Random, Random 2.0

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
dryrunguy

Re: Random, Random 2.0

Post by dryrunguy »

Owendonovan wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:09 pm
dryrunguy wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:43 pm I just counted 79 Canada geese in the pasture field across the road. They're taking over.
Are their droppings good fertilizer?
LOL! I have no idea. But they've been camped out here for a few weeks now. They love my pond. And they love the rain and how it washes so many insects and worms above ground. It's raining right now, so they are having a feeding frenzy.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

dryrunguy wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:43 pm I just counted 79 Canada geese in the pasture field across the road. They're taking over.
Don't know a Canada geese from other kinds of geese, but there are plenty of some kind in my area. It feels like they worked on their population during the pandemic because I'm seeing them more frequently in more places in the last several months.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

You're doomed.

Owen mentioned their droppings and I agree with him. Hope they're good for fertilizing the field.

Geese, and I've witnessed Canada geese in action, are the meanest birds on the planet. They will attack at the drop of a hat.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

JazzNU wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:35 pm
Don't know a Canada geese from other kinds of geese, but there are plenty of some kind in my area. It feels like they worked on their population during the pandemic because I'm seeing them more frequently in more places in the last several months.
canada goose.jpg
Every year, we have a pair of Canadian geese that come to the pond to nest and hatch. And every now and then, we have a flock of geese that come to visit for a few hours--or a few days at most.

But these geese have set up shop.

They don't bother anything. They just make lots and lots of noise when they are about to take off for a fly. But lately, they've been just taking off, flying a few circles around my property, and then landing in my pond or back in the pasture field where they took off about 90 seconds before. Bizarre.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

ti-amie wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:37 pm
You're doomed.

Owen mentioned their droppings and I agree with him. Hope they're good for fertilizing the field.

Geese, and I've witnessed Canada geese in action, are the meanest birds on the planet. They will attack at the drop of a hat.
They generally don't bother the sheep or even us humans.

Now, when they're nesting or preparing to nest, THAT is a different story. In fact, one of the funniest things to watch in late spring every year is when my young lambs get curious about the pair of geese that nests here, and then the geese chase them away. And yes, they've been known to bite a lamb bum or two until the lambs learn to stay away from that part of the pond.

That pair of geese will also attack my ducks that fly down to the pond to take a bath. Seriously, it looks like the geese are trying to drown them. But they haven't killed one yet. The ducks just swim to the edge of the pond, get out, and then run or fly back to the barn.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

The geese near me are of the fairly pleasant variety I believe. I haven't noticed them bothering anyone. They travel with their family, cross the street whenever they are ready, traffic be damned, in single-file line and manage not to die as everyone tries to avoid crashing into one another as the suddenly come to a complete stop. But by and large, they congregate in areas that I believe were their homes where ponds or creeks are or were and building has disrupted that somewhat over the years.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

I see Canada geese fairly often when I go to the river here. They are NOT instinctively mean at all.
They comfortably swim past me with their 8 or 10 young in tow, coming within 5 or 6 feet of me as I sit on a rock (I have had several different families - with the youngins of various ages - swim past me without any problem).
They are large, and could be intimidating if they choose to be - but as long as I don't bother them, they are fine with me. My presence alone doesn't threaten them.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Post of the Day

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

She is the funniest person on Twitter.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

She is a fun kind of nut.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

That is not a galaxy. That is a water drain with some soapy water.
Just like the shot of the salami :P
(Nah, that one is real).
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ti-amie wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:34 pm
So this universe thing is apparently pretty big, huh?
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

Looks like the night sky while on mushrooms.