TENNIS PLAYERS (Off-Court Shenanigans)

Our main board to talk about our sport
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: TENNIS PLAYERS (Off-Court Shenanigans)

Post by ponchi101 »

I don't understand the warning. Yes, this is a photo of a couple, but if you don't tell me that, this could be the photo of any two women that are friends.
I mean, 90% of all the idiot shots the Kardasian's post are more "offensive" (because this isn't).
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

I "understand" the warning, although it's obviously 100% BS.
:steven:
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

I really don't know why that is sensitive content. I have photos with my girlfriends that are sort of like that and I don't see a thing wrong with them.
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Because there is still a large part of our world/population (especially outside of North America) that doesn't consider it "ok." The same picture last week before her announcement would not have been sensitive content.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Surely there must be a few male gay players in the top 100, right?
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Statistics would lead us to believe yes definitely are :)
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ptmcmahon wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:11 am Because there is still a large part of our world/population (especially outside of North America) that doesn't consider it "ok." The same picture last week before her announcement would not have been sensitive content.
Yes. But by singling it out as "sensitive", Twitter (I think) is not helping. Would have been better to just leave it without a warning and therefore deliver the message that we would agree on: totally harmless. Totally normal. Two young women in a picture. The fact that they are a couple is anecdotical.
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:35 pm
ptmcmahon wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:11 am Because there is still a large part of our world/population (especially outside of North America) that doesn't consider it "ok." The same picture last week before her announcement would not have been sensitive content.
Yes. But by singling it out as "sensitive", Twitter (I think) is not helping. Would have been better to just leave it without a warning and therefore deliver the message that we would agree on: totally harmless. Totally normal. Two young women in a picture. The fact that they are a couple is anecdotical.
I agree. This sort of thing should be viewed as normal as LOVE between two people is a normal thing. LOVE IS LOVE.
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:35 pm
Twitter is 100% not helping. No "think" about it. Despite it's reputation (and for kicking out Trump) it's still going to sway very conservative for some social issues... especially with this Elon Musk nonsense going on ;)
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

The warning did not appear for me when I viewed it on Twitter
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

Warnings are typically used for danger, where's the danger?
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Suliso wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:16 am Surely there must be a few male gay players in the top 100, right?
You posted this yesterday, and I forgot to reply.
In a sample of 100 "random" males, about 4%, right? But it is the same as in all sports. I can't recall if there are any openly gay men in the NBA, I know there is one in the NFL (Las Vegas Raiders). And not only that; I can't recall any top 100 player EVER coming out as gay. I know Jean Michael Vincent came out long after he stopped playing, but it is impossible that not one single player in the ATP's history has been gay.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:51 pm
Suliso wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:16 am Surely there must be a few male gay players in the top 100, right?
In a sample of 100 "random" males, about 4%, right? But it is the same as in all sports. I can't recall if there are any openly gay men in the NBA, I know there is one in the NFL (Las Vegas Raiders). And not only that; I can't recall any top 100 player EVER coming out as gay. I know Jean Michael Vincent came out long after he stopped playing, but it is impossible that not one single player in the ATP's history has been gay.
Jan Michael Gambill and Brian Vahaly have come out since they retired. There was an American LGBTQ+ player ranked like 800 or so as of a few years ago.

Vahaly reportedly said it was "impossible to go a week without hearing homophobic language when I played in the mid-2000s."
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

Is that a love child of Jean-Michael Gambill and Vince Spadea?
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

mmmm8 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:40 pm
Is that a love child of Jean-Michael Gambill and Vince Spadea?
Argh, you caught me before I could correct! :evil: :roll:
Sorry for the mix up. Of course. Megan and you are right. It was Gambill, not Vincent. Gambill was named that after Vincent, who was a relatively popular action hero in the 70's (I think with Disney).
Thanks for the correction :thumbsup: