60%
Good, but no there
20%

Total votes: 5

Deuce Canada

Re: WTA ATP Aus Open 1/17 - 1/30 2022

Post by Deuce »

skatingfan wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:51 am
Deuce wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:28 am Please study some sociology. (And allow yourself to form opinions and to make assessments about it.)
Thanks Deuce. I've studied sociology, and I have opinions and assessments of the thing that I've learned, and I expressed my opinion.
I've done the same.
The best place to study sociology and human behaviour is out in public - in 'society'...
skatingfan wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:51 am Also, political correctness doesn't have anything to do with politicians.
Actually, it does...
https://www.britannica.com/topic/political-correctness

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/why- ... ighten-you

https://www.intellectualtakeout.org/blo ... rrectness/

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

Deuce wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:06 am Actually, it does..
The modern use & definition of the word comes starts from the book The Black Woman, by Traci Cade Bambara. The term was used by left in the late 1970's, early '80's to poke fun of themselves, and then the term died out. Then it was picked up by conservatives in the '90's, who didn't get the joke, and used the term as a weapon to impede any effort to make society more inclusive. Then it became the punch line of jokes again. Now it's used by the right to shut down any discussion, or topic they don't like, and to dismiss their critics.

Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

skatingfan wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:28 am
Deuce wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:06 am Actually, it does..
The modern use & definition of the word comes starts from the book The Black Woman, by Traci Cade Bambara. The term was used by left in the late 1970's, early '80's to poke fun of themselves, and then the term died out. Then it was picked up by conservatives in the '90's, who didn't get the joke, and used the term as a weapon to impede any effort to make society more inclusive. Then it became the punch line of jokes again. Now it's used by the right to shut down any discussion, or topic they don't like, and to dismiss their critics.

It doesn't surprise me at all that you are quite particular in picking and choosing the definition and origin of 'political correctness' which best suits your agenda, rather than the true origin.

Keep paddling...
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

Deuce wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:33 am It doesn't surprise me at all that you are quite particular in picking and choosing the definition and origin of 'political correctness' which best suits your agenda, rather than the true origin.

Keep paddling...
What I wrote it overlaps quite a bit with the Encyclopedia Britannica article you cited. I focused on the modern use, and definition because it seems more relevant to a discussion of now, rather than noting that the term was originally coined by Marxist-Leninist's.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:14 am Only thing I will say is that my three skiing partners today mentioned it. They then detoured to the NFL, but they were aware. Which I found surprising.
I'm not saying this didn't register, but in terms of getting top coverage, I'm saying it didn't rise to the level of what some other tennis wins/losses have gotten, especially Venus and Serena's, which obviously just hit differently and bigger here. This was not something I saw, for instance, getting almost any sports coverage or mentions from non-ESPN and non-Tennis Channel people. For example, FOX Sports has grown their channels and sports coverage to be a decent competitor for ESPN, and I saw next to nothing from any FOX Sports people related to this. Could it be because they don't have much live tennis coverage? Definitely, but for Serena? It'll still get mentioned, they'll do a segment talking about her greatness or something or how remarkable it is that her and her sister have been doing it this long, whatever, but it'll get coverage. Got bigger segments on the morning shows and regular news than it did on the other sports channels really after Sunday morning, which is fine, but it didn't penetrate the general sports fan as much as it could've had they switched their coverage. The interest was there from what I could tell from social media, the POTB just didn't take the time to carve out more time for it.

And the other thing is that, kinda to my surprise, didn't see a lot of big name American athletes talking about this or sending out a congrats, saw it with international ones. It's not at all unusual especially for other same company (Nike) sponsored athletes to in particular take time to congraulate someone on an accomplishment such as this, but very quiet for this. Not a big deal, but it does increase the visibility and that was missing a bit. I think Nike didn't reach out. When Serena, Venus, and now, even Naomi have major accomplishment, sometimes a major defeat, it definitely catches the attention of the big names and their send a congrats or encouragement for next time, something like that.

I hope you enjoyed your day skiing.
And hope your old bones held up well on the slopes. 😜
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

@ponchi, I know you're not big on social media, but if you were to look today at the congrats going out to Brady on social media, that's kind of more what I would've expected to see for Rafa winning his 21st given the magnitude of the accomplishment. A ton of football players sure, but also a lot of other famous athletes. I did see that for Nadal, but it was from famous European athletes, very few non-tennis related American athletes.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

JazzNU wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:25 pm @ponchi, I know you're not big on social media, but if you were to look today at the congrats going out to Brady on social media, that's kind of more what I would've expected to see for Rafa winning his 21st given the magnitude of the accomplishment. A ton of football players sure, but also a lot of other famous athletes. I did see that for Nadal, but it was from famous European athletes, very few non-tennis related American athletes.
Well, you have me completely there about Social Media. The sole exposure I get is actually here at TAT2.0. The Brady retirement is certainly big news, and it is in every feed that you can think of, so, gauging your interaction with Social Media you will certainly be better informed than I would.
My comment about my skiing buddies was only because I was really surprised they had even heard about the quality of the final.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Dumb thought that just went by my head:
How appropriate that a man known to patrol the baseline and receive serve from so far back he can't be seen on the TV frame, won his 21st slam with his last stroke at the net.
I gather it shows how much he has improved over the years.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:04 am Dumb thought that just went by my head:
How appropriate that a man known to patrol the baseline and receive serve from so far back he can't be seen on the TV frame, won his 21st slam with his last stroke at the net.
He's been working on it... :)
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
meganfernandez United States of America

WTA ATP Aus Open 1/17 - 1/30 2022

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote:Dumb thought that just went by my head:
Anyone playing Medvedev should be looking to come in until he adjusts his position back to the baseline. I think Rafa came in off his first or second shot in that last point. It was also an important part of Rafa’s strategy to keep the points short. I was hoping he would come in more, sooner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Seriously speaking, he is a totally underrated volleyer for people that do not follow tennis like we do. His touch is superb and his crosscourt drop volley dies when it touches the court. I would say it is up there with Mac's and Martina's.

WTA ATP Aus Open 1/17 - 1/30 2022

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote:Seriously speaking, he is a totally underrated volleyer for people that do not follow tennis like we do. His touch is superb and his crosscourt drop volley dies when it touches the court. I would say it is up there with Mac's and Martina's.
Absolutely. Experts said that’s how he won Wimbledon a couple times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

So Sunday night I watched football. Last night started the men’s final and watched first three sets but had a few works calls so had to stop (was past 3 am here.)

Picked it up tonight… and my recording ran out in fifth set. Sigh. Saw it in demand but it was the full thing and wouldn’t let me skip ahead so just gave up and checked the result.
:steven:

Post by meganfernandez »

ptmcmahon wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:40 am So Sunday night I watched football. Last night started the men’s final and watched first three sets but had a few works calls so had to stop (was past 3 am here.)

Picked it up tonight… and my recording ran out in fifth set. Sigh. Saw it in demand but it was the full thing and wouldn’t let me skip ahead so just gave up and checked the result.
Might be worth the $5 ESPN+ subscription to watch the whole thing sometime. But I guess part of the thrill was the suspense. The tennis was spectacular, too, but for me it was the suspense and how Nadal hung on by his fingernails for so long and then found another level and kept it up. His BH down the line in the last half of the match was incredible - and that's supposed to be Medvedev's shot.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I purposely did not start my laptop while I was watching it, simply to avoid the chance of seeing the result by mistake. The thrill was superb: the first set to Medvedev was great quality by him, then Rafa about to win the second and losing it, and then watching him keep trying over and over and always thinking (me, not him) "he can't make it, he is gassed". And over and over coming up with one more shot, one more get, one more long game. Then he serves for the match and can't get it, and he still keeps trying.
It was a perfect lesson, to any and all young players, that it is never over. That in tennis, you are only out of the match when the umpire says "Game, set and match, your opponent".
Should be mandatory view at any tennis academy. And I don't know how many young players should be forced to watch it and be told "you see? But no, you tank the match. And that is why you are you, and he is Rafa Nadal".
Problem is, I don't think this can be taught. You are either Rafa* and have it in your blood, or you are Marcelo Rios and decide to tank when it gets tough.
Off Topic
Or Ferrer, or Connors, or Hewitt. On the women's side, Evert, Steffi, Monica, Martina I. He is amazing but we have had great examples in the past too.