Ghislaine Maxwell Trial

News and commentary on trials, the law, and expert opinions about legal systems
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Ghislaine Maxwell Trial

Post by ti-amie »

From Matthew Russell Lee for/as http://InnerCityPress.com

OK - it's US v. #GhislaineMaxwell Day 10, jury finally seated, jurors being directed to binder of sealed non-public exhibits. Inner City Press is reporting

Assistant US Attorney Rohrbach: The government calls William Brown of the NYS Dept of Motor Vehicles.
AUSA: Are you aware how people receive ID cards?
Brown: Yes.
AUSA: Please pick up the folder next to you, [sealed] government exhibit.
Judge Nathan: I will admit these exhibits under seal.
AUSA: Look at Defense Exhibit LD3A, it's in the front of the binder. How old in 1996 was this person, born in 1985?
Brown: 11 years old.
No cross.. Next witness.
AUSA: The government calls Annie Farmer.
Clerk: Spell your name.
A: ANNIE FARMER.
Judge Nathan: I instruct you that the physical conduct you will hear about in New Mexico was not "illegal sexual activity." But it may be relevant, but not of propensity.
AUSA Pomerantz: Please take out sealed exhibit 13.
AUSA: In what state were your born?
Annie Farmer: Missouri.
AUSA: Where did you get your PhD?
Annie Farmer: University of Texas at Austin.
AUSA: How old were you when Maxwell gave you a massage?
Annie Farmer: I was 16.
AUSA: What were your family's finances?
Annie Farmer: My parents were divorced. I was worried how college would be paid for.
AUSA: Do you have an older sister?
Annie Farmer: Maria. She's 9 years older. She was living in NYC. She was working with Jeffrey Epstein.
AUSA: How did you travel to NYC?
Annie Farmer: Jeffrey Epstein paid. I was excited to see my father. Jeffrey Epstein had said -
Maxwell's lawyer: Objection! Hearsay!
Judge Nathan: Sustained.
AUSA: What did your sister say to you about the trip to NY?
Maxwell's lawyer: Objection - hearsay.
AUSA: Effect on the listener.
Judge Nathan: Is this was we discussed? I'll let it in, within a scope. And I'll tell the juror this is not offered for the truth.
AUSA: Who did you thank for your ticket?
Annie Farmer: Epstein --
Maxwell's lawyer: Objection! Hearsay!
AUSA: I'll move on. Did you meet Jeffrey Epstein?
Annie Farmer: Yes. Twice during this trip.
AUSA: Show the witness, the parties and the court Gov Exhibit 101.
AUSA: What is this?
Annie Farmer: My high school yearbook photo.
[Photo shown on screen - should be made available later - later today if Judge Rakoff's precedent is followed: documentcloud.org/documents/2051…
Annie Farmer: Epstein's home was very grand.
AUSA: What did Epstein ask you about?
Annie Farmer: My plans. He suggested UCLA and said he had connections.
[Early #VarsityBlues?]
Annie Farmer: He suggested I go on an international trip to boost my application.
Annie Farmer: We went to see the movie "Five Monkeys." [12?]
AUSA: Where did Epstein sit?
Annie Farmer: Between us. Then he rubbed my leg.
AUSA: What was your reaction?
Annie Farmer: I was very surprised. I felt sick to my stomach.
Annie Farmer: When Maria would look over, he would stop. The begin again.
AUSA: Did you tell your sister?
Annie Farmer: No. I was confused. I knew she was protective, I knew she would be upset, she might lose her job. So I decided not to say anything.
AUSA: Did you write in your journal?
Annie Farmer: I did.
AUSA: Please describe your journaling.
Annie Farmer: I was not a consistent journaler but I would sometimes write down what was happening in my life.
[Journal entry shown on screen. Annie Farmer reads from it incl about going to see Phantom of the Opera, champagne with Epstein. Then, a later entry, We went to the movies with Jeffrey Epstein. I was weirded out, he let go of my hand when he was talking to Maria
AUSA: How did you feel about Epstein as you wrote this?
Annie Farmer: I was conflicted. I knew it was not normal or right. But I was trying to make it seem OK.
Annie Farmer journal continued: I am thinking of doing something in Africa. It was be incredible.
AUSA: Where did you next see Jeffrey Epstein?
Annie Farmer: New Mexico.
AUSA: Who did you think you'd be seeing there?
Maxwell's lawyer: Objection - [lack of] foundation.
AUSA: When you landed in New Mexico what happened next?
Annie Farmer. There was a man with a sign with my name on it. He drove us to the ranch. There, I met Ghislaine Maxwell. She was slim and attractive, in her 30s. She was an adult.
AUSA: What did she sound like?
Annie Farmer: She had a British accent... I had been told that Maxwell would be there in New Mexico and it made me more comfortable, after what happened in New York.
AUSA: Who told you Maxwell would be there?
Annie Farmer: My mother.
AUSA: What did you and Maxwell talk about?
Annie Farmer: My life, my school, British authors.
AUSA: Did you leave the ranch?
Annie Farmer: Yes, a nature food store. Maxwell bought me henna. A western wear store, cowboy boots purchased for me.
AUSA: What did you think of the boots?
Annie Farmer: They cost over $100 dollars. I was grateful, gracious. We went to the movies. I didn't want to go because of what happened in NY. But I thought it would be different with Maxwell there.
AUSA: For how much of the movie did he touch you?
Annie Farmer: Most of it. He didn't hide it. And afterward back at the ranch, Maxwell told me to rub his feet, that she'd show me how... Later Maxwell told me to get undressed and started rubbing my breasts.
Annie Farmer: I wanted to get off the table, I wanted out of there. The door was open and I had the sense Epstein could see. In the morning Epstein came into my room and said he wanted to cuddle. He climbed to bed with me. I didn't like it.
AUSA: Did you tell him?
Annie Farmer: No. There was no one else around.
AUSA: What happened?
Annie Farmer: I went into the bathroom and shut the door. I waited.
AUSA: Where did you go in 1996?
Annie Farmer: Thailand and Vietnam, cultural immersion.
[Photo shown on screen of Annie Farmer and another with a small elephant with a wooden seat on it]
AUSA: Who paid for the trip?
Annie Farmer: Epstein.
AUSA: Any more contact with Maxwell and Epstein?
Annie Farmer: No.
AUSA: Who did you first tell?
Annie Farmer: My mother, generally.
AUSA: What did you tell your mom?
Maxwell's lawyer: Objection!
Sidebar...
[The lawyers go up to whisper with Judge Nathan. Maxwell remains alone at the defense table, today in an orange or pink sweater, rubbing her arms.]
[They've back from the sidebar.]
AUSA: Did you tell anyone else?
Annie Farmer; I had a boyfriend and I told him.
AUSA: Did you speak to the media?
Annie Farmer: Many times. First in 2002.
AUSA: Law enforcement?
Annie Farmer: 2006-07. To the FBI.
AUSA: Have you spoken with the media since?
Annie Farmer: Yes. Off the record in 2016 and on the record in 2019.
AUSA: Were you paid for the interviews?
AUSA: Were you interviewed by law enforcement in NY?
Annie Farmer: Yes. In 2019. In the fall I sued Epstein and Maxwell.
AUSA: Did you participate in the Epstein victims compensation fund?
Annie Farmer: Yes. I was awarded $1.5 million. My lawyers were pro bono.
AUSA: Any financial stake in the outcome of this trial?
AUSA: No further questions.
Judge Nathan: Cross examination.
Maxwell's lawyer Laura Menninger: Good morning. Your sister is the one who arranged your travel to NY?
Annie Farmer: Yes.
Menninger: You told the FBI that flying alone was not abnormal for you, correct?
Annie Farmer: I usually had my younger sister with me, when I flew to visit my father.
Menninger: Here's the report.
Annie Farmer: I see it.
Menninger: Ghislaine Maxwell had no role in your travel to NY, right?
Annie Farmer: She did not.
Menninger: You believed that Mr. Epstein purchased your plane ticket?
Menninger: You also saw the Blue Man Group and went to a flea markets with your sister, correct?
Menninger: In NY, Ms Maxwell didn't take you to the Lion King, correct?
Annie Farmer: She did not.
And now the jury takes its mid-morning break.
Soon podcast and stories on InnerCityPress.com and

Matthew Russell Lee: Inner City Press is creating News and views, from SDNY, NYC, IMF & UN censorship, Video Too | Patreon
Become a patron of Matthew Russell Lee: Inner City Press today: Get access to exclusive content and experiences on the world’s largest membership platform for artists and creators.
https://www.patreon.com/MatthewRussellLee
Here is the podcast: anchor.fm/innercity-pres…
Now Maxwell's lawyer Menninger continues digging into NY trip, the lack of Maxwell, other pages of Annie' journal. Expect Loftus on memory lost in defense's case

Dec 10-1: #GhislaineMaxwell fondled Annie Farmer in New Mexico, jury hears, cross-exam & UN cover up by Inner City Press SDNY & UN Podcast
Dec 10-1: #GhislaineMaxwell fondled Annie Farmer in New Mexico, jury hears, cross-examination & UN cover up by @AntonioGuterres, who's represented on GMax' Terramar board

Menninger: You wrote about a cross country skiing trip and going to see bands and a bar...Significantly, you really talked about your emotions after returning from NY, what a great time you had there.
Menninger: So in your journal, you said what Epstein did in the movie theater was not weird, correct?
Annie Farmer: I was struggling.
Menninger: So you are only calling it weird in hindsight0 You are viewing what happened in NY in light of what happened in NM?
Menninger: Let's go to Exhibit 604, the last journal entry you gave to the government for this case?
Menninger: And you never gave the government the full journal, right?
Annie Farmer: Right.
Menninger: You researched when Primal Fear came out then fit your memory to it?
Annie Farmer: I wouldn't say it that way.
Menninger: You communicated with a journalist and told him you'd research the release date of Primal Fear, right?
Judge Nathan: We're going to break for lunch.
Jurors leave.
Judge Nathan: Any issues?
No.
Lunch break - thread will continue, watch this feed - including, hopefully, for a Foley Square live stream. Here's Bonus, incl on Kevin Spacey patreon.com/posts/59749076
Here is the lunch-break live-stream. As we return to the courtroom, Maxwell is chatting with her lawyer, smiling, then sitting with her chin in her hands. Still no Judge Nathan. Docketing the Press letter and releasing logs and lists?

