With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Hello Dante? What Level Is This?

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Hello Dante? What Level Is This?

Post by ti-amie »

The story was broken by Russian media.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

What surprises me is that he is at the ballet, not that he is in Moscow.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

And the people who spew these lies are all safely at home with their families, and fully vaxxed.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

Do these people think they can go to court and think they are fully justified and get off?

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Owendonovan wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:02 am Do these people think they can go to court and think they are fully justified and get off?
Think is doing a lot of work here Owen. :D

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

This man committed the biggest Medicare fraud in US history and is a sitting Senator.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Marcelo Rochabrún
@mrochabrun
New: The story of the poor indigenous Peruvians working —sometimes even for free— helping the world’s richest person sell $9,000 vicuña sweaters

It is the finest wool in the world, but in the Andes, they see none of the wealth

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2024 ... Vh4GIrLUxY
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Get organized. Become a cooperative. Follow the model of Colombia's Juan Valdez.

Post by Owendonovan »

Not the train I commute daily on, but one I often use. There's some kind of something going on about 10% of the time I spend on the subway system. I got into a small row just yesterday because a woman (who is a regular on this train at the same time as me) wouldn't make space for people to sit, so I sat halfway on her until she moved over. She was yelling that she worked all day so she's entitled, others chimed in that they all worked today, she sounded foolish. She did not and has not appeared to have any kind of mental illness. This is my dilemma, allowing her to take up 3 seats is wholly unacceptable to me and most everyone else riding the subway, who should be correcting this situation, me? The macho man below who instigated this shooting seems to have got what he had coming to him.

Man Is Critically Wounded in a Shooting on a Subway Train in Brooklyn
A video shows how a verbal dispute between two men on a moving A train turned into a fight. One of the men grabbed a gun from the other and shot him, the police said.
A man was in critical condition Thursday night after being shot in the head on a subway train as it arrived at the Hoyt-Schermerhorn station in Downtown Brooklyn during the Thursday evening rush hour, the authorities said.

The shooting occurred after a 32-year-old man boarded a northbound A train at the Nostrand Avenue stop at about 4:45 p.m., Michael Kemper, the Police Department’s Chief of Transit, said at a news conference.

As the train left the station, the man was confronted by a 36-year-old man who witnesses described as acting in an “aggressive and provocative” manner, Chief Kemper said.

What started as a verbal confrontation quickly become a physical fight, the chief said, with the 36-year-old man displaying either a knife or razor blade at one point. Eventually, he pulled out a gun, Chief Kemper said.

The men began grappling, and the 32-year-old man grabbed the gun and shot the other man several times, Chief Kemper said. He said he did not believe the two men knew each other.

Footage of the fight posted to social media shows that the 36-year-old man repeatedly threatens the 32-year-old man, standing over him and saying “I will beat you up” before the younger man stands up and the two circle around each other. As the fight escalates, other passengers move to the opposite end of the train, but one woman stays back.

The video shows that as the two men tussle on a pair of subway seats, the woman also becomes involved, appearing to fumble in her purse for something and then stab the 36-year-old in the lower back as he stands over the younger man, pummeling him. Another rider, wearing a blue sweatshirt and a yellow neon vest, attempts to intervene and briefly separates the men before the fight resumes.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/14/nyre ... oklyn.html
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I would like to see a study about "public etiquette" nowadays. Is it gong down, or is it better?
For example: I really dislike people that are talking on their smartphone at full blast. I don't need to listen to their conversations. But, even worse: people listening or watching shows on a smartphone, with no earphones. I find it rude.
Are we losing that battle, when in public?

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

The video is available. I feel for the passengers who were trapped in the car because they've stopped making it possible to open the doors between the cars anymore.

No charges will be filed against the man who shot the aggressor in the head. The aggressor is not expected to survive per media reports.

As for Adams and Hochul's stunt with putting the National Guard in the subways this shows that mayhem can break out anywhere at any time. There is a police station at this stop. Who knows where the aggressor got on the train? This is why stunts like this don't work in NYC.

That said, as a native NY'er people who live in Brooklyn are always ready to fight. I'm not including the recently gentrified areas of course. I'm talking about the folks who were there before the gentrifiers and who are still there.

Post by Owendonovan »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:01 pm I would like to see a study about "public etiquette" nowadays. Is it gong down, or is it better?
For example: I really dislike people that are talking on their smartphone at full blast. I don't need to listen to their conversations. But, even worse: people listening or watching shows on a smartphone, with no earphones. I find it rude.
Are we losing that battle, when in public?
Feels that way, especially with the smartphone noise and bluetooth speakers. I always want to ask those people; How did you get to the point where you feel your actions have no effect on anyone else? Do you know that NOBODY wants to hear what you're putting out yet we all can hear it? Why does it feel as if, when you receive the appropriate look of irritation from people around you because of your noise intrusion, you're ready to fight over it? It's almost exclusively men and some idiotic impressions of "disrespect".

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Raw Milk’s Risks Don’t Stop Right-Wing Commentators From Defiantly Pushing It
On sites like Infowars, Gab and Rumble, federal concerns about raw milk are seen as overreach, but there are serious health risks and no scientifically proven benefits.

Public health officials have long warned Americans of the severe health risks that can come with drinking raw milk.Credit...Alexandra Genova for The New York Times

By Santul Nerkar
May 24, 2024
Updated 1:21 p.m. ET
Health officials are warning Americans not to drink raw milk as bird flu spreads through American cows. But some media figures and influencers are misleadingly suggesting that the product is safe or even healthier than traditional milk. And sales are growing.

Commentators on sites like Infowars, Gab and Rumble have grown increasingly vocal about raw milk in recent weeks. They see the government’s heightened concerns about the dangers as overreach.

“They say: ‘Bird flu in milk! Bird flu in milk! Oh, it’s the scariest thing!’” Owen Shroyer said on the April 29 episode of his “War Room” podcast from Infowars. He added: “They’ll just make raw milk illegal. That’s what this is all about.”

Public health officials have long warned Americans of the severe health risks that can come with drinking raw milk instead of pasteurized milk, which is heated to kill bacteria, viruses and other germs. Researchers at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found more than 200 disease outbreaks linked to unpasteurized milk from 1998 to 2018, leading to 2,645 illnesses, 228 hospitalizations and three deaths.

In the United States, there have been only three reported human cases of this avian flu virus, which has led to the death of 90 million of the nation’s farmed birds and recently spread to cows. None of these human cases have yet been tied to drinking milk, but a study published on Friday found that milk contaminated with the virus was rapidly making mice sick.

Contrary to claims, there’s little or no evidence that drinking raw milk provides health benefits, including protection from certain infectious diseases, said Dr. Megin Nichols, the deputy director of the Division of Foodborne, Waterborne and Environmental Diseases at the C.D.C. The Food and Drug Administration says pasteurizing milk kills the virus.

The F.D.A. said in a statement that there are no scientifically proven benefits to drinking raw milk and that “the health risks are clear.”
The sale of raw milk is illegal or heavily restricted in around two dozen states, and the F.D.A. bans the interstate sale of raw milk. But a growing number of states allow producers to sell raw milk directly to consumers.

Sales of raw milk at grocery stores and other retailers in early May rose more than 20 percent from a year earlier, though they remain a tiny share of overall milk consumption, according to NielsenIQ, a market research firm.

Right-wing commentators aren’t the only proponents of raw milk. For years, wellness influencers have promoted raw milk as a healthier alternative to pasteurized milk, misleadingly claiming that drinking it will confer immunity to diseases like E. coli and salmonella.

Matt Gertz, a senior fellow at Media Matters, a left-leaning watchdog that looked at the trend this month, said raw milk promotion had been intensifying on the right since the start of the bird flu outbreak.

“What you have is a bunch of right-wing influencers who know that they can build substantial audiences and retain their audiences and excite their audiences by telling them that what medical authorities are saying about raw milk, about bird flu, is not credible,” Mr. Gertz said.

Eviane Leidig, a postdoctoral researcher at Tilburg University in the Netherlands who researches extremist movements, said the consumption of raw or unprocessed foods had emerged as a rallying cry on parts of the political right. Pasteurized milk, which these groups falsely claim is injected with dangerous chemicals, is referred to as “state-approved milk.”

“The consumption of raw milk, raw meat and raw eggs is a right-wing subculture that has been growing in popularity over the last few years,” Dr. Leidig said.

Todd Callaway, a professor in the department of animal and dairy science at the University of Georgia, said that modern dairy farms had made raw milk safer to drink than it once was, but that “it’s still not a great idea” to drink raw milk, which may still contain dangerous germs. Nearly all store-bought milk is pasteurized.

“I don’t know that a lot of people understand what pasteurization is,” Dr. Callaway said. “It’s just heat treatment. There are no chemicals being pumped in.”

Santul Nerkar is a reporter covering business and sports.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/24/busi ... ation.html
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

Raw milk goes great with an ivermectin chaser.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

My looney friend that beliefs in all conspiracy theories came to me with PROOF that ti was all a hoax because Chris Cuomo has now accepted that Joe Rogan was right. And (I almost quote here): long covid as an euphemism for "vaccine damage".
You almost wish them a really bad disease that will have to be cured by al things Pfizer. ;)