Good, but no there
20%

Total votes: 5

ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: WTA ATP Aus Open 1/17 - 1/30 2022

Post by ti-amie »

The tl;dr
“Of course I want to go [to Australia],” Djokovic said.

“Australia is my most successful grand slam tournament. I want to compete, I love this sport and I am still motivated.

“I am following the situation regarding the Australian Open and I understand the final decision [on COVID-related restrictions] will be made in two weeks. I believe there will be a lot of restrictions just like this year, but I doubt there will be too many changes.

“My manager, who is in contact with the Australian Tennis Federation, tells me they are trying to improve the conditions for everyone, both for those who have been vaccinated and those who have not.”

As reported last month by The Age, Tennis Australia boss Craig Tiley had been worried about the implications for the southern hemisphere’s only grand slam. However, he has dropped his opposition to what two government sources said was the strong likelihood Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton would only permit vaccinated players.

“Tiley said we won’t get star players and the state government effectively said ‘suck it up’, ” a source with direct knowledge of the negotiations said. “They capitulated.”
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Which is the way to deal with entitled little kids.
"But I don't like it!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: "
"Too (expletive) bad"
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Suck it up is correct here. Australian Open Golf for both women and men was just cancelled last week, so Tennis Australia needs to be very happy they are being allowed to hold the event at all.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Shots fired

skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

I'm confused by Azarenka's reaction - why does she think that Ben hasn't read the information? It's not that long. Also, many of the tweets replying are wondering why he tweeted a 'confidential' email as if Ben was to be held to the confidentiality of the information in the email.

Post by JazzNU »

Vika is right to question the sharing of confidential information. Ben is correct that in saying that it's his job to share stuff he receives such as this, but after sharing it, he's not above being questioned for doing so.

Interestingly enough, Ben sharing this confidential information seems highly likely to torch this allowance of unvaccinated players because Aussies are seeing it, Aussie news outlets are picking it up, and it seems likely this will go up in smoke under public pressure if nothing else. There's a reason they said to keep it confidential until it was worked out with the government.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Apart from the "confidential" stuff, it sounds reasonable. If you are vaccinated, no need for quarantine. If you are not, you stick to last year's rules.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by JazzNU »

FYI, this was announced today. At the same time the WTA is saying unvaccinated players are good to go? This was why they said keep it confidential, this was a shaky agreement at best from Tennis Australia.

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:14 am Apart from the "confidential" stuff, it sounds reasonable. If you are vaccinated, no need for quarantine. If you are not, you stick to last year's rules.
Reasonable is relative here. This may be a good rule elsewhere. But there are still vaccinated Aussies that haven't been able to return to the country and unvaccinated Aussies in Australia haven't been able to travel into Victoria because of the rules. And it sounds as if unvaccinated foreign visitors aren't allowed at all generally and there are no plans to allow them in unlike a pathway being set for vaccinated Aussies to start travelling to and within the country. So to create an exception and let in unvaccinated tennis players is going to be a tough sell to the general public especially as they've grown a good deal more weary than they were when the last Aussie Open was held.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

It's obvious that Ben loves the attention of a 'scoop', and too often writes to be 'sensational'... but, honestly, I don't see anything in that E mail that should be considered 'confidential'. There's no personal information about any player there... The Australian population have a right to know that the players are getting special treatment, and to react as they see fit to this news.
The reason they wanted to keep it 'confidential' is because they wanted to hide the truth from the citizens because they knew that many citizens would object. Concealing a truth which could affect the populace is not a legitimate reason for something to be kept confidential or secret (just because governments do it all the time certainly doesn't mean it's right).

As for Azarenka's reaction... someone just needs to let her know that the 'Victoria' referred to in the E mail is not her. :D
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Aussies would have found out eventually, and probably sooner than later, because there are journalists in Australia who care more about this than Ben or any of us, and they would have made the public aware. I agree that Australians in particular have a right to know this after what they have been asked to sacrifice. It's kind of silly for the WTA or Tennis Australia or anyone to think it wouldn't have gotten out soon. But whatever, it's won't matter much in the end. It's just a PR oops.
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

In a rare move, I’m team Ben on this one

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

JazzNU wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:05 am Vika is right to question the sharing of confidential information. Ben is correct that in saying that it's his job to share stuff he receives such as this, but after sharing it, he's not above being questioned for doing so.

Interestingly enough, Ben sharing this confidential information seems highly likely to torch this allowance of unvaccinated players because Aussies are seeing it, Aussie news outlets are picking it up, and it seems likely this will go up in smoke under public pressure if nothing else. There's a reason they said to keep it confidential until it was worked out with the government.

Post by JazzNU »

meganfernandez wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:17 pm Aussies would have found out eventually, and probably sooner than later, because there are journalists in Australia who care more about this than Ben or any of us, and they would have made the public aware. I agree that Australians in particular have a right to know this after what they have been asked to sacrifice. It's kind of silly for the WTA or Tennis Australia or anyone to think it wouldn't have gotten out soon. But whatever, it's won't matter much in the end. It's just a PR oops.
Aussies would of course find out, but timing matters here. If this is kept quiet during negotiations and the Victorian govt makes the decision to take the PR hit with the public, likely because they've determined the revenue from the Aussie Open is worth it, then it's one thing for it to get out. It's another for it to get out now, while negotiations are ongoing and no decision has been made and public pressure is introduced into the decisionmaking. You can tell from the replies on any related story that Aussies had no idea that it was a possibility that an unvaxxed visitor would be permitted to travel to the country because is goes against just about everything their government has been communicating to them recently about next steps to stop with all the lockdown measures.