Cross continues.
Maxwell's lawyer Menninger: On direct you didn't mention it, but there was a cook on the ranch as well, right?
Annie Farmer: I have no memory of that.
Menninger: And you didn't see the big glorious Zorro ranch at that time, right?
Menninger: You mentioned the boots. But on the trip you spent a significant amount of time horseback riding.
Annie Farmer: Is that a question?
Menninger: You told the FBI that in 2006, right?
Menninger: Are these the boots?
Menninger: I move for admission of the boots.
Menninger: So you decided to wear the boots, even when you knew they were evidence. You wore them frequently?
Annie Farmer: I didn't wear them to work. I wore them when I was two-stepping.
Menninger: So you wore the boots Jeffrey Epstein gave you when you danced
Menninger: So in the movie theater there was no touching of your genitalia or private parts, was there?
Menninger: And you said you were naked for the full body massage. But you only told the journalist you had no bra on-
AUSA: Objection!
Menninger: You said in 2019 you were unsure if you had your underwear on.
Judge Nathan: Objection overruled. I'll allow the question.
Menninger: You do not recall Jeffrey Epstein pushing an erect penis into your back, do you?
Annie Farmer: I do not recall that.
Menninger: Look at this.
Menninger: You told your mother that you were not raped or sexually abused, right?
Annie Farmer: I said I was not raped.
• • •
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

@innercitypress via @threadreaderapp

Menninger: So you told the Epstein Victims Compensation Fund that the hand-handing in movie theaters was sexual abuse?
Annie Farmer: I told them in detail what happened.
Menninger: But you checked the box, New York. So you think hand holding is sexual abuse
Menninger: You are represented by the Boies Schiller firm, correct?
Menninger: Do you know how much that firm has made in connection with representing Epstein accusers?
Judge Nathan: Objection.
Menninger - and you --
Judge Nathan: Stop!
Menninger: You are on a WhatsApp group of Epstein victims, right?
Annie Farmer: Right.
Menninger: And you have emailed with Virginia Roberts, right?
Annie Farmer: I have.
Re-direct.
AUSA Pomerantz: Do you recall being asked of your FBI statements in 2006?
Annie Farmer: I do.
AUSA: Read the rest of the sentence.
Judge Nathan: Overruled.
Annie Farmer: They canceled Maria trip to NM at the last minute.
AUSA Pomerantz: You mentioned the film Primal Fear-
Annie Farmer: The movie depicts sexual misconduct
[wiki: Primal Fear is a 1996 American legal thriller film [about] a Chicago attorney who believes that his client is not guilty of murdering a Catholic archbishop
AUSA Pomerantz: Did you need a piece of paper to remember Maxwell touching your breasts?
Annie Farmer: I do not. It was distressing. Those are things that we remember.
Annie Farmer: I believe they were trying to confuse me as to the boundaries, as to what was right and wrong, in order to sexually abuse me.
Judge Nathan: Next witness.
And now before the next witness, Judge Nathan calls a break, urging counsel to confer.

The next witness is David Mulligan, now a baker, Annie Farmer's boyfriend in high school.
AUSA: Did Annie tell you how how the trip to Thailand was paid for?
Mulligan: Yes. Jeffrey Epstein.
AUSA: What did Annie tell you about being in New York?
Mulligan: That Epstein touched her leg in the theater and that she didn't want to say anything because Epstein was helping her sister Maria's artistic career.

Now cross examination by Maxwell's Bobbi Sternheim.
Sternheim: You've seen things in the media about this?
Mulligan: I'm not much of a news watcher.
Sternheim: You know she made $1.5 million?
Mulligan: I do not.
Sternheim: Annie Farmer attended your recent wedding, correct?
Mulligan: Yes.
Sternheim: No further questions.
Redirect.
AUSA: Why do you remember what Annie Farmer told you about New Mexico?
Mulligan: These were big moments, that we discussed while being physically affectionate with each other.
Judge Nathan: Next witness.

Next witness is the mother of Annie Farmer, Janice Swain.
AUSA: How old are you:
Swain: 71.
AUSA: When did you speak with Jeffrey Epstein?
Swain: When he wanted to take Maria on his plane to Florida on a work trip.
Swain: Then Epstein told me about a meeting of students at his ranch in New Mexico, to talk about college plans. I asked who would be chaperoning? He said his wife Ghislaine would be.
Swain: Annie returned with a pair of black boots. She said Jeffrey Epstein bought them for her. She seemed very tired. Later I asked what happened in New Mexico.
AUSA: What did she say?
Annie Farmer: That she didn't want to talk about it.
AUSA: No further questions
Maxwell's lawyer Menninger: You don't know if Maxwell was aware whether Maria would travel to New Mexico, do you? And when Annie was in Thailand you were in Germany, correct?
Swain: Yes.
Menninger: No further questions.
AUSA: The government rests.
Jury leaves.

Maxwell's laywer Everdell: Defense moves for acquittal.
Judge Nathan: As to all counts?
Everdell: Yes. Counts depend on the testimony of Jane. There is no evidence that anyone persuaded or induced Jane to come to NY.
Everdell: There is flying BACK to Palm Beach - that is not enticing to New York. Accompanying is not encouraging. All Ghislaine did was paperwork.
AUSA Rohrbach: The court should deny the motion. Jane was not in NY by accident. There was no non-sexualized reason. Jane said the defendant talked about sex with her - the enticement statute applies.
Judge Nathan: Motions are denied. What do we need to discuss before Thursday?
Team Maxwell: We want our witnesses anonymous too.
Judge Nathan: It should have been raised earlier. The earliest decision I can give you is Wednesday evening. And charging conference on Saturday, Dec 18.
Judge Nathan: So defense case 16th and 17th --
Maxwell's lawyer: Into the 20th.
Judge Nathan: So closing arguments on the 21st.
Maxwell's lawyer Sternheim: We don't want the jury to rush to decide before Christmas holiday.

Judge Nathan: We'll see where we are.
Sternheim: US has already said there will be a rebuttal case. We don't want the jury to rush.
AUSA: It'd only be a rebuttal expert. We'll be ready to close day after evidence.
Adjourned. - out into the streets
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

I'm confused about why Maxwell's assault is not "illegal sexual activity" just because the victim wasn't underage per NM law. Isn't it still assault? Is it because the victim had previously sued her?

