2022 Predictions (NOT THE CONTEST!)

Our main board to talk about our sport
Deuce Canada

Re: 2022 Predictions (NOT THE CONTEST!)

Post by Deuce »

ashkor87 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:05 am An even more futuristic look- how many majors will they win over their entire career?

Alcaraz - 5
^ That's 3 or 4 too many.
I'd give a couple of those 3 or 4 to the other kid - Musetti.
ashkor87 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:05 am Raducanu- 3
Sabalenka - 2
Leylah - 2
^ As much as I like Leylah and Emma, I don't see any more Majors for either one. The combined total at the end of their careers will be 1, I believe.

Sabalenka is an enigma. She could win as many as 5 or 6 Majors.
Or as few as zero.
The physical potential is there to be rather dominant. But as strong and as talented as she is physically, it is all cancelled out by her tremendous psychological weakness.
It all depends on whether she can get finally her head together.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Not due to talent but that Osaka number seems optimistic.
:steven:
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Thanks! I do think Sabalenka is too good not to win a couple .and Leylah could even win Wimbledon this year or the next .
This is, of course, just a way to quantify up-side..I think Alcaraz has a huge upside
So does Sinner, of course , he will win a couple but, like Raducanu he needs a fast surface, of which there are very very few..Alcaraz seems more versatile.
Coco gauff? I don't think she will win any .same for Sakkari and Badosa and Bencic..Krejcikova might won another...Anisimova will win one sooner or later..?
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

as for Osaka, she is only half-way through her career and she already has more than anyone not named Williams.. to my mind, she is the only player who can dominate the game like Serena did - when we look back on her career, I truly believe we will think of her as a GREAT, in the same breath as Venus, Seles and Hingis at least, if not Serena..
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Djokovic - 24
Nadal - 22
Fed - 20
Medvedev - 5
Zverev - 5
Thiem - 1 indeed.
FAA - 2
Alcaraz - 3 (all RG's)

Barty - 6, sounds about right
Osaka - 6. I think part of her new mental outlook is to take tennis a bit easier. That usually spells a drop, but she is too good on hards.
Serena - 23
Raducanu - 3
Sabalenka - 3
Leylah - 0
Rybakina - 0
Ostapenko - 2
Swiatek - 3 (all G's)

I don't know how many players will win only 1. But at least 5 during this decade.
Coco Gauff zero? I really don't see her retiring without a slam. Look at her progress: slow and methodic, and she keeps rising. Plus, she has one quality that she shares with Serena, Steffi and Evert: she hates to lose. You can see her when she does, how dejected she gets. That is usually a very good sign. Players like that are willing to train a bit harder.
By the end of their careers, NONE of the players of this generation will be a GREAT in the same sense of Martina I, Steffi, Serena or Evert. To get there, you need at least 10 slams, and that will not happen. Not with this parity.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Djokovic is done winning Slams, I think. Osaka will end up with more than Barty, otherwise difficult to say anything... The rest is more what I'd like to see not necessarily what I expect.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Allowing for him playing at W this year: who do you see beating him there?
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:37 pm Allowing for him playing at W this year: who do you see beating him there?
One of the younger guys. He'll be 35 by the time that tournament comes around. Nadal just showed that winning at that age still possible, but I still think it's a very rare exception instead of a norm.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I'll put you on for that answer. Of course it has to be one of the younger guys. He will be 35, as you say! Unless Roger, Rafa or Feliciano beat him, it will have to be somebody younger ;)
He is not a regular 35 and he still has the most compact footwork of the game, barring a reincarnation by Roger. I gather that we will see this week in Dubai how well he is playing, but that is the slam where I see him with the best chance. Medvedev's far back return will be a challenge there, Zverev could do it but hasn't, Rafa will not be a factor at W, also due to his court positioning.
Shapo? He made the semis last year. I wonder if he can volley well enough, though.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:03 pm I'll put you on for that answer. Of course it has to be one of the younger guys. He will be 35, as you say! Unless Roger, Rafa or Feliciano beat him, it will have to be somebody younger ;)
:D

To clarify I meant guys at least a decade younger than him.
patrick United States of America

Post by patrick »

Think Raducanu is one and done.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

patrick wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:58 pm Think Raducanu is one and done.
^ Yes... I don't see how anyone can think otherwise.
Firstly, it's such a small sample size - she has played very few tournaments at this level. Secondly, she won the U.S. Open during an unstable time in women's tennis - with COVID mixing a lot of things up, as well as a new order establishing itself in the game, with some of the older players on their way down and younger players on their way up. Thirdly, Emma hasn't been noticeable in other tournaments, with early round losses.

I simply fail to see any signs that she's a potential multi Major winner.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Deuce wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:20 am I'd give a couple of those 3 or 4 to the other kid - Musetti.
must say I havent really seen Musetti, must check him out
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Suliso wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:33 pm Djokovic is done winning Slams, I think. Osaka will end up with more than Barty, otherwise difficult to say anything... The rest is more what I'd like to see not necessarily what I expect.
If Nadal's win at the AusOpen taught us anything, it is that the NextGen (Zverev, Medvedev et al) arent yet good enough to topple the Kings of tennis - Djokovic still has a couple years to go, at least, so why wont he win a coupl more majors?

Vaccination rules will not apply in France (by the time RG starts) and W, by the time the USO rolls around, I expect the US would have relaxed them too, if only because there is a mid-term coming and Dems cannot afford to rile people up more than they already have!
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

I know everyone here is seeing parity in the WTA but I think that is mistaken..over the next 3-5 years, I expect Osaka and Barty to rule, rather like Federer and Nadal did earlier..their reign has just begun but if we cut the clutter, it seems clear they are head-and-shoulders above the field, in sheer ability and accomplishment...