National, Regional and Local News

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
JazzNU United States of America

Re: National, Regional and Local News

Post by JazzNU »

dryrunguy wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:59 am Thanks for that, Jazz.

Isn't there also something to be said about how quickly the Black cops were fired and charged in comparison to their white predecessors who committed similar crimes?

There are a lot of layers to this. And I hope not one of those layers gets lost.

Yes, and Elie points that out in his last post. It's very quick and it rarely is. You could say, the video is that bad, but you could've said that about at least 5 videos in the last 5 years absolutely warranting an immediate firing, and it doesn't happen. Part of that is the awful police unions though, which is why Elie pointed to that as well. That they haven't been out for the black officers when, no matter how bad a look it is, they always are, should speak volumes to everyone.

A lot of layers. Just about all of them have been pointed out numerous times in the past, but like almost everything related to policing, no one believed us until there were videos they could see themselves. And even then, it took videos being shown repeatedly in separate incidents for many to accept maybe this was more of an issue than they thought.

Some of the layers will get lost, that's just the reality. But some progress is better than none, and hopefully more than just Memphis takes a look at their policies, their training, and how their specialized units are operating and whether they are causing more harm than good. One of NYC's special units was responsible for killing Amadou Diallo, but they weren't convicted (which remains complete and utter BS), and they didn't disband the unit until the Feds basically forced them into it a few years later. Scandal seems to be the thing that ends these units, not an internal review.

Post by JazzNU »

Everyone remember this? The reason we have seals and anti-tampering laws on medication today.

ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I remember the panic well. I hope they find the "person" who did that.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

There are still thousands of ingestible items that are not 'tamper proof'. The grocery store has a lot.

Hopefully, putting the Tylenol tragedies back in the news again won't give some lunatic(s) any ideas... but that is always a risk when these things are publicized.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

I suspect strong poisons such as cyanide is harder to source in US than guns. Unless you're a chemist like me. I have a few hundred grams on a shelf somewhere.
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

Suliso wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:24 am I suspect strong poisons such as cyanide is harder to source in US than guns. Unless you're a chemist like me. I have a few hundred grams on a shelf somewhere.
Saving it for ponchi, I presume?
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Suliso wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:24 am I suspect strong poisons such as cyanide is harder to source in US than guns. Unless you're a chemist like me. I have a few hundred grams on a shelf somewhere.
Perhaps poison is more difficult to obtain than going to one's nearest Walmart to purchase a gun... but I'm quite sure that most ill-intentioned people can find some type of poison without needing to be exceptionally gifted in the area of resourcefulness.

Even cyanide is apparently not that difficult to obtain, judging by the number of intentional cyanide-related deaths:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3834424/

The poison need not be cyanide. Fentanyl-laced drugs, for example, are sadly readily available on the streets of any major North American city. Can getting one's hands on actual genuine fentanyl, then, be that difficult? And, as we see daily, it takes very, very little fentanyl to kill a person.
Carfentanil is even more lethal at small doses, and also can likely be obtained relatively easily (illegally) for someone intent on obtaining it.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Sure, with lots of planning poisoning is possible too. It's just that mass shooting is a form of suicide (going out in "glory" etc) there as poisoning is more for a serial killer who doesn't wish to be caught. Fortunately for us all there are not that many of those.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

dryrunguy wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:35 am
Think our own ponchi is an aspiring serial poisoner? :geek:
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

As someone who has lived 15 years in the US, but not any more, it seems to me this is about the culture of violence that has been propagated in the US- from NFL to WWF to cowboy movies and Cop&Robber movies..and the gun culture is just a symptom of all this..until we teach young children that violence is not acceptable in any form, incidents of this kind will keep escalating as they grow up with violence inbuilt in their way of dealing with the world..
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

I don't think it's so simple. Large parts of South American and African societies are pretty violent too. In Asia a bit less so, but still one can look at Pakistan and Afghanistan...
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Suliso wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:20 am
dryrunguy wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:35 am
Think our own ponchi is an aspiring serial poisoner? :geek:
I think he meant YOU poisoning ME. Or the most likely event, ME poisoning ME ;)
(That did crack me up, Dry. :rofl: )
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Suliso wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:34 pm I don't think it's so simple. Large parts of South American and African societies are pretty violent too. In Asia a bit less so, but still one can look at Pakistan and Afghanistan...
I will talk about S. America. We are inundated by American movies and TV series. I agree with you that it is not so simple (here in Colombia, and back in Venezuela, the levels of violence are pretty high but not on the same fashion as in the USA) but there might be something about watching "the good guys" shoot "the bad guys" every night on TV.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:00 pm
Suliso wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:34 pm I don't think it's so simple. Large parts of South American and African societies are pretty violent too. In Asia a bit less so, but still one can look at Pakistan and Afghanistan...
I will talk about S. America. We are inundated by American movies and TV series. I agree with you that it is not so simple (here in Colombia, and back in Venezuela, the levels of violence are pretty high but not on the same fashion as in the USA) but there might be something about watching "the good guys" shoot "the bad guys" every night on TV.
Are guns as easily acquired and as affordable there?