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Federal Judge Denies Ghislaine Maxwell’s ‘Unprecedented’ Bid for Witness Anonymity as Defense Case Begins
ADAM KLASFELD Dec 16th, 2021, 10:26 am

“These reasons for granting the Government’s prior motion do not apply to the Defense’s present request,” the ruling states. “Based on the current proffer, none of the Defense’s witnesses intend to testify to sensitive personal topics or sexual conduct. Rather, they all are anticipated to deny misconduct by Epstein and Ms. Maxwell, and therefore do not qualify as victims under § 3771.”

That is the statute codifying crime victims’ rights.

“Further, there is no similar concern, as there are for alleged victims of sexual abuse, that denying the use of pseudonyms will deter reports of misconduct,” Nathan added.

The judge described Maxwell’s request as “unprecedented.”

“It is notable that the Defense does not cite in support of its motion a single case in which a court granted the use of pseudonyms to defense witnesses,” the ruling states. “Neither does the Government. And nor could the Court after significant independent research. It appears, then, that the Defense’s requested relief is unprecedented.”

Maxwell’s defense team argued that the intense media focus on their client’s case required groundbreaking action, but Judge Nathan rejected that proposition, citing the likewise high-profile case of NXIVM sex cult leader Keith Raniere.

“There, after a defendant pled guilty, the defense sought to keep letters submitted in support of the defendant at sentencing anonymous, arguing that anonymity was necessary because ‘the authors of supportive letters may face retribution if their identities are publicly known, given the public attention that has been paid to this case’ and that failure to do so ‘will have a chilling effect on individuals who wish to speak in support of defendants in other high-profile prosecutions,'” the judge noted. “The court acknowledged the individuals’ ‘genuine interest in assisting sentencing while remaining out of the public eye themselves,’ but concluded that their letters about the defendant did ‘not involve traditionally private matters’ and that the public’s interest in access prevailed.”

For Judge Nathan, the same reasoning prevailed in Maxwell’s case.

Maxwell also argued that certain witnesses might not testify in her defense without anonymity, compromising her right to a fair trial.

Judge Nathan questioned why the defense raised this concern only after the government rested its case.

“If the Defense anticipated calling a witness who refuses to testify, the Defense would have the same tools at its disposal as does the Government to compel that witness’s attendance at trial,” the ruling states.

Maxwell’s defense case started on Thursday morning. The first witness, Cimberly Espinosa, was a former executive assistant for Epstein who praised Maxwell as a boss.

Read the ruling below:

https://lawandcrime.com/live-trials/ghi ... se-begins/

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

matthew russel lee as @innercitypress via @threadreaderapp

OK - Now Trial Day 11 of US v. #GhislaineMaxwell, Inner City Press is reporting on the case including 3 day (DC) hiatus and will now continue live tweeting the trial day(s), thread below patreon.com/posts/59982178

Judge Alison Nathan, who yesterday in DC forwarded her nomination to 2d Circuit Court of Appeals, takes the bench & just begins ruling on the filings that built up over the 3 day hiatus (request for call in line amid Omicron and all flight logs still UNacted on)

Judge Nathan: About Doctor Loftus' testimony. The US seeks to exclude 2 aspects, her testimony on leading questions and therapists' techniques. I have ruled that these are generally admissible. I deny the government's motion to preclude.

Maxwell's lawyer Bobbi Sternheim: I didn't think there was a need to make this part of the public record.
[Talk, which we'll also anonymize, is about positive COVID test. But question: has the 3 day hiatus made a COVID impact on this trial more or less likely?]

Judge Nathan: I let a juror deliberate remotely...
[That was in US v. Nejad, which Inner City Press also covered, in March 2020]
Team Maxwell: Our first witness, Ms. Espinosa, has given us some photos of the soap opera of "Jane"
[Maxwell doxing alert]
OK - it's on.
Maxwell's lawyer: In October 1996, where were you living?
Witness: I started out on the Upper East Side.
Maxwell's lawyer: I was hired as a lawyer for Jeffrey Epstein's company.
Maxwell's lawyer: Would you recognize Ms. Maxwell today?
Ms. Espinosa: She's over there, in what appears to be a PURPLE [or maroon : ) ] sweater.
[Identification made]
Maxwell's lawyer: Where else did you work?
Ms. Espinosa: Sometimes at Ghislaine's residence.
Ms. Espinosa: Did did have other personal assistants come through, like Sarah Kellen and Emmy Tayler.
Maxwell's lawyer: When did you see Sarah Kellen?
Ms. Espinosa: More toward the end.
Maxwell's lawyer: Can you describe the layout of the office on Madison Avenue?
Espinosa: You get off the elevator and there are the restrooms. Jeffrey's office was in the corner. I sat to the left of his assistant. My office was Ghislaine's office. We shared it.
Maxwell's lawyer: Did you sign a non disclosure agreement?
Espinosa: Yes.
Espinosa: Ghislaine ran the properties for Jeffrey Epstein.
Maxwell's lawyer: Where did she fall in importance?
Espinosa: She was obviously very important to me. And to Jeffrey, given his personal residences.
Espinosa: Jeffrey acquired a Paris apartment, and then an island. It was called Little St. James but got renamed, Little Saint Jeff's.
Maxwell's lawyer: Did you assist?
Espinosa: There was construction. I furnished the house, in a resort style.
Espinosa: We shipped in sand --
Maxwell's lawyer: You shipped in sand to a tropical island?
Espinosa: He wanted more sand on the beach. And palm trees. We even had a fire truck and fire men on the island.
Espinosa: Before Jeffrey would visit one of the residences, we would fly in the bread he liked. I think we did butter, too.
Maxwell's lawyer: What about Emmy Tayler?
Espinosa: She would take care of the dog, and carry Ghislaine's handbag.
Maxwell's lawyer: Did Ghislaine ever live with Jeffrey Epstein?
Espinosa: No.
Maxwell's lawyer: What about 44 Kinnerton Street in London?
Espinosa: Yes, I've been there. 3 years ago.
Maxwell's lawyer: Do you know who owned it?
Maxwell's lawyer: Did Jeffrey Epstein receive female visitors in his office?
Espinosa: Yes.
Maxwell's lawyer: Look at this docuemnt & call the person "Jane." Do you recall seeing her in the office?
Espinosa: Yes
Maxwell's lawyer: How old did she seem?
Espinosa: 18
Maxwell's lawyer: Do you know if Jane traveled in Mr. Epstein's planes?
Espinosa: I don't know. She moved to California to be on a soap opera. It's my favorite soap opera. I have headshots she sent me.
[doxing alert]
Maxwell's lawyer: We want to introduce these headshots into the records under seal, at least temporarily. I have copies for the jurors. Can your read the envelope?
Espinosa: It's from Jane to Cimberly [she pronounces her name Kimberly] It's headshots of the cast
Espinosa: Ghislaine and Epstein at that time were behaving like a couple. All flirty. It seemed like Ghislaine moved on. I know she started dating --
Assistant US Attorney: Objection! Lack of foundation.
Maxwell's lawyer: Who came to visit Jeffrey Epstein at the office?
Espinosa: Gwendolyn Beck.... Shelly Lewis... She was British.
Maxwell's lawyer: Moving on, when Ghislaine went to Florida, was it only Palm Beach?
Espinosa: Miami too. She had a friend there.
Maxwell's lawyer: Do you know who Ted Waitt is?
Espinosa: I learned.
[Gateway co-founder]
Judge Nathan: We'll stop here for the mid-morning break.

