'22 AO On US TV

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

'22 AO On US TV

Post by ti-amie »

2022 Week 3-4
Ready..(now more than ever)...Play?!?

It has been an eventful week in the tennis world to say the least. While the off-court news may seem overwhelming, the show must go on, and the first slam of the year is set to kick off Sunday evening! As always, the down under time zone can be a challenging one with matches starting in the evening here in the US and lasting all the way through the night.

Coverage this year will look slightly different from what we typically have. Instead of Tennis Channel airing the first match of the day as they had in previous years, ESPN+ will now be the home of those matches. ESPN/ESPN 2 will then pick up coverage in prime time each night, matches will then switch back over to ESPN+ during the late night/early morning hours. As a reminder, you can subscribe to ESPN+ for 6.99/month and if you are looking to catch as much tennis as possible it will be worth the investment. Direct TV subscribers will also have access to the Direct TV mix channels which will have a sampling of courts to watch as well.

If you can’t catch the action live, you will have two replay options this year as both Tennis Channel and ESPN 2 will air replays the following day. ABC will also air a highlight/recap show each weekend. Speaking of Tennis Channel, they will have a live preview show each evening as well to get your prepped for the nights draw.

You can check out the full guide below. Get your coffee brewing, and snacks on the ready as we have two weeks of major tennis ahead of us!

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
New England Nitemare United States of America

Re: '22 AO On US TV

Post by New England Nitemare »

Wow, I just noticed that ESPN/ESPN2 has really cut back on their coverage this year. I just ordered ESPN+.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

New England Nitemare wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:35 am Wow, I just noticed that ESPN/ESPN2 has really cut back on their coverage this year. I just ordered ESPN+.
Yeah, clearly I'm not watching any tennis just yet, but seeing the coverage on TV end at 11pm ET tonight is quite the cutback. I guess this is what happens when the new heads aren't the biggest tennis fans and they just want more ESPN+ subscribers.

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:07 pm As a reminder, you can subscribe to ESPN+ for 6.99/month and if you are looking to catch as much tennis as possible it will be worth the investment.
Also, especially for those that don't have or refuse to sign up for a month of ESPN+.* If you have a TV or internet provider of any kind, you very likely have access to the ESPN3 courts. Sometimes you have to log in on your provider especially on your phone or streaming device, but on your computer in particular, it'll likely just play based on your internet provider on its own (you can very likely see a logo in the upper right corner of the provider that is giving you access to ESPN3). My quick check of the ESPN App tells me that right now, there are 6 courts that are ESPN3, so a nice amount, just not necessarily the matches you most want to see.

*I've said this before, but I recommend getting ESPN+. I do mine thru the Google Play store, and you can easily cancel early and still have access the rest of the month if one of your concerns is about not remembering to do that in time. It works the same on Apple.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

It is the way of the future. Pretty soon, for you to watch sports you will need 10 streaming channels. That simple.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by JazzNU »

No, not here at least, not for sports. But you definitely might need a few.

Re: ESPN Coverage - Here's the thing that I think gets missed for tennis fans - this isn't tennis specific at all, not this time. They've done the same thing to most of their coverage unless it's NFL, NBA, or College Football. It's a concerted strategy to increase subscriptions, and it's been working.

Worth noting that although some tennis fans are surely pissed about this, there are quite a few younger tennis fans who will be very happy with it. They don't have access to ESPN/ESPN2 as cord cutters and are angry every single time they aren't given something traditional cable subscribers are given.

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:03 am
Thank goodness there are some reasonable replies like this one. There are many others questioning why tennis isn't on over a second broadcast of the game. There are tennis fans that think Australian Open is doing ManningCast numbers?

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

In ESPN's defense (which I know, you can't). They were bought by Disney, and Disney dictates that they start moving everything to platforms. Pretty soon, ESPN will become some sort of HBO. Everything will be paid.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by JazzNU »

It's clear that ESPN's messaging on the differences between ESPN+ and ESPN3 has really disappeared since Plus emerged and it's really very problematic for how people view their brand.

I had a back and forth with a guy yesterday claiming that the previous way, putting everything on ESPN+ was so much better for the viewer. I replied, it had never been that way. He said it was, etc. I eventually gave him a suggestion to check to see if he could do two logins because that might give him full access. He replied back several minutes later thanking me for the suggestion. Apparently, he was watching thru Hulu Live and they weren't giving the same access to all the courts that he got thru the ESPN App. I'm guessing this could be an issue with just about every streaming service that replaces cable.

It's definitely a mess. But a good deal of the people are pissed because they think they've got nothing unless they pay extra and they already pay for cable, it would help ESPN greatly if they returned to their ESPN 3 messaging every once in a while. People really don't seem to grasp the difference and just assume there must be an extra charge for everything.

Post by JazzNU »

For DirecTV subscribers -Has anyone else noticed that the Mix channel is missing numbered Channels in the corners so you know which channel to turn to watch if you don't want to choose by selecting the screen? Like right now, can you see the channel to turn to in order to watch Sorribes Tormo vs. Kostyuk or Martincova vs. Giorgi? Because I can't. I've done this long enough to know how to get the count right once I look closely (though I still turn to the 700s by accident occasionally), but it's strange and I'm not sure whose bright idea this was, but it's a bust imo.

Post by JazzNU »

JazzNU wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:35 am For DirecTV subscribers -Has anyone else noticed that the Mix channel is missing numbered Channels in the corners so you know which channel to turn to watch if you don't want to choose by selecting the screen? Like right now, can you see the channel to turn to in order to watch Sorribes Tormo vs. Kostyuk or Martincova vs. Giorgi? Because I can't. I've done this long enough to know how to get the count right once I look closely (though I still turn to the 700s by accident occasionally), but it's strange and I'm not sure whose bright idea this was, but it's a bust imo.
Better late than never I guess, the numbers on the Mix Channel have returned. Can't tell if it was a mistake or they got enough complaints to reverse course. Two whole days of easily knowing which channel to turn to.