Talk about the NFL

For those 4 months of the year
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: Talk about the NFL

Post by ponchi101 »

I say, you should get about 10 extra points in the NFL Challenge. :clap: :clap: :clap:
(Wait. You are ahead of me... uhm)
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

Lamar and tua out for first round is disappointing
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

It is. It almost seals those games.
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

I don`t think Tua playing would have given Miami much of a chance regardless.

Lamar not playing is huge though.
:steven:
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ptmcmahon wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:06 pm I don`t think Tua playing would have given Miami much of a chance regardless.

Lamar not playing is huge though.
Agree. I think the Bills will not lose to Miami, even if 25 yo Dan Marino time travels for this game.
The Ravens with Lamar would make it competitive.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

You are up by 27 and have Herbert.
Does this deserve a firing? They lost because of the dumb penalties by Bosa, not the coach.
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

And is required of me...I must point out that PART of the reason Jacksonville won was because at 30-26 they go for two - so the field goal at the end wins it instead of ties it. :) It was only after a penalty which meant they'd have to go from the one yard line.

So again, going by the stats does help people win sometime, doesn't only cost teams games. It's just not going to get the same level of credit as the same level of blame would've happened if they don't make it. I enjoyed how uneasy it made Al Michaels and Tony Dungy thinking about Jacksonville doing it.

One thing I still hate seeing myself is teams running down the clock to say 3-4 seconds before the attempt to only give themselves one chance. If I'm HC I run it to ten seconds to give myself a second chance for bad snap, etc.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ptmcmahon wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:53 am And is required of me...I must point out that PART of the reason Jacksonville won was because at 30-26 they go for two - so the field goal at the end wins it instead of ties it. :) It was only after a penalty which meant they'd have to go from the one yard line.

So again, going by the stats does help people win sometime, doesn't only cost teams games. It's just not going to get the same level of credit as the same level of blame would've happened if they don't make it. I enjoyed how uneasy it made Al Michaels and Tony Dungy thinking about Jacksonville doing it.

One thing I still hate seeing myself is teams running down the clock to say 3-4 seconds before the attempt to only give themselves one chance. If I'm HC I run it to ten seconds to give myself a second chance for bad snap, etc.
Proper stats. You are slowly building up your case.
But.. (as is required of me ;) )
They went for two AFTER Bousa did that truly stupid helmet toss and moved the line to the 1-yard line. What are the chances of converting ANY TD from the 1-yard line? I say it is high. The equation changed.

Remember my point. I say that going for it EARLY in the game is dumb; going for a 4 & 1, within field goal range, in Q1, may come to bite you back. In this game, the Jags were in desperation mode very early on, so the call we are talking about seemed more acceptable.

But: I concede your point. This time, going for 2 instead of 1 and setting up a winning FG instead of a tying FG paid off.

Your point of running the clock down to 3-4 secs is also solid. You would need to gauge: what is more statistically possible: a bad snap, or a kick off return for a TD? Uhm.... data, data, data.
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Against the Bills last week that may have been a very bad choice yes :D

My point overall more is just there is lots of hate when problem going with the stats doesn’t work out and they get blamed. But when it works they aren’t often credited. The NFL has always been conservative this way where many people and coaches play not to lose often instead of playing to win.

The Bosa penalty made an easy decision yes. It probably was the right call even without the extra yard(s?) and I was already wondering if they might consider it. Either way they need to get ball back and score again.

Another odd thing I find coaches doing is waiting until last possible opportunity to go for two if you just need one. Say you’re down 22, most coaches will try for three touchdowns but not go do two until the last one and it’s tied. I think the much smarter play is to go for it right away so you have more time to adjust. In that case you could go for two twice more to make up for it.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

The talking head for ESPN down here (showing Bills-Fins) just said: "Sorry, Skylar Thompson. You are too good of a QB for these receivers".
They have dropped him at least three huge plays, on very, very, very good passes.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Calling Rodgers Least Valuable Player is sadly pretty spot on.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

We will see, but running away from that ridiculous contract that Rodgers got will be impossible.
Only Dave Chappelle runs away from millions of dollars. Nobody else.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

So this happened and they pretty much had to yeet Mahomes off the sidelines to get his ankle looked at. (Yeet means to throw). He was visibly arguing with Reid.

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »