World News Random, Random

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
Togtdyalttai United States of America

Re: World News Random, Random

Post by Togtdyalttai »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:32 pm Gabriel Boric wins the Chilean elections, making more inroads for the left in L. America.
The only country that has never elected a leftist government is Colombia, which will do so in 22. With that, the majority of the continent will be held by the left, the notable exception being Brazil, being held by the lunatic far right.
I looked at profiles of the two candidates, and Kast, Boric's opponent, seemed to me like a clone of Bolsonaro, which I thought would be worse than Boric. Boric at least seemed to be in favor of democracy. It was a shame that those two had to be the two choices in the runoff though.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Chile has been able NOT to produce extremists. Bachelet was leftist but not one of the loonies in the rest of the continent. Piñera was from the right, but not extreme. I hope Boric will keep that trend, and not go to an extreme.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

Interesting staging

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Translation:
"We know that if Ukraine falls back under control of The USSR Russia, we will be next. Might as well fight them at THAT border".
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:53 pm Translation:
"We know that if Ukraine falls back under control of The USSR Russia, we will be next. Might as well fight them at THAT border".
I think it's more, "We can't do much but we really hate Russia, so we'll do something symbolic and maybe the rest of Europe will grow some balls."

I'm not following why this escalation is in Putin's interest at the moment...
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Your opinion is obviously 10 times worth mine, but I always felt that Putin really, really never got over the dissolution of the USSR. He wants it back, together with the dissolution of the USA.
Which he is 1/4 of the way already.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:05 pm Your opinion is obviously 10 times worth mine, but I always felt that Putin really, really never got over the dissolution of the USSR. He wants it back, together with the dissolution of the USA.
Which he is 1/4 of the way already.
I'm not 100% sure the above is not true, but his motivations are also often driven by some sort of political gain or financial gain, so my first instinct is there is a domestic distraction he needs, but I'm not sure from what specifically at this exact time. Or maybe he's just getting old and feeling particularly imperialistic.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Tl;dr
The prime minister is facing fresh questions after newly published WhatsApp messages with the Tory peer David Brownlow show Johnson called parts of his Downing Street residence a “tip” and asked for “approvals” so his decor designer, Lulu Lytle, could “get on with it” in November 2020.
In British English I think a "tip" is a garbage dump.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

A question for those of you more familiar with Serbia than I am. Is there a country you can compare it to that gives me an idea of the level of democracy there? Because the last few days with the Novak Djerkovic drama have made me question much more what the deal is there. The media seems like it has the appearance of a free press, while not necessarily being one, with many seeming to be something similar to state media. Is that fairly accurate? Because from the things that I read, it sounds like there's been little coverage of any of Novax's testing dates, his post-positive movements, or general inconsistencies from the majority of the major publications there. Seems as if people there can likely find out through other means if they seek it out on their own, but looks like the story being told there is highly skewed, favorable to Djokovic and in line with the way the government wants him to be supported.

So, is there a country that you would say is a good comparison to Serbia?
MJ2004

Post by MJ2004 »

JazzNU wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:50 pm So, is there a country that you would say is a good comparison to Serbia?
:lol: