Science/Techno Babble Random, Random

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: Science/Techno Babble Random, Random

Post by ponchi101 »

ti-amie wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:42 pm ...

Sadly it seems that that goal of making it a "clean platform" means to some that all of the trolls and people who threaten others with physical harm will be free to threaten people with physical harm. It would also mean the spreading of disinformation and conspiracy theories for those who engage in those things.

Again, we'll see.
You know that I am not in TW or any social media platform. But my idea of them all is that, for every grandmother that enjoys seeing pictures of her grandchildren, there are ten people pushing misinformation. I like TW the way I have it: it has a great filter system, namely you.
But I do believe that TW has become dangerous. The cons, to me, beat the pros. As the next message you posted explains a lot of why it is dangerous on either direction. In the hands of Musk, it may be dangerous. And completely open and un-reigned, it certainly looks dangerous to me.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Don't forget Musk is not liquid. He's leveraged up the wazoo. He would have to liquidate a lot of his Tesla shares in order to have real hard cash. Chase made a big deal about putting up money.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Anyone who thinks or thought that Musk's aim in acquiring ownership of anything was/is anything other than selfish and self-serving is living in a grand illusion.
Firstly, there is a perpetual p!ssing contest going on between the richest people in the world, with each trying to out-do each other, and none of them giving a damn about the consequences of their actions to others.
Secondly, Elon Musk is a psychologically defective human being with a very twisted sense of reality.

Hold onto your hats, people - all of this crap is only going to get worse.

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Donald Trump says Elon Musk “is a good man”.
After that wonderful endorsement, if anyone is still questioning whether or not Musk is really a conceited, arrogant, juvenile S.O.B., here you go...

Musk Embarks on a Series of Bizarre Twitter Claims - Including About Coke...

This total flake really can’t afford to kill off any more brain cells.

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Don't make a mistake of thinking the man is stupid like Trump. It's nothing of a sort, he's a brilliant engineer/scientist in fact. Closely involved in design at both Tesla and SpaceX.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

He is one of those "brilliant/dumb" people, to me. As you say, he is very smart in the engineering aspects. He is also very good at marketing (Tesla's sales approach is changing that industry too) and financial aspects.
But he seems to be out of touch with how to handle people and PR. That is where I would call him "dumb".
Bottom line to me: nobody makes $100BB being dumb. Nobody.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

I suspect he has some kind Asperger's syndrome or something like that. Those people are very focused and brilliant in some directions, but socially awkward.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:38 pm Bottom line to me: nobody makes $100BB being dumb. Nobody.
Yes and no. People who become rich from modest means have a great business sense, know how to hire and fire well etc., but would often be useless if you asked them anything highly technical. Not so with Elon Musk. He has BSc in physics and was accepted at Stanford PhD program in materials science before dropping out to launch an internet startup.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Modest means? His family owned/owns emerald mines in South Africa. And let's not forget the role the US government has played in funding him.

Tesla stock is in free fall by the way and some on the Tesla board are calling for his ouster. He has to unload a lot of stock to come up with the $$$.

There was also this interesting conversation on Twitter today.

P1 (URL Limits)
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

p2

Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

ti-amie wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:11 pm Modest means? His family owned/owns emerald mines in South Africa. And let's not forget the role the US government has played in funding him.
Didn't know about the mine, but it's my understanding he can't stand his father and keeps no contact with him.

As for US government for once they invested money smartly. Two technologically amazing companies came out of it. Spacex probably even more so than Tesla, albeit the latter is globally more important.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Suliso wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:08 pm I suspect he has some kind Asperger's syndrome or something like that. Those people are very focused and brilliant in some directions, but socially awkward.
I can understand the perspective of him having some form of Autism, based on his behaviour... But I doubt that he's anywhere within the Autism spectrum. He's too selfish and scheming and manipulative for that. In my experience and observation, people with Asperger's or other forms of Autism are not scheming or manipulative (I've worked with Autistic/Asperger children and teenagers, but not adults). People in the Autism spectrum often have exaggerated feelings - though it may seem that they have very few feelings... whereas I think that Musk has an almost complete absence of feelings. Kind of like what we would imagine an automaton or robot of some sort would be.

I believe that Musk definitely has a very distorted view of reality... but I have no idea how that came about. Maybe some physical/biological defect... maybe abuse or neglect by his parents... maybe too many drugs... maybe all of the above... or perhaps some other reason altogether.
This distorted view of reality has likely helped him in some ways (like not seeing obstacles where obstacles exist, for example)... but it has surely hurt him in many ways, as well.

I also view him as a person of little to no emotion - and when emotion does occur within him, I doubt he has control over it.
He is obviously ambitious - but completely lacks empathy for any other being, I believe. He is his only world - and the outside world in which the rest of us exist doesn't seem to exist to him. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he tortured cats when he was a kid.
I just feel that he's always right on the edge of what we commonly refer to as 'sanity'. Many geniuses throughout history have been on the edge of sanity - and some have gone over the edge. If Musk goes over the edge (in a big way, as I think he's already gone somewhat over the edge a number of times), you could count me as being the least surprised of everyone.
R.I.P. Amal...

ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Elon Musk seems likely headed for bankruptcy..he has almost certainly been infected with hubris..I am not sure even Tesla is sustainable as a business model though it is an engineering Marvel ..how many years has Tesla turned an actual profit? One at most...
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Because all their profits were re-invested in the company, expanding it. That was the same model that Amazon followed, and they are far from bankrupt-
Tesla is the Apple of cars. They have by now a solid following and a cult environment: NOTHING that Tesla does is bad. They are the sacrosanct car company, fighting the evil polluters and saving the planet all by themselves (the usual line of thought). Their cars are very good, from the electric point of view, even if some of them are less than well put together (the Model 3). Plus, they are very distinct in their design, with a very clean and crisp form. So, they have their market, and it is cornered. Again, it is like Apple: it matters very little that Samsung has repeatedly come up with better phones than the iPhone, in the USA the standard is whichever new one Apple comes up with. With Tesla, it works the same. It makes no difference if Lucid has a better car, or if the MB EQS is also better. Tesla has the reputation.
Also, Tesla is indeed a leader in battery development and, if we ever are going to go fully electric from intermittent sources such as wind and solar, Tesla will play a huge role. The largest home battery pack available in the market is their powerwall, so they are way ahead than everybody else in that market.
Tesla is past the point of being "sustainable". They are leaders in that sector. By now, all European or American car companies can come up with electrics and Tesla will continue to sell every single car they make. That is a solid foundation.
(BTW. I don't like Tesla's. Too many gadgets)
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Ponchi is right for sure on this one. Tesla was actually close to going bankrupt 4-5 years ago, but there is no way of that happening now. They're literally printing money and would be printing even more if their manufacturing capacity could keep up with the demand.

As for rivals in Europe it seems like only VW is seriously competing in battery electric vehicles. Too many big players still seem to be hoping that the trend will somehow pass. In US there is virtually no competition at all if you've already decided that you want an electric one.