Everdell: Do you know if Ms. Maxwell got married?
Espinosa starts to answer but AUSA objects.
Everdell: OK, when did you have a video conference with the government about this case?
Espinosa: November 2020.
Everdell: Do you know if Ms. Maxwell got married?
Espinosa starts to answer but AUSA objects.
Everdell: OK, when did you have a video conference with the government about this case?
Espinosa: November 2020.
Everdell: Why did you leave?
Espinosa: After 9/11 I wanted to return to California. I feel like Ghislaine was a good resource for my own career, what I learned, how to handle multiple projects at one time. It helped me get to where I am today.
Everdell: did you ever seen Jeffrey Epstein involved with young girls?
Everdell: No further questions.
Judge Nathan: Cross.
AUSA: You never went to Palm Beach, right?
Next witness: Raghu Sud.
Everdell: Where do you live?
Sud: East Windsor, NJ. I work at Shopper's Travel since 1988. I am Vice President.
Everdell: Was Epstein a customer?
Sud: Yes.
Everdell: Can you authenticate these travel records? Yes.
AUSA: These records in RS-1, they are to 2006?
Yes.
Everdell: No re-direct.
[Will these defense exhibits be made available a la Rakoff? documentcloud.org/documents/2051…
Next witness: Elizabeth Loftus, who testified for Harvey Weinstein. First, her credentials. This could take a while.
Loftus: I have a big c.v. I have been consulted by DOJ, the CIA...
Maxwells' lawyer: Are there experiments on emotion and its impact on memory?
Loftus: I published one in 2008. We implanted entire flash events and measures responses
Loftus: I've testified in 300 trials. I've only consulted with the prosecution 5 times, and testified only one for the prosecution. My research into false memory doesn't fit into their agenda.
Loftus is accepted as an expert witness in this case.
Loftus: Your Honor, can I used the equipment to show the jurors the three stages?
AUSA Pomerantz: No objection.
Loftus: The media is a source of post-event false memories, contamination.
Loftus (bragging) - And when I was consulting for with Secret Service...
[Wag Q: And when was that?
Loftus has drawn a barbell, labeled "Acquisition - Retention - Retrieval." Now she says people might remember something as a dumbbell is it's labeled so
Update: Now Loftus has drawn a box under the bar of the barbell and has written in it the word "Time."
Judge Nathan: OK, we're going to take the lunch break. Jurors, enjoy your lunch. [They leave]
Judge Nathan: I'll look at your submissions while I have my lunch.
Judge Nathan: We'll try to come to resolution before the jury comes back. Mr. Hamilton, you're going to confer on that, how to make it happen.
Maxwell's lawyer: If he's up to it.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Inner City Press via @threadreaderapp

OK - now US v. #GhislaineMaxwell trial Day 11, afternoon thread. Maxwell's lawyer want to put in "prior inconsistent statement" of survivor witness Carolyn, after they finish the paid memory decay expert Loftus. Inner City Press will live tweet, thread below

Judge Nathan: What else?
Maxwell's lawyer: The US' rebuttal expert, I'm prepared to file something if they actually call the expert.
Judge Nathan: Hamilton?
Everdell: We reached him, he can do WebEx tomorrow.
Sternheim: Because of his condition, we haven't spoken.
Jury entering!
Maxwell's lawyer: Dr Loftus, are you aware of image enhancing memory distortion?
Loftus: It makes people feel better about themselves.
Maxwell's lawyer: I asked you about C.V. So I move into evidence your C.V.
AUSA: Objection.
Judge Nathan: I am allowing in Dr Loftus' C.V.
Maxwell's lawyer: What are you charging?
Loftus: $600 an hour.
Maxwell's lawyer: Media distortion includes dramatic portrayals, right?
Loftus: Oh, yes.
Cross examination.
AUSA Pomerantz: Let's talk about consulting. You've done it with defense attorneys 100s of times, right?
Loftus: Probably.
AUSA: You've only consulted with the prosecutors five times, right?
Loftus: Right.
AUSA: In your book "Witness for the Defense," you wrote that you should be an advocate
Loftus: That leaves out the context --
AUSA: You don't sit in courtroom - you weren't present for testimony on this case, right?
Loftus: I was not present in the courtroom.
AUSA: You're charging the defendant $600 an hour right now, right?
Loftus: Yes.
AUSA: You were paid for high profile defendants, right? Millions of dollars?
Loftus: I don't know how much.
AUSA: In 1975 you didn't charge $600 a hour, right?
Loftus: I did it free.
AUSA: You market yourself by testifying, right?
Loftus: I don't market myself at all.
AUSA: You give lists of your cases to defense attorneys, right?
Loftus: When asked.
AUSA: You testified for Harvey Weinstein, right?
Judge Nathan: Just a moment.
[When they resume, there's no more mention of Harvey Weinstein. At least not yet.]
AUSA: When you testify for high profile defendants, it brings you more business, right?
Loftus: Maybe.
AUSA: You showed fake photos of Bugs Bunny at Disney, right?
AUSA: Bugs Bunny is Warner Brothers, but 16% misremembered, right?
Maxwell's lawyer: I object.
Judge Nathan: You can come up.
[Sidebar]
Lawyers return from sidebar.
Loftus: Some falsely remembered touching Bugs Bunny's head and him saying "What's Up, doc?"
[#WhatsUpDoc - $600/hour]
AUSA: There's a science museum experiment, right?
AUSA: And the lost in the mall study - 25% misremembered, right?
Loftus: Correct.
AUSA: I'm not going to ask you to describe a rectal enema, but it's a painful procedure, right?
AUSA: This memory could not easily be implanted
Re-direct.
Maxwell's lawyer: There are restrictions on what kind of studies you can do, right?
Judge Nathan: I'll allow it.
Loftus: We can't implant memories of sexual abuse.
Next witness: Michael William Aznaran.
Maxwell's lawyer: We need a sidebar.
Judge Nathan: Wait for the break.
Maxwell's lawyer: Where do you work?
Aznaran: Customs & Border Protection. We check incoming people
Maxwell's letter: Look at this sealed Exhibit GX12. Call her Jane. Did you search for this?
Aznaran: I did.
Maxwell's lawyer: And Kate and Annie Farmer, did you search for them?
Aznaran: Yes, I did the searches.
Maxwell's lawyer: So now we need the sidebar.
Judge Nathan: We'll get the jurors their afternoon break.
[Jury leaves, no mention of snacks]
Judge Nathan: Mr. Azaran, could you step out?
AUSA: These are 15 years of records, including outside the charges time frame.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

From @innercitypress via @threadreaderapp

Now the exhibit is going sealed. Everdell continues Q&A

Aznaran: At JFK, each of the five international terminals has a code and it's in this report. I ran it Dec 14
Everdell: What does airline not APIS mean?
Aznaran: APIS is Advanced Passenger Information System.
Maxwell's lawyer Everdell: So for Annie Farmer, you have records from 1997 to 2006?
Aznaran: Yes.
Everdell: And this one, for Jane - you see her date of birth, right? Can I say the year?
[doxing alert]
Cross examination.
AUSA: What are the differences between CBP record before and after 9/11?
Aznaran: The further back you go, you won't get an on-board or not on-board status.
AUSA: So the ones before 9/11 were not as complete?
Aznaran: Not all the time.

Judge Nathan (at 4:52 pm) Defense may call its next witness.
It's Dominique Hyppolite.
Maxwell's lawyer: Where do you live and work?
Hyppolite: Palm Beach school district. I coordinate the processing of subpoenas and represent the district as records custodian.

Inner City Press @innercitypress

Maxwell's lawyer: May I approach the witness with a document?
Judge Nathan: It's 5 pm. Let's end for the day.
AUSA: We could just stipulate to this.
Defense: remaining witnesses Eva, Michele & Kelly. Depending on your rulings.
Judge Nathan: Letters due at 7:30 pm (Inner City Press will report - IF they get docketed)
Defense: We might end tomorrow, or on Monday.
Judge Nathan: Closings on Monday, then. Charge and to the jury.

[So, before Christmas? Countdown.

Judge Nathan: This is usually the point I allocute the defendant [that is, ask if they'll testify]
Defense: Let's do that tomorrow.
Judge Nathan: So we'll do the closings and charge on Monday

[meaning, deliberation on Tuesday Dec 21
Xmas...

Judge Nathan: So we're done. You'll get the draft charge tomorrow.

[With defense agreeing closings Monday, seems clear Maxwell will NOT testify]
Judge Nathan: Letters due at 7:30 pm (Inner City Press will report - IF they get docketed)

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Matthew Russell Lee as @innercitypress via @threadreaderapp

OK - it's US v. #GhislaineMaxwell trial Day 12, defense arguing to keep their case open until Monday for a final, 81-year old witness. Inner City Press is reporting on the case and will live tweet, thread below patreon.com/posts/60022486

Judge Nathan: I'm letting in the documents about residence versus ownership. If I weren't, you might have a point. Is this deposition transcript new to you?
Maxwell's lawyer: She was deposed in a slip and fall case.
Judge Nathan: You'll provide the transcript.
Judge Nathan: I have a rule, you have your next witness or you rest. If otherwise the case closes today, it closes today.
[Couldn't Maxwell's lawyers just do super-long direct examination? And what about the 3 day hiatus?]
Maxwell's lawyer: Also if the Marshals can produce another witness we've subpoenaed... The other witness, from the UK, if they will stipulate to it, there'd be no review.
Assistant US Attorney: The subpoenaed witness Kelly, we have no idea what she'd say. No stip

Maxwell's lawyer Menninger: I understand your Honor wants to run this quickly, but it's a lot of work.
Judge Nathan (laughs) I understand that, Ms. Menninger. Give me a written application and a proposed order in half an hour.
Judge Nathan: There are also some 40 prior inconsistent statements. My colleague Judge Kaplan has helpfully set forth the standard.
[He's the judge with Giuffre v. Prince Andrew before him, which Inner City Press is also reporting on]
Judge Nathan: Annie said she didn't remember a chef being there [on the Zorro ranch] but that it made sense to her, so not inconsistency. And the amount of horseback riding is a collateral issue.
Maxwell's lawyer: I think impeachment is for the truth [of the matter asserted]
Judge Nathan: That's way too metaphysical for me to handle right now. (Laughs).
Maxwell's lawyer: We'll have a law enforcement witness and we'd like to ask leading questions.
Judge Nathan: Truth comes out on direct. Start with that.
Maxwell's lawyer: I want to get to the absence of evidence, the lack of GPS given the age of the allegations.
Maxwell's lawyer Everdell: I wanted to ask the agent, that the complaint was first on one time frame then more recent, with Carolyn. I think that's relevant.
AUSA: The court has already ruled on this - the path of the investigation. Let's them raise it in closing
Judge Nathan: Who's the first [defense] witness today?
Maxwell's lawyer: First Special Agent Jason Richards. Then we would have had Agent Young. Then [drumroll] Eva Dubin

OK - jury is finally called in at 10:30 am, an hour late
All rise!
Witness is Agent Jason Richards.
Maxwell's Pagliuca: Where are you based?
Richards: Miami. Before, Palm Beach.
Pagliuca: Let's turn to 2006.
Richards: I was in Unit PV-2. We investigated Epstein.
Pagliuca: Did you interview Carolyn - don't say her last name?
Agent Richards: I did.
Pagluca: Did you recall Carolyn saying she obtained Epstein's number from a phone book and that Epstein returned her call?
Richards: If that's what's in the 302 report.
Pagliuca: No further questions.
Cross.
AUSA: Do you show your 302s to those you speak to?
Richards: No.
Judge Nathan: Defense may call it's next witness.
Maxwell's lawyer: We call Agent Amanda Young.

[Eva Dubin next they's said anchor.fm/innercity-pres…]

Maxwell's lawyer: Agent Young, was your partner Detective Burns?
Young: Yes. We both check the 302.
Maxwell's lawyer: You just heard Ms. Comey's questions to Agent Richards. 302s are not transcripts, right?
Young: They are not.
Maxwell's lawyer: You interviewed Annie Farmer. About the boots, right?
Young: Yes. The boots were obtained by law enforcement this year. I don't remember which month.
Maxwell's lawyer: Read this.
Young: "In the beginning, Jane would be with her mother and brothers at the Epstein house."
Maxwell's lawyer (Menninger) - I want to turn to page 7. You wrote, Jane did not recall specific abuse that may have occurred in New Mexico
Maxwell's lawyer: Just to emphasize, the boots were discussed recently?
Young: Yes.
Cross.
AUSA: What did you do before?
Young; I interviewed children about child abuse.

[Now there is a sidebar. Agent Amanda Young sits in the plexi-glass witness box, in dark blue shirt, black jacket. They're back]

Judge Nathan: Jurors will disregard the statement about Agent Young's previous job interviewing children.
AUSA: Did Jane need more than one meeting to say what happened?
Maxwell's lawyer: Objection! Beyond the scope!
AUSA: I'll try another way. Who was there for the inverviews?
Maxwell's lawyer: Objection! Beyond the scope - I didn't ask about this.
Redirect:
Maxwell's Menninger: You used these notes with the grand jury, right?
Young: Some of them.
Maxwell's Menninger: Did you show her the 302s?
Young. No. It's not ethical. It's not appropriate.
Maxwell's Menninger: You don't record them?
Young: Only those in custody. Not victim / witnesses.
Maxwell's Menninger: Are you familiar with the DOJ Obtaining Evidence protocols?
Menninger: I have a document, I can show it
[And now, yet another sidebar. and now - the next witness: Eva Dubin]

Since Dubin's testimony is a major highlight I'm making a separate page for it.

P1

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

P2
[And now, yet another sidebar. and now - the next witness: Eva Dubin]

Witness: I am Eva Andersson. I also go by Eva Andersson-Dubin. I live in NYC. I am 60.
Maxwell's lawyer: You are married to Glenn Dubin?
Eva: Yes. 28 years. We have 3 children: 27, 25 & 20
Maxwell's lawyer: Gender?
Eva: Female, male, female.
Maxwell's lawyer: What does Mr. Dubin do for employment?
Eva: He is self-employed. I was previously employed as a medical doctor.
Eva: I went to medical school in Stockholm, then UCLA. Then Lenox Hill Hospital in NYC.
Maxwell's lawyer: Did you know Mr. Epstein?
Eva: We dated off and on from 1983 until 1991.

[Note: it's reported that Virginia Robert Giuffre gave Eva a non-sexual massage then after Eva fell asleep, had intercourse with Glenn. Cross-examination? #MaximumMaxwell patreon.com/posts/60022486

Maxwell's lawyer: Did you ever witness any sexual contact between Mr Epstein and --
AUSA Moe: Objection!
[Another sidebar]

Maxwell's lawyer: Let me show you some photographs under seal. Is one person Mr. Epstein and the other one of your children?
Eva: Yes it's the 20. I've never seen this picture before.
Maxwell's lawyer: Let me ask you about flight records.
[These remain largely redacted and Inner City Press' challenge still not docketed - apparently under the theory that if it's denied, it's not a judicial document documentcloud.org/documents/2115…
Judge Nathan: I'll give the jurors their mid-morning break.
Jurors leave, and witness steps out.
Judge Nathan: If there's something inaccurate in the media writ-large, like a blog post...
Judge Nathan: I sustain the government's objection [to asking about published flight logs] under 401 and 403. Now we'll take our break.

Jury is back.
Maxwell's lawyer: Let's look at GX662r, the redacted flight logs of Dave Roberts. Can you see it Doctor Dubin?
Judge Nathan: Can we make sure it is redacted? If so it may be published
On the screen, flight with "JE, Eva Andersson" and Ms. Francis Jardine.
Maxwell's lawyer: Do you remember Francis Jardine?
Eva: I remember Francis, I didn't know her last name.
Maxwell's lawyer: you knew Mr. Epstein was dating her?
Eva: Yes.
Maxwell's lawyer: I'll show you sealed exhibit GX12... and now, only for the witness and court, unredacted Exhibit 662.
[Nothing shown on screen]
Eva: I recognize Sophie Biddle, a massage therapist... And I see my husband's name.

Maxwell's lawyer: Without saying the name that we are not saying, do you see it on the list?
Eva: Yes.
Maxwell's lawyer: Have you ever been in a group sexual encounter with Jane?
Eva: I have not.
Maxwell's lawyer: That's all I have.
Judge Nathan: Ms. Moe.
Cross.
AUSA Moe: Are you the only Eva in the whole wide world?
Maxwell's lawyer: Objection on relevance.
AUSA Moe: Did you ever discuss with Mr. Epstein his relationship with Ms Maxwell?
Maxwell's lawyer: Hearsay.
AUSA Moe: With respect, do you have issues with your memory?
Eva: I can't remember things from last month.

Maxwell's lawyer: This does not need to be discussed.
AUSA Moe: Nothing further.
No redirect.
Judge Nathan: Defense may call its next witness.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

P3

It's Michelle Healy. She says: I'm 47, live in Dallas, as a housewife. My husband is an architect. My system Shannon lives in Albuqueque. I grew up on Long Island. NY from 1974 to 1999.
Menninger: Where did you work in 1996?
Healy: J. Epstein and company.
Healy: I went to Zorro ranch, my sister was working there.
Maxwell's lawyer: Were you ever involved in any group sexualized massages with Jane?
Healy: Absolutely not.
Cross.
AUSA Comey: Are you the only Michelle in the world?
Michelle Healy: I hope not.
AUSA: Never flew on Epstein's plane?
Healy: No.
AUSA: Nothing further.

Lunch break - story innercitypress.com/sdnytrial47max… coming on @SubstackInc & then... live stream? Watch this feed.
Still not out in Foley Square - in court with jury out, Maxwell's lawyer pushing to have Nag's Head Pub witness testify on Monday.
Judge Nathan: I always say, I have so many bridges to cross. I cross the bridge that is in front of me.
Maxwell's lawyer: We want to put in property records about Stanhope Mews, too. They are self-authenticating.
Judge Nathan: What do we have after lunch?
Maxwell's lawyer: We'll try to work out the other stips.
Judge Nathan: So, no more defense witnesses? I'm going to spend my remaining lunch hour reviewing Kelly.
AUSA: If not Monday morning, it's too late.
Judge Nathan: It'll be a long break for the jury - try to confer.

Judge Nathan: It'll be a long break for the jury - try to confer.
Now out to Foley Square
watch this feed
Still waiting for return of #MaxwellTrial jury, now 2:25 pm.

Jury *still* not back, 2:42 pm. Judge Nathan said she intends to ask #GhislaineMaxwell whether she intends to testify. Now Maxwell is talking at length with her lawyer Bobbi Sternheim and others.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Inner City Press
@innercitypress

Judge Nathan: I'm sustaining the objection, given the posture of that case at the time [it was on summary judgment]
AUSA: In the old deposition of Epstein, the government's goal wasn't what it is here, to determine where he was living, there or on 9 East 71st St

Inner City Press
@innercitypress
·
44s
Maxwell's lawyer: Jane says Epstein was living in 9 East 71st on 1994. But this case says different.
Judge Nathan: It's not coming in. And I heard, no arrest warrant for Kelly>
Maxwell's lawyer: No need to arrest Kelly "Bolino" (sp)
AUSA: No government rebuttal case

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

via @innercitypress

Maxwell's lawyer: Jane says Epstein was living in 9 East 71st on 1994. But this case says different.
Judge Nathan: It's not coming in. And I heard, no arrest warrant for Kelly>
Maxwell's lawyer: No need to arrest Kelly "Bolino" (sp)
AUSA: No government rebuttal case
Now: allocution.
Judge Nathan: Ms. Maxwell, please rise. The decision to testify or not is your decision. Do you understand?
Maxwell: Your Honor, the government had not proved its case beyond a reasonable doubt. So there is no need for me to testify.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

In response to a question as to whether the jury will get the case now

Inner City Press
@innercitypress
·
3m
No - they will read into the record 15 minutes of stipulations. They will do a charging conference - Saturday : ( to decide on how to charge the jury. Monday, closing arguments and the charge. THEN the jury get the case, to deliberate