ATP Cup 1/1 - 1/9 2022

Davis Cup, BJK Cup, ATP Cup, Olympics and Laver cup, plus maybe a few others
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: ATP Cup 1/1 - 1/9 2022

Post by ponchi101 »

meganfernandez wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:37 pm ...
Maybe... but if you get to a third-set TB, and the match will seal the tie, why not go ahead and play for the win? Regardless, it was a fantastic match.

Medvedev definitely wasn't going for low-percentage shots. He was on the defensive the whole time. Which I know he's fine with, but he didn't go for any lines. He wasn't just putting it back in play, but Humbert was in control of most of the match, except Meddy's serve... which he was returning pretty well, to Meddy's feet, in the third set.
He wasn't going for low percentage shots, but he has this habit of serving first serves when he serves second serves and it is a tight situation. He is quite successful, one has to admit, but by definition that is about a 60% chance of success. I wonder if he gets nervous or it is the opposite, that he is relaxed and really trusts his serve, but I think it is odd because it is not a power second serve, it is a first.
I would side with believing he is confident, but really can't tell.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:21 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:37 pm ...
Maybe... but if you get to a third-set TB, and the match will seal the tie, why not go ahead and play for the win? Regardless, it was a fantastic match.

Medvedev definitely wasn't going for low-percentage shots. He was on the defensive the whole time. Which I know he's fine with, but he didn't go for any lines. He wasn't just putting it back in play, but Humbert was in control of most of the match, except Meddy's serve... which he was returning pretty well, to Meddy's feet, in the third set.
He wasn't going for low percentage shots, but he has this habit of serving first serves when he serves second serves and it is a tight situation. He is quite successful, one has to admit, but by definition that is about a 60% chance of success. I wonder if he gets nervous or it is the opposite, that he is relaxed and really trusts his serve, but I think it is odd because it is not a power second serve, it is a first.
I would side with believing he is confident, but really can't tell.
Yeah, he goes for another first serve, as you said, not just a better-than-average 2nd, and he makes it quite often. It's a good tactic. I think he does that when he's tired, to keep points short. He famously did it in the summer of 2019, when he was on that incredible run of 6 finals - against Djokovic in the Cincy semis, that's the first time I remember hearing about him going for first serves on second serves, and he did it a ton. And I bet he was tired in that third set, after so many matches that summer. He was definitely getting tired yesterday against Humbert.

Anyway, I wouldn't pick Humbert to beat Meddy in B5 in Australia, but I still think it was an impressive showing by Humbert. He was sensational. He dictated play. He fought back from a break down in the second and third sets. Meddy was up a set and 3-1 and Humbert didn't fold. I also just thoroughly enjoyed the match, whether Meddy was trying his hardest or not. :) But I think he was giving a pretty full effort.

The one criticism I have of Humbert is that he consistently served out wide in the ad side - he's a lefty - and never followed it in to serve and volley. Meddy was always waaaaay off the court to return those serves. But Humbert would usually put the +1 ball away, so maybe he just liked his chances better to end the point into the open court. Maybe he didn't want to give Medvedev a target at the net since he's got great passing shots. And it worked. But I'd like to see Humbert follow that serve in against other players.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:02 am ...

The one criticism I have of Humbert is that he consistently served out wide in the ad side - he's a lefty - and never followed it in to serve and volley. Meddy was always waaaaay off the court to return those serves. But Humbert would usually put the +1 ball away, so maybe he just liked his chances better to end the point into the open court. Maybe he didn't want to give Medvedev a target at the net since he's got great passing shots. And it worked. But I'd like to see Humbert follow that serve in against other players.
I truly believe that players no longer know how to serve and volley. Time your serve so your initial jump pushes you forward, the quick initial two/three long steps and then, maybe, one short one and the split, then lunge one way or another putting your weight behind the volley. Plus I am not sure if they serve with a continental grip or a flat forehand (Medvedev serves with, like everything in his game, a weird grip for the serve).
It is truly a lost art.
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

I'm wondering why Italians went with Sinner-Berretini for the doubles. Russians did not have a real choice, while Italians have a potent doubles team. And that team would've been fresh. Could it be that Matteo wanted revenge after the close loss?
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I had to quit right before the doubles match, but indeed I felt that they made the wrong choice. I would have even gone with Fabio, who has been successful in doubles, just to change the look.
---0---
Different comment. it seems that the players are taking this tournament very seriously. Medvedev certainly is, as he is playing everything. Maybe the idea that it would not succeed were too premature.
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

Beside the love for the country, which is real but not quantifiable, this Cup gives noticeable ranking points. While Davis Cup does not...
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

mick1303 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:55 pm Beside the love for the country, which is real but not quantifiable, this Cup gives noticeable ranking points. While Davis Cup does not...
In my head this is an exhibition with no points involved. I'm sorry everyone. Thanks Mick.

Friday, January 07, 2022 Day 7

SYDNEY

ESP 0 – 0 POL

Ken Rosewall Arena Starts At 5:30 Pm
SF
Pablo Carreno Busta VS Kamil Majchrzak
Not Before 19:00
SF
Roberto Bautista Agut VS Hubert Hurkacz
Followed By / Subject To Change
SF
Alejandro Davidovich Fokina/Pedro Martinez VS Szymon Walkow/Jan Zielinski
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

mick1303 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:55 pm Beside the love for the country, which is real but not quantifiable, this Cup gives noticeable ranking points. While Davis Cup does not...
The love of country was very present already in Davis Cup.
Providing ranking points is obviously part of the master plan to kill Davis Cup, of course. Not much question about that.
Somewhere, the bean counters determined that they could make significantly more money with the ATP Cup, which they could design from scratch to their own (surely self-serving) preferences.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Deuce wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:56 am
Providing ranking points is obviously part of the master plan to kill Davis Cup, of course. Not much question about that.
Somewhere, the bean counters determined that they could make significantly more money with the ATP Cup, which they could design from scratch to their own (surely self-serving) preferences.
There've been overflow crowds here so...

/s
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Saturday, January 08, 2022 Day 8

SYDNEY

CAN 0 – 0 RUS

Ken Rosewall Arena Starts At 1:00 Pm
SF
Denis Shapovalov VS Roman Safiullin
Followed By
SF
Felix Auger-Aliassime VS Daniil Medvedev
Followed By / Subject To Change
SF
Felix Auger-Aliassime/Denis Shapovalov VS Daniil Medvedev/Roman Safiullin
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ti-amie wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:52 pm
Deuce wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:56 am
There've been overflow crowds here so...

/s
Yeah - the seats look almost half full for the semis - they must be doing a good job of selling it (or giving tickets away for free)...
During the first week, the seats were about 7% occupied.

But don't worry, they'll eradicate the Davis Cup, and they'll come up with more gimmicks to sell this thing in the coming years - and will end up making money from it, which is the main purpose.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

My country CANADA won the ATP Cup - the greatest team competition in the history of sport!!

Ok... I still think the ATP Cup is a crock. And several teams didn't have their best players playing. But it is nice to see Canada win it - to see Denis and Felix, who are close friends, and who grew up on the court together as kids dreaming of winning on the big stage... it’s nice that they get to share this with each other.
Sometimes it’s hard to believe that little Felix, whom I used to see on the court as a youngster, is among the 10 best players in the world now. Happy for him. He’s going to be a great ambassador for the game.
R.I.P. Amal...

mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

My sincere congratulations on the ATP Cup win to all Canadians. I was rooting for Medvedev, but you can't win them all (meaning team events). FAA and Denis are cool blokes )

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »