ATP Cup 1/1 - 1/9 2022

Davis Cup, BJK Cup, ATP Cup, Olympics and Laver cup, plus maybe a few others
mick1303 Ukraine

Re: ATP Cup 1/1 - 1/9 2022

Post by mick1303 »

I'm wondering what is behind Tsitsipas's decision to forego singles and only play doubles.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:01 am I see a Georgian player Alexandre Metreveli..wonder if he is related to the near-great of the same name who went to the finals of Wimbledon in 1973...i remember listening to that match on BBC...
Wow, what a memory! Without looking it up, who beat him in the final? What was it like listening to a tennis match on the radio?

Post by meganfernandez »

mick1303 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:43 am I'm wondering what is behind Tsitsipas's decision to forego singles and only play doubles.
i think he's just protecting his body. He had elbow surgery in late November. It was a relatively minor injury, but still, probably just taking it easy out of the gate.

Edit: Yeah, he said as much after his doubles match. Said the elbow isn't 100%.
Last edited by meganfernandez on Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

meganfernandez wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:52 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:01 am I see a Georgian player Alexandre Metreveli..wonder if he is related to the near-great of the same name who went to the finals of Wimbledon in 1973...i remember listening to that match on BBC...
Wow, what a memory! Without looking it up, who beat him in the final? What was it like listening to a tennis match on the radio?
Jan Kodes, the year of the boycott..
Radio was the all there was, TV hadn't come to our country yet...it was fun, exciting enough...
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Metreveli lost the final to Jan Kodes. That was the year of the Wimbledon boycott, when the top players did not go due to differences between the AELTC and the players about prize money. Kodes would have been a true piece of magnificent trivia and has been frequently maligned by people because he won the trophy on the boycott year, but he also won one RG fair and square. He was certainly not a power in tennis, but he was also not totally fluke. Just by a whisker.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by meganfernandez »

Announcer said the 3-minute bathroom break starts when the player reaches the bathroom (and presumably the clock stops when the player leaves the bathroom). So the 3 minutes is time in the bathroom, not including walking to and from. I assume this is the new ATP rule. Can't remember if it will be in effect at the Slams (ITF).
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

ponchi101 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:01 pm
Metreveli lost the final to Jan Kodes. That was the year of the Wimbledon boycott, when the top players did not go due to differences between the AELTC and the players about prize money. Kodes would have been a true piece of magnificent trivia and has been frequently maligned by people because he won the trophy on the boycott year, but he also won one RG fair and square. He was certainly not a power in tennis, but he was also not totally fluke. Just by a whisker.
I did get to see Metreveli later once in an exhibition..he was quick and powerful, decimated the field..at W 1973 he had beaten Connors on the way...of course Connors was very young, but won W the next year so he was pretty good.. as for Kodes, I never saw him but he was good, got to the uSO finals where Smith beat him...
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Correction..Kodes got to the USO finals twice, beaten by Smith and then Newcombe..he also had already won the French..not too shabby..
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Given that so many things are shut down right now because of the virus, I'd like to be able to enjoy watching some tennis. But even under these circumstances, with little else to do/watch, I can't bring myself to care about the ATP Cup.

What's the situation with fan capacity at the venue? What percentage of capacity is permitted? (I've searched for the answer, but can't find it.) Judging by the number of empty seats, it looks like the fans are taking up only about 7% of the capacity, quite literally.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Agree about the ATP Cup. Low attendance and it's on but I just look up every now and then to check the score.

FAA was down 2-6 in the first set tb vs Fritz and came back to win it. Fritz won the second set 6-4 and it's on serve in the third.

Quality of play? I don't know.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by meganfernandez »

Deuce wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:17 am Given that so many things are shut down right now because of the virus, I'd like to be able to enjoy watching some tennis. But even under these circumstances, with little else to do/watch, I can't bring myself to care about the ATP Cup.

What's the situation with fan capacity at the venue? What percentage of capacity is permitted? (I've searched for the answer, but can't find it.) Judging by the number of empty seats, it looks like the fans are taking up only about 7% of the capacity, quite literally.
I don't care about the ATP Cup at all, but I'm captivated by this Medvedev-Humbert match anyway. Good stuff for the first day of the year!

Quality of FAA-Fritz was just so-so in the second and third sets. I didn't see the first set. It didn't hold my attention very much.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Humbert showing some good tennis. Frustrating Medvedev, who is going for 100% in his 2nd serves, showing that you can get under his skin.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by meganfernandez »

Great win for Humbert over Medvedev, 5-7, 7-5, 7-6. It didn't feel like an exo. Humbert came back from a break down in the second and third sets. He was the more offensive player and, as the announcer said, looked a little fresher in the end. He kept France alive in this tie, too. What a performance. Humbert is now 2-0 vs Medvedev.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

It may not have 'felt like an exhibition', but I guarantee you that the players play these matches differently than they play the Majors, for instance. In general, they are less afraid to lose in these matches. The odds of Humbert beating Medvedev in a match at the Aussie Open in 2 weeks would be quite a bit smaller than the odds of Humbert winning this ATP Cup match.

And these players are certainly good enough to make it look as if they're trying their best when they're not. I'm not saying that they deliberately miss shots (although I'm sure that does occur sometimes)... but going for low percentage shots (higher risk of failure) is certainly more common in these types of events than it is in the Majors.
This also happens in tournaments smaller than the Majors - in varying degrees, usually generally corresponding to the size of the tournament (1000s, 500s, etc.). But I believe it happens more in these types of exhibitions, where the atmosphere is more relaxed and friendly, than in any official tournament.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Post by meganfernandez »

Deuce wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:21 am It may not have 'felt like an exhibition', but I guarantee you that the players play these matches differently than they play the Majors, for instance. In general, they are less afraid to lose in these matches. The odds of Humbert beating Medvedev in a match at the Aussie Open in 2 weeks would be quite a bit smaller than the odds of Humbert winning this ATP Cup match.

And these players are certainly good enough to make it look as if they're trying their best when they're not. I'm not saying that they deliberately miss shots (although I'm sure that does occur sometimes)... but going for low percentage shots (higher risk of failure) is certainly more common in these types of events than it is in the Majors.
This also happens in tournaments smaller than the Majors - in varying degrees, usually generally corresponding to the size of the tournament (1000s, 500s, etc.). But I believe it happens more in these types of exhibitions, where the atmosphere is more relaxed and friendly, than in any official tournament.
Maybe... but if you get to a third-set TB, and the match will seal the tie, why not go ahead and play for the win? Regardless, it was a fantastic match.

Medvedev definitely wasn't going for low-percentage shots. He was on the defensive the whole time. Which I know he's fine with, but he didn't go for any lines. He wasn't just putting it back in play, but Humbert was in control of most of the match, except Meddy's serve... which he was returning pretty well, to Meddy's feet, in the third set.