Random, Random 2.0

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Random, Random 2.0

Post by ti-amie »

I put this here because I'm totally confused about his reasons for being in Belgrade.

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ti-amie wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:08 pm I put this here because I'm totally confused about his reasons for being in Belgrade.

Because in Belgrade he will get support, while in Melbourne he will get deported too for not being vaccinated (I bet).
A simple case of "the bravery of being out of range".
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:09 pm Because in Belgrade he will get support AND POSITIVE MEDIA COVERAGE, while in Melbourne he will get deported too for not being vaccinated (I bet).
A simple case of "the bravery of being out of range".
There, fixed it for ya
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Most popular cars sold in Switzerland in 2021

And here only electric ones

There is the great success of Tesla of course, but also note that 7/15 top sellers belong to Volkswagen group.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

It is going the same way as Linux. A huge initial bump, but then we have to see if it will sustain all the way to a total replacement of ICE cars. Norway is doing great with sales of EV's but, of course, both Norway and Switzerland are very wealthy countries with superb infrastructure. It would have to be seen if any third world country could emulate that, or many places in the USA.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

There was a study done recently on preferences. US still barely wants plug-in electric. Gas is far preferred, and as I mentioned before, Hybrid is a choice for a decent percent and greatly preferred over plug-in, which ranks very low in consumer preference.

And when I see some poor soul sitting for hours behind Panera charging their electric car, it's not exactly difficult to understand why preferences are where they are. Acting like some cushy Tesla life is what's in everyone's future is such a joke.
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

But I can mine crypto with my Tesla, yo
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:45 pm It is going the same way as Linux. A huge initial bump, but then we have to see if it will sustain all the way to a total replacement of ICE cars. Norway is doing great with sales of EV's but, of course, both Norway and Switzerland are very wealthy countries with superb infrastructure. It would have to be seen if any third world country could emulate that, or many places in the USA.
Some data from Colombia, sales of EVs are up considerably vs traditional cars. Tesla are not yet distributing in Colombia, so any Teslas there are imported, seems like

https://globelivemedia.com/world/colomb ... ring-2021/
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

JazzNU wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:36 pm And when I see some poor soul sitting for hours behind Panera charging their electric car, it's not exactly difficult to understand why preferences are where they are. Acting like some cushy Tesla life is what's in everyone's future is such a joke.
Obviously Swiss (and Norwegians) strongly disagree. ICE cars will be phased out by law in most countries on the continent within 10-15 years (Norway first). We won't all be driving Tesla's though, there are cheaper solutions available (VW and Skoda, for example).

If I had a house (I don't) and needed a car (also don't) I'd probably only consider an electric car.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Just to clarify sales of new ICE's will be phased out. You can continue to drive the older ones as long as they're road worthy.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

mmmm8 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:23 pm
Some data from Colombia, sales of EVs are up considerably vs traditional cars. Tesla are not yet distributing in Colombia, so any Teslas there are imported, seems like

Looks like percentages of EVs are up considerably. The EV sales themselves look rather paltry. Registered 3,651 units of electric and hybrid cars between January and April?

mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

JazzNU wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:48 pm
mmmm8 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:23 pm

Looks like percentages of EVs are up considerably. The EV sales themselves look rather paltry. Registered 3,651 units of electric and hybrid cars between January and April?

Yes, sorry, I meant up as a fraction of total sales of new cars. Overall, there were 173,121 new cars sold in 2020, so it's a very small percentage (a similar one to the US, I believe) and overall the market is small.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Those markets are just going to skyrocket in the next 5-10 years as long as infrastructure can keep up.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Yes. When you read the article, it seems there was some errors in editing. It claims that there were three million units sold, which has to be the total amount of cars, EV, ICE or Hybrids, sold. No way that that we would sell 3 million EV's down here.
Cars here are not cheap. Plus, one problem is, where to plug them. For example, I simply cannot buy an EV because my garage does not have a plug and, of course, I could not install a V440 outlet there. So, as most people in Bogota, I cannot buy an EV not because of other factors (right now, I can't afford it) but because of the logistics.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:10 pm Yes. When you read the article, it seems there was some errors in editing. It claims that there were three million units sold, which has to be the total amount of cars, EV, ICE or Hybrids, sold. No way that that we would sell 3 million EV's down here.
Cars here are not cheap. Plus, one problem is, where to plug them. For example, I simply cannot buy an EV because my garage does not have a plug and, of course, I could not install a V440 outlet there. So, as most people in Bogota, I cannot buy an EV not because of other factors (right now, I can't afford it) but because of the logistics.
The 3 million is global EVs. I had to reread that paragraph 3 times.