Random, Random 2.0

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
Suliso Latvia

Re: Random, Random 2.0

Post by Suliso »

You maybe remember few years ago on TAT 1.0 I proposed a question - Which events of early 21st century are actually important long term and will be taught to kids in 27th century Argentina? Assuming there still is Argentina. :)
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

Deuce wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:37 pm It's a nice image... but these days, it's much, much, much easier to fabricate such things in photoshop, etc. than it is to capture something like that in reality.
I don't believe it's real for a second.

As a professional photographer said to me when digital photography and digital photo manipulation were starting: "A photo used to be proof that something happened. But now, with the technology, a photo doesn't prove a damned thing. And it's a real shame."

To me, it's not the final image that matters - what matters is if something is real, or if it's fabricated on a computer. I respect the real. I don't respect computer fabricated images, videos, etc. that pass themselves off as real - and that's happening more and more, sadly.
Are we heading towards only believing what we personally do/make/say is true and actual? Is this where we want to be heading? With AI and ever more sophisticated computers will we even have a choice of believing what's real?
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Suliso wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:32 pm You maybe remember few years ago on TAT 1.0 I proposed a question - Which events of early 21st century are actually important long term and will be taught to kids in 27th century Argentina? Assuming there still is Argentina. :)
I would consider 2 possibilities.
The dawn of AI. We will not live to see how much this will change the world or us.
The moment in which CC became impossible to deny (only the most passionate of people that can't see the data do so) and either the solution to it, or the moment the predictions came true.
Or not.
Argentina will not exist in the 27th century. But a lot of countries won't either (Vennieland).
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Owendonovan wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:57 pm ...

Are we heading towards only believing what we personally do/make/say is true and actual? Is this where we want to be heading? With AI and ever more sophisticated computers will we even have a choice of believing what's real?
There is a level of nihilism there that is worrisome.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:49 pm Argentina will not exist in the 27th century. But a lot of countries won't either (Vennieland).
Maybe not, but areas 100+ meters above the sea level will still be there. Whatever the area is called by then who knows...
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I meant because of politics. Argentina and Venezuela are such disastrous structures that eventually splits or secessions will occur.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Owendonovan wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:57 pm
Deuce wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:37 pm It's a nice image... but these days, it's much, much, much easier to fabricate such things in photoshop, etc. than it is to capture something like that in reality.
I don't believe it's real for a second.

As a professional photographer said to me when digital photography and digital photo manipulation were starting: "A photo used to be proof that something happened. But now, with the technology, a photo doesn't prove a damned thing. And it's a real shame."

To me, it's not the final image that matters - what matters is if something is real, or if it's fabricated on a computer. I respect the real. I don't respect computer fabricated images, videos, etc. that pass themselves off as real - and that's happening more and more, sadly.
^ Yes, most definitely. I think they're calling it 'deep fakes' or some such now...
You see it all over sports highlight shows - everyday Joes throwing a basketball over a house into a basketball hoop... throwing a frisbee 1/4 of a mile and hitting a target perfectly, etc...
It's all fake, of course - because even the average person has access to this technology now. And they 'celebrate' as if it was truly accomplished.
As long as it 'looks spectacular', fewer and fewer people today care whether it's real or fake. And that is extremely disturbing.

Criminals are already using AI voice to perfectly replicate people's voices and are using it in the 'Grandparents scheme' (where an older person receives a phone call claiming to be from their grandson/granddaughter who is in some sort of serious trouble and needs money wired right away).
This stuff will only get worse and worse, not better, of course.
But as long as the techno heads are happy showing off all of the technological magic they can create, and are lining their pockets with it, they don't give even half a damn about the very real consequences of their inventions.
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:49 pm I would consider 2 possibilities.
The dawn of AI. We will not live to see how much this will change the world or us.
^ We're well beyond that already.
It has changed people, and has changed the world. The degree will only get more and more significant with time.
And people like me feel that the costs (very real negative consequences) are much too high to justify any benefit.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Post by Owendonovan »

It's made trying to live a fairly simple life difficult, even with some money.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Getting back to formal education...
If this (below) is the kind of thing that passes for education today - and I'm afraid (terrified, actually) it is -, it's very understandable when the education system is soundly criticized.
This is downright pathetic.
Even the mere existence of a 'influencer marketing class' is absolutely pitiful...

This is the future, people.
We are doomed.

Professor Cancels Final Exams Because Student Succeeded in Making a Viral TikTok Video...

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Post by Owendonovan »

If you're not influenced by an influencer, are they really an influencer? (I find the term and the "profession" a bit embarrassing)
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

But that is because you are not. Some of these people really influence others, especially the young.
And, we have to remember. TAT2.0 (and TAT1.0) is like a very large gathering of cats. No one is going to herd this lot.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I'm glad she said this. I put it here because it doesn't really fit any existing thread.

https://www.tumblr.com/mysharona1987/71 ... urce=share
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by Owendonovan »

I've been looking at vintage South Pacific/Hawaiian fabrics on Etsy and I want them all.

Post by Owendonovan »

Someone is blaring MLK's "I have a dream" speech from their apartment which is better than any sermon said in any church this morning, quite a pleasure to hear this enveloping my neighborhood.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein