The 'Mental Health' of Athletes...

Our main board to talk about our sport
mmmm8

Re: The 'Mental Health' of Athletes...

Post by mmmm8 »

I think we know now Agassi's "image as everything" was in direct relation to his mental health issues and a lot of it was tempered by the time they married.

P.S. Can we take out the quotation marks out of the title of this thread? I don't think that was the intention, but it's pretty insulting.
Deuce Canada

Re: The 'Mental Health' of Athletes...

Post by Deuce »

mmmm8 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:22 pm I think we know now Agassi's "image as everything" was in direct relation to his mental health issues and a lot of it was tempered by the time they married.

P.S. Can we take out the quotation marks out of the title of this thread? I don't think that was the intention, but it's pretty insulting.
I, personally, have always viewed Agassi as a phony - even well after his flamboyant 'image is everything' stage (which was clearly born of his personal insecurity).
I saw his later persona (as the 'respectable elder statesman' of tennis) to be quite consistent with his 'image is everything' motto - that being the image he wished to convey at that time in his life.

In the early 90s, a tour umpire said to me "When Agassi first came on the tour, he was telling everyone about Jesus Christ. A year later, he had completely forgotten who Jesus Christ was, and everything was about himself."

As for the single quotation marks of 'mental health', I put them for the same reason I put 'social media' and other things in single quotation marks - because they are 'catch phrases'. Even 'catch phrases' is a 'catch phrase'. That's simply the way I write.
You can interpret it in whichever manner you wish - but that is the honest reason why I did it.

Also, 'mental health' can encompass many, many different and varied aspects and elements, which is another reason for the single quotation marks.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower