Laver Cup

Davis Cup, BJK Cup, ATP Cup, Olympics and Laver cup, plus maybe a few others
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Laver Cup

Post by ti-amie »

Tennis Twitter right now.

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ti-amie wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:38 pm Tennis Twitter right now.

And the whole O2. Everyone was crying. Rafa was crying.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Yep. It looks like it was very emotional for everyone involved.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
MJ2004

Post by MJ2004 »

That was too intense. I was disappointed he didn't get a chance to go out in a slam, but after seeing this, that might have been just too much. It was a little more contained this way.

And Rafa in tears. Wow. Used to seeing Roger in tears, fully expected it, did not expect to see Rafa break down as well.

Overall an awesome experience, with the big four, his family, etc.
Last edited by MJ2004 on Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
the Moz Canada

Post by the Moz »

Thank you, Roger :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock:
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Federer fans morphing into acting like Djokovic fans on social media at the moment. Sigh.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

meganfernandez wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:54 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:12 pm Competes with IW for title of slowest court on the planet...Nadal is clearly the leader of Team Europe...though Fed and Djoko are present ..I find that very interesting
Yeah, I don't know if it's because he's just more intense and a more natural coach, or because he's closer to the guys or because he has 22... maybe the others are lke, Why would I listen to the guy who only has 20 or 21 Slams when I could listen to the one with 22? :)

I love the bench conversations, especially player to player. Fascinating to know what resonates with them about a match.
Probably that he is the most intense...

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

3mlm United States of America

Post by 3mlm »

martini4me wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:54 pm Laver Cup teams have bloated to eight per side?

Why is Jack Sick on the team? Or at least, why Us he not restricted to doubles matches?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Laver Cup has a rule that doubles players must also play at least one singles match. I read somewhere that there was a mutually agreed exception for Roger Federer this year.

I was surprised when the European Team had two alternates - Berrettini and Norrie - while the World Team had only one. Both of the original teams had only one alternate each. However, looking at Saturday's schedule I see that both Berrettini and Norrie are playing singles. I assume that means that both Federer and Nadal have withdrawn from the rest of the tournament.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

The highlight of the Roger ceremony after the doubles match was Nadal crying. A lot. That was truly touching.
I think his emotions were partly because of seeing his friend - and the rivalry - go away... but also because seeing Roger leave reminds Rafa that he's pretty close to the finish line himself, as well - especially with the recent injuries...

It was interesting to see one of Roger's twin girls and one of his twin boys being significantly more emotional than their respective twin.

What I really DID NOT like about the ceremony was Jim Courrier's inane and asinine questions to Roger - they seemed very out of place in that moment. Courrier is so incredibly smug and full of himself...
And the singer singing that song live (or lip-synching). She went on for what seemed to be a 10 full minutes. That was not good, either. It looked like she thought the stage and spotlight was hers, and that the crowd was there to watch her perform. And, of course, it was a marketing opportunity for her, which was also very out of place. It also took attention away from Roger being with his family (which occurred during the song).
It would have been better had they just played the audio of a song (they could have easily found an appropriate OLD song to play instead of using a more current song which they were hoping to sell to people).
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

After Brexit, why are Norrie and Murray playing for Europe?!
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Well, the UK is still in Europe, right? They separated economically, not geographically. ;)

This was a good farewell. Especially in that his fellow BIG players were able to be there. That would not have happened at Basel, for example.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Djokovic reminding us he is still the best player in the world...
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

ponchi101 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:50 pm Well, the UK is still in Europe, right? They separated economically, not geographically. ;)

This was a good farewell. Especially in that his fellow BIG players were able to be there. That would not have happened at Basel, for example.
It would have brought a little more balance to the teams...