TENNIS PLAYERS (Off-Court Shenanigans)

Our main board to talk about our sport
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: TENNIS PLAYERS (Off-Court Shenanigans)

Post by ponchi101 »

You wear NIKE's?
Traitor...
:P
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:16 pm You wear NIKE's?
Traitor...
:P
:lol: Yep, and I love them.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

They're not just shoes - they're mainly status symbols. That's what shoes have become today, sadly.
If they were merely shoes, they would cost $100 less.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

I am dating myself here, but when I was a kid I loved the Agassi high tops.

To Deuce's point I had them as my "nice" shoes ; I wore something else to play in.

But in retrospect I didn't hate playing in high tops. I have been having ankle issues lately; I wonder if I should consider.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

Shoes are status symbols. I agree with that. I love shoes and it doesn't have to be just tennis shoes. It can be my flats or whatever. I like having nice shoes to wear to school since I wear a uniform and have to wear the same exact thing of everything else everyday to school.
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

I'm in the process of adding Davis Cup (groups I and II) matches to my database. Around 2007 going backwards. What I've noticed about Gulbis is that while his overall record is 247-239 (slightly above 50%), his Davis Cup record is 26-6, which is 81.25%. One can safely assume that he was always willing and ready to play for the country and gave 100% effort. Which is why I think they consider him a viable candidate over there.
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:59 pm
Deuce wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:25 am However, if he does manage to secure the presidency of the Latvian Tennis Union, you can be sure that he'll take care of any vampire problem that might come up.
(Watch the entire thing...)

Now I like him again.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

mick1303 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:42 pm I'm in the process of adding Davis Cup (groups I and II) matches to my database. Around 2007 going backwards. What I've noticed about Gulbis is that while his overall record is 247-239 (slightly above 50%), his Davis Cup record is 26-6, which is 81.25%. One can safely assume that he was always willing and ready to play for the country and gave 100% effort. Which is why I think they consider him a viable candidate over there.

Very interesting stat.
Devil's advocate: His DC record is very good, and it shows that he played many ties. Was Latvia ever in the World Group? I don't think so, but I am not sure. And, if they were not, what group were they in? He was too good a player to lose against a Group 2 country.
Still, as you say. He certainly was there all the time. And that should count.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Fastbackss wrote:I am dating myself here, but when I was a kid I loved the Agassi high tops.

To Deuce's point I had them as my "nice" shoes ; I wore something else to play in.

But in retrospect I didn't hate playing in high tops. I have been having ankle issues lately; I wonder if I should consider.
I don’t think Coco’s are true high-tops. Mid-height maybe. Just enough ankle support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

meganfernandez wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:43 pm
Fastbackss wrote:I am dating myself here, but when I was a kid I loved the Agassi high tops.

I don’t think Coco’s are true high-tops. Mid-height maybe. Just enough ankle support.

Do you mean Coco Gauff's shoe or the Nike shoe that I wear (Naomi's NikeCourt Zoom)? Mine is not a high top, but has a high support back to the shoe.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote:
meganfernandez wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:43 pm

Do you mean Coco Gauff's shoe or the Nike shoe that I wear (Naomi's NikeCourt Zoom)? Mine is not a high top, but has a high support back to the shoe.
Coco’s

ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Ash Barty marries long-time partner Garry Kissick
By Scott Spits
Updated July 30, 2022 — 9.39pmfirst published at 8.19pm

One of Australia’s best-known athletes, retired tennis star Ash Barty, has married her long-time partner, Garry Kissick.

The pair married in a Queensland ceremony far removed from the glare of public attention, with the former world No.1 revealing the news on social media on Saturday night.

In a simple post featuring a photo of the smiling couple, Barty, 26, announced the nuptials with the words: Husband & Wife.

Barty, last year’s Wimbledon ladies’ singles champion and an Australian Open champion this year, shocked the sporting world in March when she announced her snap retirement.

The pair were engaged last November when Barty was in the closing stages of preparing for another shot at ending the country’s long drought – more than 40 years – to produce an Australian Open singles champion.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/ash ... 5b5xo.html

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Good for them, and what a way to do a very private thing when you are in the spotlight. Simple, elegant.
And they look great in the shot.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ti-amie wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:51 pm Ash Barty marries long-time partner Garry Kissick
By Scott Spits
Updated July 30, 2022 — 9.39pmfirst published at 8.19pm

One of Australia’s best-known athletes, retired tennis star Ash Barty, has married her long-time partner, Garry Kissick.

The pair married in a Queensland ceremony far removed from the glare of public attention, with the former world No.1 revealing the news on social media on Saturday night.

In a simple post featuring a photo of the smiling couple, Barty, 26, announced the nuptials with the words: Husband & Wife.

Barty, last year’s Wimbledon ladies’ singles champion and an Australian Open champion this year, shocked the sporting world in March when she announced her snap retirement.

The pair were engaged last November when Barty was in the closing stages of preparing for another shot at ending the country’s long drought – more than 40 years – to produce an Australian Open singles champion.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/ash ... 5b5xo.html

Congrats to both of them and Ash looks so beautiful.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

An interesting sidelight on the great Ricardo Gonzalez ..he was married to Agassi's sister, and it was Agassi who paid for his funeral ..Gonzalez was penniless by then..btw he used to spell his name Gonzales through most of his playing career, only switched to Gonzalez towards the end....
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

The EZ ending, in Spanish, was used to denominate Ashkenazi Jewish ancestry in the holder. The ES meant no such family tree. My last name ends with a EZ.
Of course, an ancient tradition which no longer means anything because too much time has passed.
But rather odd that he would switch later in life.
---0---
It is rather sad that not a trivial number of those tennis greats died penniless. Gonzalez and Althea GIbson come to mind. Arguably the two best players ever, and both made so little that they could not afford a decent old-age.