Random, Random 2.0

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
JazzNU United States of America

Re: Random, Random 2.0

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:38 pm A positive story out of Florida.
He's an Army vet from North Philly. Hasn't lived in Florida long so while all these Floridians are critiquing his performance and saying that's not how you do it, that's not a thing up this way, so he said he had to figure it out and do it his own way,

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:49 am

Well okay. I 100% agree with the "what a terrible day to be literate" Tweet.
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:31 pm You have to be insane.
You have to be insane to live in a place where that's a thing, though I live in CA, and I'm sure people say that about us and earthquakes.

Kevin
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ti-amie wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:49 am

:rofl:
Sure. That's how the Lord wanted it.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by JazzNU »

dmforever wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:24 am
You have to be insane to live in a place where that's a thing, though I live in CA, and I'm sure people say that about us and earthquakes.

Kevin
I'm obviously not a good barometer on this, but I always say I'll take the earthquakes over what most areas have.
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

JazzNU wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:58 am

Kevin
I'm obviously not a good barometer on this, but I always say I'll take the earthquakes over what most areas have.
Logic doesn't really play into our fears, does it? I honestly don't think I could live in a place with 'gators, yet I'm statistically much much much more likely to be killed by a drunk driver, and I've never contemplated giving up driving. I think a lot of it goes back to our beginning as a species, and the fear of being dragged under water and drowning and then being eaten by an alligator triggers the primitive parts of our brains that driving just can't. I'd put earthquakes in there with cars. Even though we may have had to deal with them since we began as a species, they don't trigger that part of the brain, or at least not any more, or at least not for most people. And believe it or not, you get used to them, unless they are really big. But now in many places in this state, you have to add in forest fires, and they are horrific. But for the most part we don't have tornadoes, or hurricanes, or blizzards, or dust storms.

Kevin

p.s. For a great read about people being able to control geology and earthquakes, I highly recommend N.K. Jemisin's The Fifth Season, which is the first book in her Broken Earth Trilogy.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:31 pm You have to be insane.
dude did what he had to do! Brave guy! Hope someone bought him his favorite dinner.

Post by meganfernandez »

dmforever wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:57 am
JazzNU wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:58 am

Kevin
Logic doesn't really play into our fears, does it? I honestly don't think I could live in a place with 'gators, yet I'm statistically much much much more likely to be killed by a drunk driver, and I've never contemplated giving up driving. I think a lot of it goes back to our beginning as a species, and the fear of being dragged under water and drowning and then being eaten by an alligator triggers the primitive parts of our brains that driving just can't. I'd put earthquakes in there with cars. Even though we may have had to deal with them since we began as a species, they don't trigger that part of the brain, or at least not any more, or at least not for most people. And believe it or not, you get used to them, unless they are really big. But now in many places in this state, you have to add in forest fires, and they are horrific. But for the most part we don't have tornadoes, or hurricanes, or blizzards, or dust storms.

Kevin

p.s. For a great read about people being able to control geology and earthquakes, I highly recommend N.K. Jemisin's The Fifth Season, which is the first book in her Broken Earth Trilogy.
I live in a tornado-y area, but they don't loom large over life here. I've never actually been in one. I've seen a funnel cloud from a distance, watched clouds swirl ominously over my house, and have retreated to a basement for shelter, but never actually been in a tornado. So even if you live in places where natural disasters happen, it's not like they rule your life.

When people move to Indiana from a different region, they are most afraid of snowy and icy roads. Those suck, but they are remedied pretty fast, and most people can just stay home until the roads are clear. I am much more worried about bad roads than tornadoes.

I always think I wouldn't move to the Austin area because of the tarantulas. Sounds like they are common house pests there. But millions of people deal with it just fine.

I think experience tells us to fear things like a gator attack or an airplane crash more than statistically common dangers. Let's say I've been on the road 1 million times so far in my life. I'm 1 million for 1 million in success, pretty much. Never been hit by a drunk driver. Never been seriously injured, despite being in a couple crashes. That experience affects how I feel more than the statistic about the likelihood of being hit/hurt by a drunk driver..
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

To be fair it was a tiny croc... Wouldn't work with a saltie in Australia. :)

Post by JazzNU »

dmforever wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:57 am Even though we may have had to deal with them since we began as a species, they don't trigger that part of the brain, or at least not any more, or at least not for most people. And believe it or not, you get used to them, unless they are really big. But now in many places in this state, you have to add in forest fires, and they are horrific. But for the most part we don't have tornadoes, or hurricanes, or blizzards, or dust storms.

Kevin
I can't remember if you're from CA or moved there, but if moved, this is a sign you've been there too long. 😊

I have never once had someone believe when I say earthquakes aren't that big of a deal unless it's the Big One and you get used to them and you can even forget to mention one happened to someone you see later in the day. "If you say so" they say as they look at me like I've lost my mind. Most Californians treat them like the car crash, but outside of CA, and possibly the West Coast since there's just more activity, they freak the heck out at the smallest earthquakes they feel. It's wild watching breaking news of like a 2.9 earthquake.

Wildfires are another thing entirely and scare me plenty, but in terms of hurricanes, tornados, and gators, crocs, panthers, bison and wildlife in general roaming free, I'll take the earthquakes.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

I think I'd prefer wildlife except maybe of poisonous type. I do live in a very boring land for all of this. In my exact spot not even flooding possible.

Post by JazzNU »

Suliso wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:50 pm I think I'd prefer wildlife except maybe of poisonous type. I do live in a very boring land for all of this. In my exact spot not even flooding possible.
Excitement can be very overrated and this is definitely one of those times. Boring sounds lovely on this front.

Post by meganfernandez »

Suliso wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:50 pm I think I'd prefer wildlife except maybe of poisonous type. I do live in a very boring land for all of this. In my exact spot not even flooding possible.
Oh sure. Most wildlife if more afraid of you, and you can control pests and animals. You can't very well control natural disasters.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

You guys always forget those giant spiders in Australia. I'd call this guy and his garbage can to come get it because there's no way I'd stay in a house with one of those.

Exhibit A

via mirror.co.uk
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

JazzNU wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:42 pm
dmforever wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:57 am Even though we may have had to deal with them since we began as a species, they don't trigger that part of the brain, or at least not any more, or at least not for most people. And believe it or not, you get used to them, unless they are really big. But now in many places in this state, you have to add in forest fires, and they are horrific. But for the most part we don't have tornadoes, or hurricanes, or blizzards, or dust storms.

Kevin
I can't remember if you're from CA or moved there, but if moved, this is a sign you've been there too long. 😊

I have never once had someone believe when I say earthquakes aren't that big of a deal unless it's the Big One and you get used to them and you can even forget to mention one happened to someone you see later in the day. "If you say so" they say as they look at me like I've lost my mind. Most Californians treat them like the car crash, but outside of CA, and possibly the West Coast since there's just more activity, they freak the heck out at the smallest earthquakes they feel. It's wild watching breaking news of like a 2.9 earthquake.

Wildfires are another thing entirely and scare me plenty, but in terms of hurricanes, tornados, and gators, crocs, panthers, bison and wildlife in general roaming free, I'll take the earthquakes.
I'm from here. :)
I believe you.
I was in SF for the '89 quake. That was bad. But even so, I still don't freak out when I feel a quake. And if the Big One happens while I'm still alive, I guess I'll come back here after and change this post.

I've posted some of Jill's videos before, but this one relates to this thread...

Kevin