Politics Random, Random

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
meganfernandez United States of America

Re: Politics Random, Random

Post by meganfernandez »

ti-amie wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:32 pm There are many millions of Catholics who are for choice. They just tend to keep their mouths shut. Remember when the norm for Catholic families was double digit children? You don't see that any more and it's not because people have stopped having sex. This group is just saying the quiet part out loud and have been for awhile now.
I'm Catholic and I'm pro-choice. I can live with not following every bit of the official doctrine. :) I haven't read any farther back than your comment above. Just piping up for pro-choice and pro-contraception Catholics.
Last edited by meganfernandez on Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

meganfernandez wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:50 pm
ti-amie wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:32 pm There are many millions of Catholics who are for choice. They just tend to keep their mouths shut. Remember when the norm for Catholic families was double digit children? You don't see that any more and it's not because people have stopped having sex. This group is just saying the quiet part out loud and have been for awhile now.
I'm Catholic and I'm pro-choice.
So am I.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:29 pm You cannot call yourself a catholic AND approve of abortion.
I can and I do. I don't follow every bit of the doctrine, just as I don't follow every single law in the U.S. to the letter or every rule at work to a T. I figure it's between me and God. I'm sure there are a lot of people in the same boat. :)

You can also be pro-choice and not approve of abortion (or under certain circumstances). You can approve of the government not being involved in the decision or taking away the freedom to choose.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

Jackie Walorski (R), Indiana Congresswoman, Is Killed in Car Crash
Ms. Walorski, 58, was first elected to Congress in 2012. She was traveling in her district with two aides, who were also killed.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/03/us/p ... orski.html

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

The outpouring of grief over her death from political twitter was overwhelming and sincere.

Post by Owendonovan »

ti-amie wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:48 am The outpouring of grief over her death from political twitter was overwhelming and sincere.
Cynical me wonders if the grief is over the loss of her or her conservative vote. Republicans aren't particularly moral.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I think Owen was right about the politics of the deceased btw.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Senate approves Inflation Reduction Act, clinching long-delayed health and climate bill
The party-line vote marks a major achievement for Democrats, after more than a year of wrangling over a centerpiece of President Biden’s economic agenda. It now awaits a vote in the House.

By Tony Romm
Updated August 7, 2022 at 5:16 p.m. EDT|Published August 7, 2022 at 4:34 a.m. EDT

The Senate on Sunday approved a sweeping package to combat climate change, lower health-care costs, raise taxes on some billion-dollar corporations and reduce the federal deficit, as Democrats overcame months of political infighting to deliver the centerpiece to President Biden’s long-stalled economic agenda.

The party-line vote was a milestone in a tumultuous journey that began last year when Democrats took control of Congress and the White House with a promise to bring financial relief to ordinary Americans. With a tiebreaking vote from Vice President Harris, the 50-50 Senate sent the bill to the House, which aims to approve it and send it to the White House for Biden’s signature later this week.

Dubbed the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022, the package would authorize the biggest burst of spending in U.S. history to tackle global warming — about $370 billion to reduce greenhouse gas emissions to 40 percent below their 2005 levels by the end of this decade. The proposal also would make good on Democrats’ years-old pledge to reduce prescription drug costs for the elderly.

In part by tweaking federal tax laws — chiefly to target tax cheats and some billion-dollar companies that pay nothing to the government — the bill is expected to raise enough money to cover its new spending. Democrats say the measure is also expected to generate an additional $300 billion for reducing projected budget deficits over the next 10 years, though they have not yet furnished a final fiscal analysis of their legislation.

“This is one of the most significant pieces of legislation passed in a decade,” Senate Majority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) said in an interview before the bill’s passage in the Senate. “Things that Americans have longed for, and couldn’t get done.”

The package is the byproduct of the political realities in the narrowly divided Senate, where Republicans stood immovably opposed to the bill and Democrats had to negotiate among themselves to shepherd it to the chamber floor. It hinged on a breakthrough deal negotiated in late July between Schumer and Sen. Joe Manchin III (D-W.Va.), a moderate who nearly eight months ago single-handedly scuttled a previous attempt to advance his party’s agenda. And its fate teetered at one point because of a last-minute snag with Sen. Kyrsten Sinema (D-Ariz.).

To assuage Manchin, Democrats had to give up some of their more ambitious plans — free prekindergarten for all, paid family and medical leave for workers nationwide — and offer new support for fossil fuels. To satisfy Sinema, meanwhile, party leaders repeatedly dialed back their proposed tax policies, particularly those targeting wealthy investors.

In the final hours of debate, Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) tried unsuccessfully to restore some of the jettisoned proposals, including a significant expansion of Medicare to provide dental, vision and hearing coverage to the elderly. Delivering multiple fiery speeches, Sanders implored his colleagues to improve a bill that “does nothing” to address the greatest financial challenges facing families.

Repeatedly, though, Democrats rejected even ideas they once supported — leaving Sanders the lone aye vote on the amendments — as they labored to protect a compromise bill they saw as fragile. Many Democrats emphasized the need to overlook the losses and savor the gains in a package that weeks earlier had seemed out of reach.

“This is not Bernie’s bill. I understand that,” Manchin told reporters Sunday. “But it’s a piece of legislation that’s a tremendous piece of legislation. It’s a balanced approach.”

(...)

For Senate Democrats, though, the outcome marks the latest victory in a spate of legislative accomplishments, including bipartisan efforts to rethink gun laws, improve veterans’ health care and boost the manufacture of much-needed high-tech computer chips. It comes two days after a federal labor report showed the U.S. economy had recovered all the jobs it had lost since the start of the coronavirus pandemic, a positive sign for the president as fears about a recession hover over Washington.

Even before the vote was final, Democratic lawmakers on the chamber floor rejoiced and cheered, shaking hands and hugging, as their Republican counterparts cast their votes and headed for the exits for a month-long summer break. Manchin made a beeline for Schumer’s desk, as the two men leaned their heads together and clasped their hands. Sen. Brian Schatz (D-Hawaii), a proponent of climate change provisions, broke into tears.

The developments offer fresh political fuel for Biden and Democratic leaders as they make their case to voters ahead of the midterm elections. The fast-approaching November contest serves as a referendum on Democratic control of Washington over the past two years — injecting urgency into Democrats’ once-defunct push to pass an economic package.

In a statement, Biden hailed the outcome and praised Democrats for having “sided with American families over special interests.” Acknowledging the “many compromises” that led to the vote, he encouraged the House to act swiftly. Lawmakers could take up the bill Friday.

The prescription drug pricing reforms aim to help cut costs for seniors enrolled in Medicare. It caps their out-of-pocket costs at $2,000 annually, while allowing the U.S. government to negotiate the price of a small set of medicines beginning in 2026. The landmark proposal is expected to save elderly Americans money and achieve billions in savings for Washington over the next decade. Pharmaceutical giants, which forcefully opposed the bill, also would be required to pay “rebates” to the federal government if they raise Medicare drug prices beyond the rate of inflation.

(...)

The precursor bill was vast in scope, provisioning child care, free community college for low-income Americans and subsidized health insurance, along with new provisions to ease immigration. Drawing its name from Biden’s 2020 campaign slogan, its backers — including Sanders, whose budget work helped enable the bill — saw it as the most ambitious legislation since the Great Depression.

But Manchin never supported the sky-high price tag, arguing that it might worsen the country’s fiscal health at a moment of great economic and political uncertainty. The House adopted the bill in November, but the Senate never considered it, as Manchin staked his public opposition — angering his party and drawing a rare rebuke from the White House.

“We were probably too aggressive,” said Sen. Mark R. Warner (D-Va.), a behind-the-scenes negotiator over the past year, reflecting on what went wrong. “The idea we were going to solve virtually every issue in one bill … was probably a bridge too far.”

Schumer and Manchin ultimately worked out their differences, solidified an agreement and sold it to a caucus that had hoped for something more robust. And after a year of failure and countless hours of bickering — and with an election less than three months away — Democrats were eager to take it.

“You could always say, ‘I wanted this, I wanted that,’ but we battled for decades,” said Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.), the leader of the tax-focused Senate Finance Committee.

Paul Kane and Maxine Joselow contributed to this report.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-polic ... t-climate/

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I wonder if that is constructive. I wonder if you just keep feeding the "we are enemies" process.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by Owendonovan »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:57 am I wonder if that is constructive. I wonder if you just keep feeding the "we are enemies" process.
It's certainly constructive to me. I'd say that whomever was laughing is lucky they didn't get living brown word beat out of them. I fully endorse this approach to those disgusting right wing republicans masquerading as patriotic US citizens.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

This is so bad it's laughable.