'22 AO Day 1 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
meganfernandez United States of America

Re: '22 AO Day 1 OoP & Discussion

Post by meganfernandez »

jazzyg wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:59 pm Megan,

Great minds think alike ... and so do ours. We were two of the three people who picked Opelka over Anderson in the suicide pool.
Nice!!! And shew! :) Opelka's better than I thought, I guess. Several others I was considering lost, namely Harris and Fucsovics. Who'd you take for Day 2? I took Grigor.
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:29 pm

Great minds think alike ... and so do ours. We were two of the three people who picked Opelka over Anderson in the suicide pool.
Nice!!! And shew! :) Opelka's better than I thought, I guess. Several others I was considering lost, namely Harris and Fucsovics. Who'd you take for Day 2? I took Grigor.
Have not made my pick. I would have picked Harris yesterday if i had not had time to do research. That was my initial thought, but when I looked at his lack of recent results and his opponent's good recent results, I stayed away. Had a harder time making a first-day pick than any pool I can remember. Every match I considered made me nervous when I looked at recent results.

I won't do it because it never works to try to be the smartest person in the room, but one reason I picked Opelka was I expect him to lose his next match. He has played eight sets against Koepfer at tour-level events and lost them all, including two slams, and only reached two tiebreaks. Koepfer has an elite return of serve and puts Opelka in a trance with his variety. But if I picked Koepfer, that would be the day Opelka served 30 aces and won in straights.

Post by meganfernandez »

jazzyg wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:50 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:29 pm

Have not made my pick. I would have picked Harris yesterday if i had not had time to do research. That was my initial thought, but when I looked at his lack of recent results and his opponent's good recent results, I stayed away. Had a harder time making a first-day pick than any pool I can remember. Every match I considered made me nervous when I looked at recent results.

I won't do it because it never works to try to be the smartest person in the room, but one reason I picked Opelka was I expect him to lose his next match. He has played eight sets against Koepfer at tour-level events and lost them all, including two slams, and only reached two tiebreaks. Koepfer has an elite return of serve and puts Opelka in a trance with his variety. But if I picked Koepfer, that would be the day Opelka served 30 aces and won in straights.
That in some impressive analysis! I often look at the section to see if this is the last "good/safe" time to pick someone, knowing their next match or two would be a toss-up before they would face a top seed. I don't look at H2H anymore or many recent results. I usually pick people who have been playing well and have a favorable matchup. Anderson won Newport last year but nothing came easy for him at the US Open, and I know Opelka is more than a serve, so I just took a gamble. I'm impressed with your analysis of Koepfer vs Opelka regarding return and variety. I'd never have picked up on those things. I wish I could read the game that well. I didn't enter the women's SP because it opened up later than the men's and I forgot. So all my hopes are on the men.

Post by jazzyg »

Only reason I know that is I have written multiple stories on Koepfer since he attended Tulane, the school I cover as a journalist. He is the only player on either tour whom I know personally.

Post by meganfernandez »

jazzyg wrote:Only reason I know that is I have written multiple stories on Koepfer since he attended Tulane, the school I cover as a journalist. He is the only player on either tour whom I know personally.
Who do you write for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:44 pm It wasn't. Coco tried to hit THROUGH Wang, with lots of power, and Wang was able to use it to her advantage. Lots of points were rallies in which they were both blasting balls until eventually one would hit out. Coco did most of the last.
Yes..perhaps Coco simply isn't good enough yet...needs to learn a few other dimensions of the game...
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I was surprised to see Cori lost but she was struggling a bit at the tournaments she finished prior to the start of the AO. She's been on the tour for a long time but she's still only 17. It may be a blessing that she hasn't won anything big yet so she'll keep working on improving her game.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by jazzyg »

meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:55 pm
jazzyg wrote:Only reason I know that is I have written multiple stories on Koepfer since he attended Tulane, the school I cover as a journalist. He is the only player on either tour whom I know personally.
Who do you write for?

Nola.com/Times-Picayune in New Orleans.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

ti-amie wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:25 am I was surprised to see Cori lost but she was struggling a bit at the tournaments she finished prior to the start of the AO. She's been on the tour for a long time but she's still only 17. It may be a blessing that she hasn't won anything big yet so she'll keep working on improving her game.
Just hope she doesn't get lapped...! These slow and steady types do, sometimes

Post by meganfernandez »

jazzyg wrote:
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:55 pm
Who do you write for?

Nola.com/Times-Picayune in New Orleans.
I think I knew that. We have talked about this before, right? Are you a sports writer, news, features, editor…?

Post by jazzyg »

Sports writer.