National, Regional and Local News

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: National, Regional and Local News

Post by ti-amie »

Someone stop me from saying it...
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Kevin Williams and Mitch Smith

Authorities said they shot and killed the suspect after hours of negotiations.

WILMINGTON, Ohio — After a lengthy standoff, police officers shot and killed an armed man accused of trying to break into the F.B.I.’s Cincinnati office on Thursday, officials in Ohio said, but the motives of the man remained unclear.

Investigators are looking into whether the man had ties to extremist groups, including one that participated in the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol, according to two law enforcement officials familiar with the matter.

The attack in Cincinnati came three days after F.B.I. agents served a search warrant at the Florida home of former President Donald J. Trump, and a day after the F.B.I. director told reporters that online threats against federal law enforcement were “deplorable and dangerous.” There was no immediate indication that the incident in Ohio was related to the Trump search.

The man, whom officials said was wearing body armor, tried to breach the entrance to the visitor screening facility outside the F.B.I. Cincinnati Field Office in the suburb of Kenwood around 9 a.m., said Todd Lindgren, an agency spokesman. He said an alarm was set off and agents responded.

After fleeing, the man headed north on Interstate 71, officials said, where he was spotted about 20 minutes later by a state trooper at a rest area. That trooper began a chase and came under gunfire, said Lt. Nathan Dennis of the Ohio State Highway Patrol.

The chase eventually left the interstate and snaked along rural roads before coming to a stop near an Interstate 71 overpass close to the city of Wilmington. Lieutenant Dennis said gunfire was exchanged. Roads were blocked off for several hours but had reopened by late afternoon.

Lieutenant Dennis said law enforcement officers attempted to negotiate with the suspect for several hours, and then tried to take him into custody with “less-than-lethal tactics.” Those efforts failed, he said, and officers fatally shot him after he raised a gun.

Alan Feuer and Adam Goldman

Man suspected of trying to breach the F.B.I.’s Cincinnati office may have Jan. 6 ties.

Investigators are looking into whether the man who tried to breach the F.B.I.’s field office in Cincinnati on Thursday had ties to extremist groups, including one that participated in the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol, according to two law enforcement officials familiar with the matter.

The suspect, identified by the officials as Ricky Shiffer, 42, seems to have appeared in a video posted on Facebook on Jan. 5, 2021, showing him attending a pro-Trump rally at Black Lives Matter Plaza in Washington the night before the Capitol was stormed.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/08/11 ... oting-news

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

Ricky thought he was being a hero/martyr. Ricky got killed. Don't be like Ricky.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Fatwa's don't expire. There is no statute of limitation.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Interesting point. This attacker was born TEN YEARS after the publication of The Satanic Verses.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:21 pm Interesting point. This attacker was born TEN YEARS after the publication of The Satanic Verses.
I bet he's never read them but has done his "research" online and came to the conclusion that this action was warranted.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

AFP News Agency
@AFP
UPDATE: Rushdie was put on a ventilator Friday after the stabbing, his agent told the New York Times. "The news is not good," Andrew Wylie said. "Salman will likely lose one eye; the nerves in his arm were severed; and his liver was stabbed and damaged."
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

My position on this subject is well known, so I will refrain from explaining how nauseating this news is to me. Will only say that this is what happens when intolerance wins the day.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:15 pm My position on this subject is well known, so I will refrain from explaining how nauseating this news is to me. Will only say that this is what happens when intolerance wins the day.
This is why Tiny's threats to AG Garland are so horrible.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

To Garland. To Biden. To all people doing their jobs. This movement towards intolerance simply will end up the wrong way. The very wrong way.
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

ti-amie wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:03 pm AFP News Agency
@AFP
UPDATE: Rushdie was put on a ventilator Friday after the stabbing, his agent told the New York Times. "The news is not good," Andrew Wylie said. "Salman will likely lose one eye; the nerves in his arm were severed; and his liver was stabbed and damaged."
He was stabbed 10 times in total, per CNN, three of which were in the neck, four in the stomach, and once each in the eye, chest, and thigh.