World News Random, Random

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
mmmm8

Re: World News Random, Random

Post by mmmm8 »

mick1303 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:59 pm Again there is a period of time when there is power and Internet. Things are not getting better though. Pictures of familiar places turned into dust tear my heart. There are already significant destruction in the places where I can walk in 10 minutes. We entertained the thought of fleeing to the Western part of the country. But it is very hard for various reasons. My father refuses to move, believing that by some miracle everything will be OK. All railroads and automobile roads are heavily congested. Besides railroad way is closed to me, because they would not allow men 18-60 on the train. So for the time being my options are limited.

I am leaving an apartment, walking the streets, because otherwise you will just go insane. Explosions at the distance is the thing one can get used to. But all this comes at a cost (psychologically). It is hard to sleep and I constantly feel tired and drift into some kind of numbness.
Mick, given you have limited internet access, I'm just going to drop a few links here that have aggregated information on some potentially helpful resources, especially if you do decide to leave Kharkiv. I'm sure you have a better view, but maybe some of these might help as well. You'll see on the list there are also some hotlines offering medical advice and mental health support:

https://zn.ua/ukr/UKRAINE/korisni-konta ... donom.html (Ukrainian)
https://anywellmag.com/poleznye-kontakt ... ej-177469/ (Russian, this is largely similar to above)
https://ukraineisforever.notion.site/uk ... f2deba6233 (more resources)
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

My family managed to move 250 km to the west to the town of Mirhorod. There is no war here ATM. My wife's aunt gave us shelter. Volunteers moved us two families (6 ppl) by a van. It went rather smoothly, the roads are no longer congested. While moving through the city I saw the signs of destruction myself. Make no mistake, they already targeting civilian infrastructure and residential buildings intentionally. I saw Russian military vehicles burned well inside city limits.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I hope the Russian army and generals get tried for war crimes. Your comment of targeting civilian infrastructure is sickening.
Hope you are well, and that this will end soon. Keep posting, so we will know you are safe.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Jack Detsch
@JackDetsch
Bringing you stories from the Pentagon. National security reporter
@foreignpolicy
. Tell me something new: Signal → 510-439-7894 / email → jack.detsch@gmail.com
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Would that be strategic? Aim at the head, see if that demoralizes the troops?
It is a serious question. How would the Ukrainians know where the generals are?
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

mick1303 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:33 pm My family managed to move 250 km to the west to the town of Mirhorod. There is no war here ATM. My wife's aunt gave us shelter. Volunteers moved us two families (6 ppl) by a van. It went rather smoothly, the roads are no longer congested. While moving through the city I saw the signs of destruction myself. Make no mistake, they already targeting civilian infrastructure and residential buildings intentionally. I saw Russian military vehicles burned well inside city limits.
Good to hear, Mick, although I hope you can go further West at some point. If you decide to exit Ukraine, my understanding is if you go by car, the enforcement of the rules around men under 60 having to stay is not the same at all border areas and it's possible to leave. If you or members of your family decide to do so, please let us know. I have a friend volunteering at the Romanian border and other contacts in Europe that might be able to help if you are not sure where to go/what to do.

For everyone else, MIrhorod means "city of peace." Let's hope it stays that way.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ponchi101 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:19 pm I hope the Russian army and generals get tried for war crimes. Your comment of targeting civilian infrastructure is sickening.
Hope you are well, and that this will end soon. Keep posting, so we will know you are safe.
A big monastery was bombed overnight...
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

No word from Mick since March 12...

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

meganfernandez wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:02 am No word from Mick since March 12...

Worried...
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

meganfernandez wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:02 am No word from Mick since March 12...
His user profile shows that he was logged in today.
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

In case you missed what's been happening in El Salvador...

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

The results of decades of countries that cannot provide education, and later on work, for their youth.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

SIGH

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »