Science/Techno Babble Random, Random

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
Suliso Latvia

Re: Science/Techno Babble Random, Random

Post by Suliso »

There are a lot of cool developments in batery technology lately. Maybe should put up some links later...
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I had this idea about putting a shield at the Lagrange point 1 about 4/5 years ago. However, I felt it should be a satellite with some sort of circular plane, divided in panels that could be rotated. That way, simple manipulation of the satellite could increase or decrease the shielding, allowing for more or less sunlight to reach the Earth.
One thing. This idea is excellent, but the factor that LESS sunlight means LESS energy available for photosynthesis has to be considered. We could cool down the planet, but calculations on how much our agricultural efforts would be affected would have to be computed.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

My first instinct is that it would mess with something else, but I could be wrong...
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ANY IDEA that was originally concocted by me will mess with something else. ANY ;)
Seriously. Sure, it has to be very well thought. This idea of bubbles is fine, as long as there is a way to remove them in case something goes wrong (for example, they could be TOO efficient and trigger an Ice Age).
But, by now, some sort of geo-engineering has to be done. We are way past the point of just hoping that simple emissions-reduction will put this back under control. We need to extract CO2 from the atmosphere, either by planting more trees or some yet-to-be-invented technology. So that shield at LP1 could be of help.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Ok, Joe. Agree, that is incredible. Makes you realize, if that were possible, the enormity of the universe.
But: what is it? Obviously a huge field, but give us at least the link to the info.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

This is something that we, humankind, can be so proud of. As proud of this as we can be of Stonehenge, The Pyramids, Notre Dame, all the beautiful music in our history, all of our literature, all of our art.
All of our science.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Another beauty...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Wow. Simply wow.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Earth is spinning faster than usual and had its shortest day ever
BY CAITLIN O'KANE

AUGUST 3, 2022 / 8:30 AM / CBS NEWS

The Earth is spinning faster, and recently recorded its shortest day ever, scientists say. June 29, 2022 was 1.59 millisecond less than the average day, scientist Leonid Zotov told CBS News.

The normal length of day is 24 hours, or 86,400 seconds. But in recent years, the Earth's rotation has accelerated, shortening some days by milliseconds. "Since 2016 the Earth started to accelerate," said Zotov, who works at works for Lomonosov Moscow State University and recently published a study on what might cause the changes in Earth's rotation. "This year it rotates quicker than in 2021 and 2020."

Zotov and his colleagues believe the fluctuation could be caused by the Earth's tides.

He says not every day is shorter, but if the trend continues, atomic time – the universal way time is measured on Earth – may have to change. Some scientists propose introducing a negative leap second. "Since we can not change the clock arrows attached to the Earth rotation, we adjust the atomic clock scale," he said.

As opposed to leap years, which have an extra day added, a negative leap second would mean clocks skip one second.

Some engineers oppose the introduction of a leap second, as it could lead to large-scale and devastating tech issues. Meta engineers Oleg Obleukhov and Ahmad Byagowi, who is also a researcher, wrote blog post about it for Meta, which is supporting an industry-wide effort to stop future introductions of leap seconds.

"Negative leap second handling is supported for a long time and companies like Meta often run simulations of this event," they told CBS News. "However, it has never been verified on a large scale and will likely lead to unpredictable and devastating outages across the world."

The concept, which was introduced in 1972, "mainly benefits scientists and astronomers as it allows them to observe celestial bodies using UTC [Coordinated Universal Time] for most purposes," they wrote in the blog post.

"Introducing new leap seconds is a risky practice that does more harm than good, and we believe it is time to introduce new technologies to replace it," they write.

While positive leap seconds could cause a time jump, resulting in IT programs crashing or even data being corrupted, a negative leap second would be worse, they argue.

"The impact of a negative leap second has never been tested on a large scale; it could have a devastating effect on the software relying on timers or schedulers," they write. "In any case, every leap second is a major source of pain for people who manage hardware infrastructures."

The pair believes one of many contributing factors to Earth's faster spin could be the constant melting and refreezing of ice caps on the world's tallest mountains.

"It is all about the law of conservation of momentum that applies to our planet Earth. Every atom on the planet contributes to the momentum of the earth's angular velocity based on the distance to the rotation axis of the earth," Obleukhov and Byagowi told CBS News. "So, once things move around, the angular velocity of the earth can vary."

"This phenomenon can be simply visualized by thinking about a spinning figure skater, who manages angular velocity by controlling their arms and hands," they said. "As they spread their arms the angular velocity decreases, preserving the skater's momentum. As soon as the skater tucks their arms back in, the angular velocity increases. Same happens here at this moment because of rising temperatures on Earth. Ice caps melt and lead to angular velocity increase."

Zotov and his colleagues Christian Bizouard and Nikolay Sidorenkov will present their research at this month's Asia Oceania Geosciences Society conference for geosciences, according to Timeanddate.com, which first reported on Earth's faster spin and shorter days.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/earth-spin ... -day-ever/
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ti-amie wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:58 pm Earth is spinning faster than usual and had its shortest day ever
BY CAITLIN O'KANE

AUGUST 3, 2022 / 8:30 AM / CBS NEWS

The Earth is spinning faster, and recently recorded its shortest day ever, scientists say. June 29, 2022 was 1.59 millisecond less than the average day, scientist Leonid Zotov told CBS News.

The normal length of day is 24 hours, or 86,400 seconds. But in recent years, the Earth's rotation has accelerated, shortening some days by milliseconds. "Since 2016 the Earth started to accelerate," said Zotov, who works at works for Lomonosov Moscow State University and recently published a study on what might cause the changes in Earth's rotation. "This year it rotates quicker than in 2021 and 2020."
Yeah... I've felt that something's been different these past few years... It has just felt like something's a little off, mostly with my forehand - but I didn't know exactly what.
Now I know.
:D

True story...
Some years ago, after a lefty beat me in a tennis tournament, at the handshake, I said to him, with a straight face "Good match... Of course, you had the advantage, as the current rotation of the Earth, combined with the current orbit of the moon favours lefties."
He looked at me like I was from another planet.
About 30 minutes later, I heard him say to someone, while pointing toward me "You see that guy? I just beat him, and he said I had an advantage because the rotation of the Earth and something about the moon helps left handed players. Weird, man... just weird."
:lol:
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

How does that affect Climate Change? Will it reflect sunlight (helping us)? Or will it capture more heat (frying us)?