'22 AO Day 4 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
Deuce Canada

Re: '22 AO Day 4 OoP & Discussion

Post by Deuce »

No, nothing has changed - quick, big success at a young age - and the attention and expectations, etc. that come with it - has hurt more people than it has helped.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Deuce wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:06 am Nice win for one of the kids (Tauson).
It was rather decisive, too. And over a player who's been among the best in the past few months.

It would be nice to see her do well here. But not too well - not like Emma and Leylah a few months ago, as that kind of 'meteoric' success often does more harm than good in the long run.
Slow and steady wins the race.
like Serena? Hingis? Unless you think times have changed?
Deuce wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:19 am No, nothing has changed - quick, big success at a young age - and the attention and expectations, etc. that come with it - has hurt more people than it has helped.
I actually have the opposite concern about Gauff...she is progressing too slowly...she will be a regular in the top 10 but GOAT? That is her avowed goal...
I think the game has become too physical..and yes, the courts are also slowing down, young people just aren't strong enough ..
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

dmforever wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:45 am Anyone think Dmitri Tursunuv might be out of a job soon (like in 5 games)? ;)

Kevin
Not even a little bit. Think he's probably got about the best job security on tour thru the end of this year at least.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Cressy progressed today too.. great to see! More power to the volleyers of the world!
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

ashkor87 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:33 am
It was rather decisive, too. And over a player who's been among the best in the past few months.

It would be nice to see her do well here. But not too well - not like Emma and Leylah a few months ago, as that kind of 'meteoric' success often does more harm than good in the long run.
Deuce wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:19 am No, nothing has changed - quick, big success at a young age - and the attention and expectations, etc. that come with it - has hurt more people than it has helped.
I actually have the opposite concern about Gauff...she is progressing too slowly...she will be a regular in the top 10 but GOAT? That is her avowed goal...
I think the game has become too physical..and yes, the courts are also slowing down, young people just aren't strong enough ..
and let us not forget Osaka either - a meteor who is clearly a star now (mixed metaphor maybe..)- she rose from nowhere and shines steadily now. Coco should have won a major by now, still far from that level.
texasniteowl

Post by texasniteowl »

well, just getting back to this, but boy do I regret Muguruza on my skan team. she seemed to be in good form coming in but...yeah. 🤮
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ashkor87 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:18 am

and let us not forget Osaka either - a meteor who is clearly a star now (mixed metaphor maybe..)- she rose from nowhere and shines steadily now. Coco should have won a major by now, still far from that level.
Yes - it's precisely that kind of pressure and ridiculous expectation that these youngsters DON'T need.
She's 17 years old, man! Regardless of the fact that the pro tennis world has known about her for 3 years or so, her brain has still spent only 17 years on this planet.
Think of any other 17 year old you know - think of how mature and experienced they are - in any field. Think of how you were when you were 17. 'Experienced' and 'mature' are not words that people use to describe 17 year olds. They are just barely beginning to understand human behaviour and how the world works.

Not legally old enough to do many things - there's a reason for that. And 'should have won a Major by now'? Seriously??
Is any other 17 year old kid expected to possess the maturity, experience, comprehension, and development to be the best in his/her field - any field - at that age?

Cori is evolving just fine.

Last edited by Deuce on Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

texasniteowl wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:11 am well, just getting back to this, but boy do I regret Muguruza on my skan team. she seemed to be in good form coming in but...yeah. 🤮
You regret having Mugu? Take a guess who had Mugu AND Annet... :cry:
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

This is due to the foot injury that was apparent in her last match. Clearly more than the blister she was verbally complaining about.

dmforever

Post by dmforever »

JazzNU wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:54 am
dmforever wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:45 am Anyone think Dmitri Tursunuv might be out of a job soon (like in 5 games)? ;)

Kevin
Not even a little bit. Think he's probably got about the best job security on tour thru the end of this year at least.
I was a little premature tonight, but I don't have your confidence. But you probably have a more educated opinion. I hope you are right. :)

Kevin
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

Just a few thoughts...

1. I will really miss Sam Stosur. I know that she hasn't been playing her best tennis for years, but I always loved watching her play.

2. Sebastian Baez is really fun to watch. I'm very impressed. :)

Kevin
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

About Stosur. Overachiever, underachiever, or just about right? I don't think she makes it to the HOF if only singles are counted.
I agree with you. I really liked watching her play. The serve was a beauty.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Deuce wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:23 am
ashkor87 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:18 am

Yes - it's precisely that kind of pressure and ridiculous expectation that these youngsters DON'T need.
She's 17 years old, man! Regardless of the fact that the pro tennis world has known about her for 3 years or so, her brain has still spent only 17 years on this planet.
Think of any other 17 year old you know - think of how mature and experienced they are - in any field. Think of how you were when you were 17. 'Experienced' and 'mature' are not words that people use to describe 17 year olds. They are just barely beginning to understand human behaviour and how the world works.

Not legally old enough to do many things - there's a reason for that. And 'should have won a Major by now'? Seriously??
Is any other 17 year old kid expected to possess the maturity, experience, comprehension, and development be the best in his/her field - any field - at that age?

Cori is evolving just fine.

all these are matters for her parents and family to worry about.. I am only focused on the tennis. I dont know her personally, neither, I suspect, do most of the people on this planet so I wouldnt want to comment on all these things.
texasniteowl

Post by texasniteowl »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:57 am You regret having Mugu? Take a guess who had Mugu AND Annet... :cry:
🥂 you win!