
The difference is that in a race car, you have a certain degree of control over the circumstances. In a school or store, you're just an open target.

If I lived in the U.S. with children, there is no way in hell that they would be going to any established school. I would teach them myself as much as I could, and send them to the library to learn on their own - and I'd accompany them to the library as often as possible. All this while very desperately looking for a place to move to in Canada...
R.I.P. Amal...

Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

"The median rent in Manhattan reached $4,000 in May, the highest price ever reported by the brokerage Douglas Elliman. This was a nearly 2 percent increase from April and more than a 25 percent increase from May 2021. The average rental price in Manhattan was just under $5,000 in May."
There's no qualifying these prices to me. No city in this country is worth that kind of rent. I will remain in Brooklyn.
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/09/real ... t-nyc.html
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Surprisingly still millions who think otherwise.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

It is just an equation.
If the median rent is $4000, but the median salary is $12,000, it is not a bad deal, specially seeing that rent is tax deductible.
In Bogota, you can rent a nice apartment for about $500/month. But, less than 5% of the country's population make $1,200 or more, so for the vast majority of people, such an apartment is unattainable.
The same as with inflation. If inflation in your country is 10%, but your salary increases at 15%, it is not a problem. Down here, inflation is around 10%, salaries are stagnant. Therefore, a problem.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Sure, but are the median salaries in Manhattan really that high? In Basel you can get an excellent 3-room apartment for 2000-2500 $/month. Lots of families can afford that. I'm less sure the same is true with these prices in NYC. I'm willing to be corrected by the natives, though.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »