TENNIS PLAYERS (Off-Court Shenanigans)

Our main board to talk about our sport
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: TENNIS PLAYERS (Off-Court Shenanigans)

Post by ti-amie »

I agree with Krasimir.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Well, let's give her a break. Maybe she hit with him after her real practice.
This would explain a lot. If Mugu is happy and her life is going well, and she is in love, who cares if she is ranked 90-something in the world? It is hard to find the motivation to go out there and train and fight during matches, when the rest of your life is rosy.
Good for her.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Garbine's in the Maldives on vacation. I'd give her a break on who she's practicing with. I'd expect her to workout every day like usual, but not pick up a racquet. I don't see the issue here at all.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:07 pm Well, let's give her a break. Maybe she hit with him after her real practice.
This would explain a lot. If Mugu is happy and her life is going well, and she is in love, who cares if she is ranked 90-something in the world? It is hard to find the motivation to go out there and train and fight during matches, when the rest of your life is rosy.
Good for her.
That person's hot take was ridiculous. And it's the off-season! I commend her for picking up a racket this early in the off-season at all.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:07 pm Well, let's give her a break. Maybe she hit with him after her real practice.
Good for her.
I would say the same about Badosa and her model.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

meganfernandez wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:17 pm
That person's hot take was ridiculous. And it's the off-season! I commend her for picking up a racket this early in the off-season at all.
It also comes off as sexist to me. I don't recall even a fraction of this much focus on the happy relationships of ATP players who weren't having optimal results for where they were expected to be. A comment here and there on IG is what I see for them, but not all this from other social media accounts.

Post by meganfernandez »

ti-amie wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:22 pm
Good for her.
I would say the same about Badosa and her model.
And Shapo and his girlfriend. :)

Post by meganfernandez »

JazzNU wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:33 pm
It also comes off as sexist to me. I don't recall even a fraction of this much focus on the happy relationships of ATP players who weren't having optimal results for where they were expected to be. A comment here and there on IG is what I see for them, but not all this from other social media accounts.
Glad you said it, not me! Rarely does anyone link a male athlete's relationships to his performance in any way. Much more common for female athletes.

Ponchi, this isn't about your comment. :)
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Good for her.
Well, a lot of people would argue that it's Fed Cup season, not the 'off season'... and would wonder why she isn't representing her country in Fed Cup. Especially since Spain just lost to a British team that isn't tremendously strong on paper...
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Garcia and Cornet

Post by meganfernandez »

Deuce wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:19 am
Good for her.
Well, a lot of people would argue that it's Fed Cup season, not the 'off season'... and would wonder why she isn't representing her country in Fed Cup. Especially since Spain just lost to a British team that isn't tremendously strong on paper...
Who knows. Her choice. Or maybe she wasn't invited! Maybe AMG was like, nah, we're good with Nuria Parrizas-Diaz. :) And I can't say I'd blame her.

Post by meganfernandez »

Tennis.com has some fun lookbacks at WTA and ATP Finals photos of the field, when they all get dressed up (usually). I thought this outtake was interesting - in 2016, Konta was already in Singapore waiting to see if she would get the 8th spot. Kuznetsova was still playing a tournament, and if she won, she'd get the spot. She did. So Konta wasn't in that year's group photo. But she appeared in some behind-the-scenes shots, like this one. It's notable because she looks pretty good! It's one of her best dresses ever.
KontaFinals.jpg
WTA story - https://www.tennis.com/baseline/article ... a-azarenka

ATP story - https://www.tennis.com/baseline/article ... aits-turin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Garbiñe, on the other hand, doing her usual "hitting it out of the ball park" routine.
When she dresses up, she never fails.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:24 pm Garbiñe, on the other hand, doing her usual "hitting it out of the ball park" routine.
When she dresses up, she never fails.
I wouldn't want to stand next to Garbi in a photo. Konta did pretty well, considering! This was one of Garbi's best dresses.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »