Science/Techno Babble Random, Random

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: Science/Techno Babble Random, Random

Post by ponchi101 »

Wow! Look at the resolution.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Are we certain that it isn't just another macro shot of a chorizo?
:D
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

This Rare Asteroid May Be Worth 70,000 Times the Global Economy. Now NASA’s Sending a Spaceship to Explore It.

It would solve so many issues.
But. How do you get all that metal back to Earth? Do you want it back on Earth? How about mining it for space exploration? Or could you eventually move it and put it in the Lagrange point between the Earth and the Moon? Mine it there (deliver stuff to both bodies)?
Useful science fiction.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

It was just a matter of time before this ridiculessness set in...
"Oh, dear... we've created a monster that will be abused more often than it will be used for good. Of course, that was entirely and extremely predictable - but we completely disregarded that. Uhhh... what shall we do now?"

"Hey wait a minute... If we create something that's able to detect the monster we created, we can make a lot of money on BOTH ends of this thing!"

This is the very definition of chasing one's tail (and getting rich in the process)...
Around and around it goes, in endless circles...

Chat GPT Creators Launch Tool to Detect AI Generated Text...

:roll:
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

This will affect Legal Twitter, people who post videos of animals and cute pets, and news organizations. Also sports outlets that post live video.

I did a search today to find out where the people I follow are on Mastodon. If most of tennis twitter moved I'd be happy but right now it's just a few of us fans so we have to use the bird app which, if this takes effect, will be useless for media.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Two things.
TWT has not gone belly up, down under, or bankrupt.
It remains the most important platform of its type.
Maybe this guy just tested the market to the core. And he now knows he has a monopoly on this, and that regardless of what he does most people will remain in TWT because this is nothing more than the rat pressing the lever, for most people.
And if a third party shorted this thing properly, he (and them) will make a killing.

---0---
TWT, FB, IG and TikTok HAVE to be regulated. They are basically trading in dopamine.

Edit: Please notice I say MOST PEOPLE. A gather a lot of people can control it.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ChatGPT keeps making noise:
ChatGPT may be coming for our jobs. Here are the 10 roles that AI is most likely to replace.

I liked this part:
However, users of ChatGPT also found that the bot can generate misinformation, incorrectly answer coding problems, and produce errors in basic math.

1. SO: it generates misinformation. Because, you know, there is NO market for that.
2. Incorrectly answer coding problems. Ok, that may be a biggie for some companies.
3. Produce errors in basic math. So do people. And, besides, how hard would it be to code it so that, when it faces a math problem, it does send the query to the last real person employed by the former 500 employees company?

BTW. Add Safety personnel. We produce A LOT, and I do mean A LOT, of manuals and procedural training. Sounds like this thing can do a lot of what I do, except go to the field and check on...
Oh, how come I did not think of ChatGPT DRONE? Silly me...
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:46 am regardless of what he does most people will remain in TWT because this is nothing more than the rat pressing the lever, for most people.
Bingo.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

brooklynmarie@mastodon.lol
Carly Sagan
@carlysagan@mastodon.social
Over 100 Starlink satellites have launched this week alone. The megaconstellations are a major change to our entire planet and yet there is no “megaconstellation field of study” bc it is happening too fast to study. I believe this is the biggest mistake of human history. We can’t blot out the stars and kill off ground-based astrophysics and expect good things.

Prof. Sam Lawler
@sundogplanets@mastodon.social
And that was a year ago. Starlink has launched (I (expletive) you not) 1,700 more satellites into orbit since then, with 1,500 of those currently operational. According to @planet4589's extremely thorough website, there are now almost 3,500 Starlinks in orbit. https://planet4589.org/space/con/star/stats.html

According to Celestrak (another extremely thorough website https://celestrak.org/NORAD/elements/) there are 7,200 satellites IN TOTAL. Starlink is almost half of them, and they did that in 3.5 years.

https://planet4589.org/space/con/star/stats.html

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Felix Salmon
@felix@saturation.social
I really want to know how @Choire managed to plug X=5 into 2X+X/3 and come out with an answer of 1.45. This is a serious question. How on earth do you even do that

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Owendonovan wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:33 am
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:46 am regardless of what he does most people will remain in TWT because this is nothing more than the rat pressing the lever, for most people.
Bingo.
I did a search using "debirdafy" to find people I follow on Mastodon. You can find anyone regardless of which silo or whatever they call it there and follow them. Almost no one from Tennis Twitter is there. This is why people are staying on the bird app. There are communities that have developed over the years and if no one from that community - when it comes to tennis twitter I'm talking journalists, bloggers, etc. has moved you end up being the rodent pressing the lever. I think this new policy might change that though. I'm going to look again in another week and see who has moved.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:46 am Two things.
TWT has not gone belly up, down under, or bankrupt.
It remains the most important platform of its type.
Maybe this guy just tested the market to the core. And he now knows he has a monopoly on this, and that regardless of what he does most people will remain in TWT because this is nothing more than the rat pressing the lever, for most people.
I disagree. Charging for the Twitter API is a bizarre move that seems like it will start pushing people out the door, potentially at a rapid pace. Twitter is nothing today without that free API and it's hard to imagine it will thrive once it's gone.

And I get it, you hate social media. But since you don't use it, I think you aren't really seeing what changes are occurring and how they are coming off. The changes up until now have been fairly minor, even though some are annoying or mildly concerning from a technical standpoint, majorly concerning in a larger way, but the site has the same feel. However one uses Twitter has stayed almost the same since his takeover. That can change greatly without the free API.

This is a staggeringly shortsighted and seemingly desperate decision, in contention for the dumbest, most costly business move of the week with Netflix.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:14 am

This will affect Legal Twitter, people who post videos of animals and cute pets, and news organizations. Also sports outlets that post live video.

I did a search today to find out where the people I follow are on Mastodon. If most of tennis twitter moved I'd be happy but right now it's just a few of us fans so we have to use the bird app which, if this takes effect, will be useless for media.

Just FYI, it affects way more than that. Developers are screwed. The number of content creators that use the API is massive. The number of unproblematic and highly useful bots that use the API on Twitter is enormous (and this will not deter the problematic bots set on mayhem or scamming). Some stuff is cute or entertaining, but there's plenty that is much more serious and vital like public service alerts. Twitter has yet to say clearly if there are exemptions from this, like if government agencies and researchers will be able to keep using it free of charge or for a low, flat fee.

Also, this is going to cause people to actually lose jobs. There are companies that built off of that API that Twitter greatly benefited from developing off of and it may not be cost effective for them to stay if that's even an option, some things have just been killed, no option to pay to stay. The pricing is comparatively high, and that's against services that charge, not Instagram, Facebook and YouTube that have free APIs. It's really bizarre because it seems like this will make Twitter's advertising situation worse, not better.

Tennis Twitter is probably not a big user of the API in a major way, but given how many times i see the same articles, scores, and gambling lines posted, it will reduce tennis related content for sure. Regular posting from many fans should be fine. But, I'd be shocked if some tennis journalists who post on a frequent basis to Twitter aren't utilizing the API in some way, likely thru a third-party app. Most third party apps died a sudden death about 2 weeks ago when they started killing those off, but still, those all ran off the Twitter API.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Elon Musk Is Running Scared From Mastodon; Cuts Off The Best Tool For Finding Your Twitter Followers There

(Mis)Uses of Technology

from the trying-to-lock-the-barn-doors dept
Fri, Feb 3rd 2023 10:23am - Mike Masnick

People keep claiming that Mastodon isn’t scaring Elon Musk, but it’s pretty clear that he’s worried about the exodus of people from Twitter. With his bizarrely short-sighted decision to end free access to the Twitter API, driving developers over to Mastodon, some people realized that the various tools that people use to find their Twitter followers on Mastodon are likely to be cut off. It’s unclear if this was part of the motivation for ending free access to the API, but it did create a surge in people checking out those tools. But then, last night, just hours after the API announcement, Elon’s Twitter cut off API access to Movetodon, which was the nicest, easiest to use tool for finding and following your Twitter followers on Mastodon.

As when Musk cut off third party client developers, the company has not said what rule Tibor actually broke with Movetodon. And that’s likely because he wasn’t actually breaking any rules at all.

It’s just that Musk is running scared, because he knows people are leaving.

Either way, if you haven’t yet set up a Mastodon account, and you’d like to more easily find your Twitter follows and followers who have already moved over (and found it much better than Twitter), you should probably do so soon before Musk cuts off those other services as well.

The two other popular ones after Movetodon were Debirdify and Fedifinder. They seem to be working right now, but I’m assuming not for long. Almost certainly not after Musk institutes his fees for API access. So, even if you don’t plan on using Mastodon for now, it might make sense to set up an account before these tools disappear.

https://www.techdirt.com/2023/02/03/elo ... ers-there/