Random, Random 2.0

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: Random, Random 2.0

Post by ponchi101 »

It is a spectacular country, geographically. Very much en par with Venezuela, Peru and Argentina.
Only problem is how to get to these beautiful places. Very much en par with Venezuela, as Peru an Argentina have a better developed tourist industry.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

We're considering our first ever South America trip, maybe next year or the one after. Not decided yet where exactly, but most likely Patagonia. :)
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Suliso wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 3:02 pm We're considering our first ever South America trip, maybe next year or the one after. Not decided yet where exactly, but most likely Patagonia. :)
If you go Argie first:
Buenos Aires. You will have to enter the country that way, anyway.
The Lakes region: Bariloche, San Martin.
The Glacier region. It is incredible.
Try the far south. Ushuaia is a marvel.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Wasn't sure where to put this.

The fascination and focus of the cameraman during the Nadal vs. Zverev match on Sienna Miller was killing me. I assume these are Eurosport cameras and I know she's pretty famous in the UK, but still, I just started laughing at a certain point from just how many times she was shown. I've seen legitimate movie stars shown much less than she was.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

On. The. (expletive). Money.
I still say it. The cell/smart phone is the worst invention of the 20th century.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

But the reality is far worse than the mere inconvenience of the 'pocket phone' ringing at awkward moments...
Having the internet in one's pocket gives 24 hour a day access to the internet and all the garbage within it (cough - 'Social media' - cough), as well as destroying true, meaningful communication between people, encouraging endless gossip, making people more and more intellectually lazy, etc., etc...
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

Deuce wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:15 am But the reality is far worse than the mere inconvenience of the 'pocket phone' ringing at awkward moments...
Having the internet in one's pocket gives 24 hour a day access to the internet and all the garbage within it (cough - 'Social media' - cough), as well as destroying true, meaningful communication between people, encouraging endless gossip, making people more and more intellectually lazy, etc., etc...
A true day off for me is when I leave my phone on the charger. I hate that it's required for me, a physical education teacher, to have my phone on me at all times. My husband hates when I don't have my phone, but he has live with it. If you tell me you'll meet me at 7 pm, I'll believe you. I don't need a text every 10 mins informing of your progress towards me at 7 pm. I could go on and on of how phones have diminished the experience of living......
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

That is why they are so perverse. Don't get me wrong; I have a smartphone and they do offer some fantastic APPS, many of which I use for work. And, googlemaps is an incredible tool for travelers.
But the idea that you MUST be available 24/7/365 is sickening. The idea that anybody can contact you at any time is sick. I live, of course, far from my family but even when I need/want to talk to them, I always message them to ask if I can call. In countries like Colombia, with no laws to regulate use, I wonder what kind of abuse a boss can impart on workers, who must keep their phones on at all times.
All in all, I gather I would rather not have them. How I wish to receive one letter from a friend, one postcard that I can stick to my fridge.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

I'm betting that you're all older than me. :)
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

And wiser... ;)
Yes, it is old foggie's talk. But, you have to admit. We may be (I don't know about Owen or Deuce) part of the generation that grew up without these items, and therefore we can compare how it was then against to what it is now. Business wise, it makes no difference to me as I do not work (or did not work) in offices, so it would not apply to me. But I have been with friends that have received a text from their boss on a Saturday afternoon.
It is basically a very intruding technology. Not to mention, the maniacal surveillance that parents now have over their kids. It is insane.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Indeed, we can compare life before and after these invasive technologies, which gives us a decided advantage and a multi-dimensional perspective.
People used to communicate with each other directly. Now, it's not people communicating with each other, it's one machine communicating with another machine. All communication passes through these technological filters now, which lessens the direct experience.

A few years ago, I was with a woman in a romantic setting - we were alone in a quiet, dark, tranquil place... it was beautiful...
At least, I thought we were alone... Then, all of a sudden, her cell phone makes a noise - to indicate an incoming text message. I was quite upset upon being slapped in the face with this new reality that it's impossible to be alone with someone now, because everyone is carrying 75 people in their pocket, any one of whom could pop up at any time!
(Sure, she turned her cell phone off after the intrusion - but the mood had been ruined.)

