5%
These breaks do not affect in any way my enjoyment of the game
13%

Total votes: 63

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

The MTO/Toilet Break poll

Post by ponchi101 »

Somehow, I just don't think this issue will go away any time soon.
As I put in four opposite options, you can select as many as four. Names of voters will not be shown.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
skatingfan Canada

Re: The MTO/Toilet Break poll

Post by skatingfan »

I don't know about coach, but the player still on the court should hand a racquet to one of the ball kids just to keep their feet moving.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

skatingfan wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:33 pm I don't know about coach, but the player still on the court should hand a racquet to one of the ball kids just to keep their feet moving.
I am sure many of the ball kids can rally. And I also wonder why they just don't keep serving. 3/4 pace, one serve every 20 seconds. Anything, but keep that blood rushing.
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:53 pm I am sure many of the ball kids can rally. And I also wonder why they just don't keep serving. 3/4 pace, one serve every 20 seconds. Anything, but keep that blood rushing.
I don't think the ball kids would be allowed this year, because other than the tennis balls the ball kids aren't allowed to touch anything the players touch - no grabbing water, or towels, or putting garbage away for the players as they would have done in the past.
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

For me, the MTO issue and the bathroom break issue are separate. Part of the problem with the bathroom break is that once in a while, people really need longer. In most other sports (baseball, basketball, football) you have time to use the bathroom without anyone knowing it. I don't want to get graphic, but I think y'all can imagine people needing more than a minute or two on the toilet. Changing all of your clothes, which I think could be necessary in some cases, will take a few minutes. If you add that to going to the bathroom when you need a little more than a minute or two, you will definitely hit 10 minutes. Again, I don't think that most people who take a long time really need all that time, but if you make a rule that says you can't, and someone needs it, you then penalize them for something that they shouldn't be penalized for. Someone here had a fantastic suggestion. Make a 10-minute break after the 2nd (and 4th, if it's a men's match at a major) set automatic, and as others have suggested, let players hit with their partners.

Kevin
the Moz Canada

Post by the Moz »

The issue here is timing. MTO are guided by time limits while TB are not. That needs to be fixed. Pure and simple. Toilet-going hasn't changed much in the last 100 years of tennis, but the reasons for taking one have. For me, it's a balance between common sense fairness and reeling in player entitlement. And with respect to the latter, that has changed tremendously in the last 100 years.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock:
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

the Moz wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:06 pm The issue here is timing. MTO are guided by time limits while TB are not. That needs to be fixed. Pure and simple. Toilet-going hasn't changed much in the last 100 years of tennis, but the reasons for taking one have. For me, it's a balance between common sense fairness and reeling in player entitlement. And with respect to the latter, that has changed tremendously in the last 100 years.
And that is the crux of this matter.
We had a change of scenario yesterday from Bianca. She did ask for an MTO. But, surprisingly, she was UP in the score, and came back with a heavy wrap. So either her acting was better then the others, or she was really struggling.
I will grant her the second, as we know how fragile she is.