'22 AO Day 2 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
Deuce Canada

Re: '22 AO Day 2 OoP & Discussion

Post by Deuce »

Felix came from behind to win the 1st set vs. Ruusuvuori... but he's giving the 2nd set away (0-4)...
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Sherif takes the second set from Watson 7-5 after a game (#11) lasted about 20m.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Rybakina got real lucky to force that to a 3rd set. Probably should've lost it in 2 after she failed to break Diyas' serve with three break points at 0-40 that would've given Elena a chance to serve for the 2nd set.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Just switched on my laptop early in the morning (working from home)... Some mildly surprising results, particularly Fernandez losing, but nothing completely shocking. Rybakina escaped. Her losing to Diyas would have been a surprise of the day for me.
meganfernandez United States of America

'22 AO Day 2 OoP & Discussion

Post by meganfernandez »

Suliso wrote:Just switched on my laptop early in the morning (working from home)... Some mildly surprising results, particularly Fernandez losing, but nothing completely shocking. Rybakina escaped. Her losing to Diyas would have been a surprise of the day for me.
Rybakina got some treatment on her knee midmatch. Didn’t look 100% but who knows. She saved match point, played a dominating TB and didn’t look back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post by JazzNU »

meganfernandez wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:33 am Rybakina got some treatment on her knee midmatch. Didn’t look 100% but who knows. She saved match point, played a dominating TB and didn’t look back.
I think there was actual discomfort, but she favored the one leg the most in the 2nd set the when she was down. She didn't seem to have nearly as many issues with it when she wasn't angry about missing her shots. And she got treatment at critical points. Maybe she had problems with her knee later in the 3rd, I had turned to another match after it seemed safe for her, but her main issue during the match was blisters on her foot, not her knee.

Post by JazzNU »

Great win for Ana Konjuh.

Less than surprising loss for Shelby Rogers, though she definitely battled hard. I personally don't think it's that bad of a loss, but definitely one she should've won on paper.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

JazzNU wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:12 am Great win for Ana Konjuh.

Less than surprising loss for Shelby Rogers, though she definitely battled hard. I personally don't think it's that bad of a loss, but definitely one she should've won on paper.
Happy for Ana. She has had a difficult time with injuries and adapting to early success on tour.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Serve and Volleyer Maxime Cressy impressively beat Isner in 5 (3 tiebreaks). a little surprising, as you'd usually go with the veteran when it goes 5.
See more information on Cressy in the 'Tennis Random' thread here...
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=43&p=38145#p38145

Felix came from 2 sets to 1 down to beat Ruusuvuori, also in 5. When Felix came from behind to win the 1st set, I figured this one would likely go 5. Felix had to overcome... himself to win it.

Sabalenka looked like she was well on her way to blowing another match, losing the 1st set to Storm Sanders amid a bunch of double faults and other unforced errors and appearing lost and confused and frustrated as she so often does. The 2nd set was more of the same, with Sabalenka beating herself... until Sanders decided that she wasn't going to let Sabalenka have all the fun - she was going to start beating HERself, as well.
Sanders couldn't handle the mere thought of beating Sabalenka, and so she has made sure that wasn't going to happen. At 3-3 in the 2nd, Sanders gave the rest of the set to Sabalenka on a silver platter.
As I write this, Sanders still can't hit a shot, and Sabalenka is up 4-0 in the 3rd.
A high quality match, this has not been.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Whew...Saba woke up in time....it will do her good..
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

I doubt it will do her much good if Deuce's assessment of how it was achieved is true...
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Kanepi beating Kerber is a good example of how power pays off on a slow surface..Kerber cannot generate her own pace..do you think it is a coincidence that she has never done much at Roland Garros?
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

A 6-0, 17 minute 1st set for Raducanu over Stephens is exactly what Emma needed for her confidence.
I hope the 2nd set is more competitive - because if she wins that easily, as well, she might think that she didn't have to do anything to win. In order for her to come out of this match with more confidence, Stephens will have to provide some degree of competition.
R.I.P. Amal...

Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Is there something with Raducanu which makes her play better at Slams?
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Suliso wrote:Is there something with Raducanu which makes her play better at Slams?
Who knows. Pretty small sample size right now. Maybe she feeds off the excitement. There were a lot of good rallies in the half I saw (last half). She played her heart out. Good win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by meganfernandez on Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.