A hand written letter is akin to sending a part of you to the person - it is so much more personal than generic type-written words... And hand written letters required effort and thought and were only written when there was something meaningful to share... whereas today, trivial, hollow nothingness is the what is most often shared - because it's so easy.

E mail replaced phone calls/conversations and hand written letters... text messages replaced E mails... 'social media' replaced real direct relationships...
It's not a question of enhancement - it has been outright replacement. The internet and cell phones and ubiquitous availability has replaced real communication with a mere impostor of real communication. Nothing of profound or meaningful value can be communicated in a text message (or 12)! And all of that has led to the deterioration of relationships... because when true communication is lacking, all relationships suffer.

I learned some time ago that the human animal will abuse absolutely everything it comes into contact with. This is how inventions which have wonderful potential to educate - like television, the internet, etc. - become negatives for society.

Thoreau foresaw this when he wrote:
“Our inventions are wont to be pretty toys, which distract our attention from serious things. They are but improved means to an unimproved end... We are in great haste to construct a magnetic telegraph from Maine to Texas; but Maine and Texas, it may be, have nothing important to communicate... We are eager to tunnel under the Atlantic and bring the old world some weeks nearer to the new; but perchance the first news that will leak through into the broad flapping American ear will be that Princess Adelaide has the whooping cough.”
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Those in Canada probably know the name and story of Amanda Todd...
Those in other countries may not know of her. I hope you will read the article linked to below to know her story, as the story and the person deserve to be known.

This is also a cautionary tale about seeking fame, and of the dangers that lurk on the internet - and why children need to be protected now more than ever before - because they are so naive and fragile and because there are many bad things and bad people on the internet.

Amanda Todd Trial Begins...
If this man is guilty - as it certainly seems he is - I would love for him to be sentenced to 5 minutes in a locked room with me.

Please watch this tragically captivating video of Amanda telling her story of depression and desperation and begging for help with flash cards.
I cry every time I watch it.

For those wishing to go deeper into Amanda's story, and who want to get to know her a little better, you can watch this documentary report...

R.I.P. Amal...

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

SIGH
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

This post on reddit/AITA has gone viral with one woman posting a treatise on how this behavior is not pathological. She has had to lock her account because, well, how do you invite people to a wedding and when they get there tell them they can get food from the vending machines? I know about cosplay and other fandoms - Star Wars, LOTR, etc., but really?
AITA for not having catering at my wedding?

My (F28) and my fiancée (M30) just got married two months ago and we had our dream wedding. Everything was perfect, and I mean everything. My parents and his parents helped us pay for a great chunk of the wedding so we would be debt free and we are so eternally grateful for that.

The issue arose about a month and a half ago when my aunt started posting on facebook about how disappointed she was with the whole ordeal and a few guests sided with her.

Background-my fiancée and I are huge Disney fans, and we travel to Disney World as much as we can throughout the year. Disney is such an important part not only to us, but also our marriage.

The issue was with our decision to not offer catering services/bar services at our wedding due to routing the money towards having a wedding Minnie and Mickey make appearances at our special day. The cost to have both Minnie and Mickey for a good chunk of time (30 minutes) was almost exactly what our parents allotted for our catering budget, so we scheduled an appearance during our first dance and our wedding photos, forgoing served food (though there were PLENTY of facilities at the venue where people could eat…).

My parents were still very supportive of us, but everyone is else is being passive aggressive about it on Facebook.

AITA?

EDIT (Info): To those asking if the guests were “warned”, we CLEARLY outlined in the invitations that there was food available at the venue. We didn’t exactly spell out every restaurant’s MENU, but it was certainly mentioned. There were also vending machines available throughout.

EDIT 2 (Info): for everyone saying that’s it’s too much for 30 minutes, I want to clarify that it was two(2) 30 minute sessions on different days. $2750 was the cost for one session.