'22 AO Day 4 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
Suliso Latvia

Re: '22 AO Day 4 OoP & Discussion

Post by Suliso »

I've been praising Tauson for some time now. Only a bit annoyed that her big breakthrough had to be against Kontaveit whom I like too...
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

texasniteowl wrote:and now Tauson is back on top, serving for the match at 5-4.

And Cornet is up a break in the 2nd too!
Kontaveit handed it to Tauson in the last game with errors. Nice result for Clara.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Two of my faves going down in one day always sucks. Oh well.
martini4me Canada

Post by martini4me »

Suliso wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:35 am I've been praising Tauson for some time now. Only a bit annoyed that her big breakthrough had to be against Kontaveit whom I like too...
100% agree.

Muguruza had eight unforced errors (including her first two double faults of the set) to throw away the last two games of the match. One ball was about 10 feet wide.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Even more surprised about Muguruza losing so lamely. I thought she was among title favorites...

Post by meganfernandez »

Suliso wrote:Even more surprised about Muguruza losing so lamely. I thought she was among title favorites...
People always pick her but she is so streaky. When she’s off, she does not win. Today she didn’t seem focused at all. Wonder if Cornet is in her head or what.

Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Nice win for one of the kids (Tauson).
It was rather decisive, too. And over a player who's been among the best in the past few months.

It would be nice to see her do well here. But not too well - not like Emma and Leylah a few months ago, as that kind of 'meteoric' success often does more harm than good in the long run.
Slow and steady wins the race.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Oh dear. Sabalenka has 9 double faults in 2 service games to start the match...

Post by meganfernandez »

Sabalenka has double-faulted 9 times I. Her first 2 service games. Down 0-3. Maybe this is why ESPN2 keeps pushing back the air time. Was 9, then 9:08, then 9:15, now 9:25…

martini4me Canada

Post by martini4me »

It took eight minutes for Sabalenka to get broken in the first game of the match, much more quickly in her second service game. They showed a stat on the screen: she's had 117 second serve points this year, and faulted on 57 of them. Almost 50%!! And that was before at least two more double faults. She's looking predictably anguished on court.
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

*Last year, John and I saw Tauson beat Raducanu in what was the lowest-level of the 3 Chicago tennis tournaments. We were really impressed with both- most especially Tauson- who at that time I recognized had a ton potenntial. OF course, at that time, as I so often do, I said to John (AKA baby nelslus), "WELL, we certainly aren't seeing the US Open finalists with THIS match." :shock: (....I mean, every other time when I've been snotty this way, I've been right. So there.) It was already so stunning to actually then SEE Raducanu win the US Open. And, it's be amazing to see Tauson win a Slam title (or multiple Slam titles.) Very much looking forward to seeing both of them with their careers.

*Monfils winning this or any Slam IMO would be an abomination. So incredibly talented, and such a clown. I never have and never will sign up for his "WOW, did you see THAT shot" crap. GO away.

*I've said it before, and I'll say it again: While of course Kvitova and Muguruza have won great championships- IMO, for this era, they will both end up as the biggest disappointments career-wise. AND I hope this won't come off as cruel concerning Kvitova, with all she has been through- and I remain a fan of hers. But, before that horrendous incident, her career had started slipping. Very ironically, she came back swinging- but just could not win another Big Title- similar to Monica, albeit at least Monica got an Aussie title after her horrendous incident. IN any case, IMO, Kvitova and Muguruza will end up being the biggest disappointments among the champion players of this era. They both have always had such amazing skills, abilities and power. They could have ruled over the tour- but just could not figure out how to do this, and perhaps get the best team to maximize their potentials. I mean, hell- LOL, maybe they're better-rounded, healthier and happier than the likes of Navratilova, Evert, Graf, etc.? Still as a selfish tennis fan- it's been disappointing for me.
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

And Mark Philippoussis and Cliff Drysdale thought the problem with Sabalenka's serve was technical?? :roll:
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

Anyone think Dmitri Tursunuv might be out of a job soon (like in 5 games)? ;)

Kevin
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

The Tiafoe/Fritz match will end somewhere around 5 a.m. I'm just not sure which U.S. time zone.

EDIT: Okay. Maybe not. A lot has changed since the middle of the first set.
Last edited by dryrunguy on Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Deuce wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:06 am Nice win for one of the kids (Tauson).
It was rather decisive, too. And over a player who's been among the best in the past few months.

It would be nice to see her do well here. But not too well - not like Emma and Leylah a few months ago, as that kind of 'meteoric' success often does more harm than good in the long run.
Slow and steady wins the race.
like Serena? Hingis? Unless you think times have changed?