by ti-amie Is this our first entry of the year? I looked and didn't see a thread for 2022 but if there is one I'll delete this one and post the Tweet there. It's late and I just watched Heather Watson fight for almost 20m before losing a game to Mayer Sherif. I'm tired.

by ponchi101 Nope, there is no other topic for this year. Good that you started it.
And that is a good entry. Solid wind up, proper destruction of the racquet, disposal is effective at the end. Yep, good enough for me :clap:

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:01 pm Nope, there is no other topic for this year. Good that you started it.
And that is a good entry. Solid wind up, proper destruction of the racquet, disposal is effective at the end. Yep, good enough for me :clap:
and it gives me a reason to remember Roberto Carballes. I did like the disposal. Properly disgusted fling.

by ti-amie One of the worst ever?

by ponchi101 Shameful. Does not even qualify as racquet throwing. That is, at best, racquet dropping. Not worthy of being called a smash.

by JazzNU I've seen worse. But I always think it's funny when it basically ricochets back at them. Instead of blowing off steam, it typically makes them more frustrated.

by Deuce Kyrgios had a decent one while walking to his chair/bench on a changeover last night vs. Medvedev, if anyone wants to look for it.
I think it was in the last set.

by ti-amie
Deuce wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:50 am Kyrgios had a decent one while walking to his chair/bench on a changeover last night vs. Medvedev, if anyone wants to look for it.
I saw it but haven't seen a clip of it anywhere. It was pretty good.

by meganfernandez
ti-amie wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:31 am
Deuce wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:50 am Kyrgios had a decent one while walking to his chair/bench on a changeover last night vs. Medvedev, if anyone wants to look for it.
I saw it but haven't seen a clip of it anywhere. It was pretty good.
It cost him a point because he had earlier warnings. He started his next service game (last game of the match) down 0-15. It was a decent smash, but not worth losing a point. If it had been a masterpiece, okay. :)

by meganfernandez
ti-amie wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:17 am One of the worst ever?

she didn't commit. She second-guessed before it left her hand. Amateur.

by skatingfan Zverev making a strong entry just now after dropping serve in the 2nd set against Shapovalov.

by meganfernandez Zverev just took the lead... video to come. This thing was mangled... Pure revulsion and searing rage. Went down a set and a break, after fighting off one or two break points in that game and getting to deuce. The commentator was even admiring on the slow-mo replay.

First photo

by JazzNU Here you go

by ponchi101 Oh, yes. The vibrator dampener comes off beautifully, it cracks instantly upon entry, he is truly disgusted at the universe.
Solid entry. Fitting that he did to a racquet named GRAVITY. It was crushed.

by JazzNU We're apparently never allowed to enjoy a smash from Sascha ever again in life. Sigh

by JazzNU Entry from the brat

by MJ2004 Bonus or negative brat points for smashing after losing match point?

by ti-amie
JazzNU wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:30 pm We're apparently never allowed to enjoy a smash from Sascha ever again in life. Sigh
It's interesting what gets censored and what doesn't isn't it? For instance you rarely if ever see a smash from a WTA player unless a fan manages to get it by the WTA. It looks like that may be happening with Zverev for reasons that may relate to things outside of tennis.

by ponchi101
MJ2004 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:34 pm Bonus or negative brat points for smashing after losing match point?
Bonus points. It shows complete disresgard for the most basic rules of the sport, it shows a definite ignorance of the rich history, it is something that would make Colonel Nick Powell revolve in his grave. It shows that certain "everything is about me!" character that defines, perhaps, the next great villain in the magestic lore of our sport.
Guga did it after losing to Sampras at Miami. That Shapo smashes a racquet after match point, and after saying, to all of the possible people, to Carlos Bernardes that HE is showing favoritism towards Nadal says so much.
Next stop: he gets coaches by Nastase. The only move left.

by ti-amie
MJ2004 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:34 pm Bonus or negative brat points for smashing after losing match point?
What form! He is totally disgusted with himself, the world and everyone in it.

I wouldn't give him bonus points for the brat factor though. He left it for the ball kid to pick up what he had destroyed.

Bernardes favoring Rafa. Read up on your recent tennis history sir.

by Deuce The best part about Denis's racquet smash was the ballgirl very coyly walking away with it afterward. Her co-worker - a ballboy - clearly asked her if she should really be doing that, and she just shrugged her shoulders while the expression on her face said "Yeah - what the hell - he obviously doesn't need it anymore, so it's mine."

by meganfernandez
Deuce wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:09 am The best part about Denis's racquet smash was the ballgirl very coyly walking away with it afterward. Her co-worker - a ballboy - clearly asked her if she should really be doing that, and she just shrugged her shoulders while the expression on her face said "Yeah - what the hell - he obviously doesn't need it anymore, so it's mine."
Legend

by atlpam
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:42 pm
Deuce wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:09 am The best part about Denis's racquet smash was the ballgirl very coyly walking away with it afterward. Her co-worker - a ballboy - clearly asked her if she should really be doing that, and she just shrugged her shoulders while the expression on her face said "Yeah - what the hell - he obviously doesn't need it anymore, so it's mine."
Legend

The shrug is priceless - good for her!

by ponchi101 There ought to be a rule. If a player smashes a racquet into oblivion, they MUST give the ballkid that retrieves it a signed, new one. Ok, she kept it, but it is useless (other than to tell a story).

by skatingfan
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:50 pm There ought to be a rule. If a player smashes a racquet into oblivion, they MUST give the ballkid that retrieves it a signed, new one. Ok, she kept it, but it is useless (other than to tell a story).
Depending on what happens with the rest of Shapovalov's career it could become a collector's item some day.

by ponchi101 Oh, sure. I should have been more specific and say that ON TOP OF THE SMASHED ONE, they should give them a new one. And I did say signed ;)

by meganfernandez Nothing special. Efficient but all the damage was done on the first smack. Sort of like Karatsev’s loss today - 62/67/67 with a bagel tiebreak. He had 2 match points at 5-3 then served for it at 5-4. Very sloppy.

However, does he change his grip before the last blow? Or just pause for the cause? At least he tried to adjust and didn’t give up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by ponchi101 I like the slo-mo rhythm. Don't know if it was the GIF or him, though

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote:I like the slo-mo rhythm. Don't know if it was the GIF or him, though
The GIF. He moved furiously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by ti-amie A good effort. I'm glad they slowed it down. He was disgusted with himself, everything and everybody.

by meganfernandez
ti-amie wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:07 pm A good effort. I'm glad they slowed it down. He was disgusted with himself, everything and everybody.
He also put his considerable lower-body strength into it.

by ti-amie Like Megan said what a poor effort from the #1 player. And Monfils cleaning up the mess.

by ponchi101 Like his strokes. Awkward, listless, something you really don't want to imitate.
Tennis deserves a better #1. We need somebody with some fire.