'22 AO Day 4 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
Deuce Canada

Re: '22 AO Day 4 OoP & Discussion

Post by Deuce »

ashkor87 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:52 am
Deuce wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:23 am
ashkor87 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:18 am
and let us not forget Osaka either - a meteor who is clearly a star now (mixed metaphor maybe..)- she rose from nowhere and shines steadily now. Coco should have won a major by now, still far from that level.
Yes - it's precisely that kind of pressure and ridiculous expectation that these youngsters DON'T need.
She's 17 years old, man! Regardless of the fact that the pro tennis world has known about her for 3 years or so, her brain has still spent only 17 years on this planet.
Think of any other 17 year old you know - think of how mature and experienced they are - in any field. Think of how you were when you were 17. 'Experienced' and 'mature' are not words that people use to describe 17 year olds. They are just barely beginning to understand human behaviour and how the world works.

Not legally old enough to do many things - there's a reason for that. And 'should have won a Major by now'? Seriously??
Is any other 17 year old kid expected to possess the maturity, experience, comprehension, and development be the best in his/her field - any field - at that age?

Cori is evolving just fine.

all these are matters for her parents and family to worry about.. I am only focused on the tennis. I dont know her personally, neither, I suspect, do most of the people on this planet so I wouldnt want to comment on all these things.
Do you really believe that her character, behaviour, personality, life experience, maturity, and comprehension are completely unattached to her tennis?
Like she is a completely different person on the court from the person she is in the rest of her life?

It's all intertwined. Her tennis does not exist in a protective bubble or in a vacuum - it is simply one element of her; of her life, and so she carries who she is - her personality, life experience, level of maturity, knowledge, comprehension, etc. onto the court with her - as everyone does.

These players exist beyond the tennis court. They are complete human beings, not just tennis robots. And it's the complete human being who takes the court - with their emotions, perspectives, levels of experience, maturity, understanding, etc.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Two interesting/exciting matches currently being played:
Benoit Paire is up 2 sets to 1 on Dimitrov, and was up 3-0 in the 4th - but Grigor is mounting a comeback. (6-4, 6-4, 6-7, 3-2)...

Felix and Davidovich look like they're going to play 5 tiebreak sets.
Right now, Felix is up 2 sets to 1, and on serve late in the 4th...

Meanwhile, Daniel took the 1st set 6-4 from Murray, just starting the 2nd.
Last edited by Deuce on Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:29 am About Stosur. Overachiever, underachiever, or just about right? I don't think she makes it to the HOF if only singles are counted.
I agree with you. I really liked watching her play. The serve was a beauty.
Maybe a slight underachiever in that she should have won the French. But maybe winning the US Open makes up for that. Anyway, I had forgotten that she's going to continue to play doubles for a few years, so I look forward to trying to catch her on the doubles court. :)

And I would say a big no on HoF. It's the Iva Majoli standard. :)

Kevin
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

dmforever wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:02 am
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:29 am About Stosur. Overachiever, underachiever, or just about right? I don't think she makes it to the HOF if only singles are counted.
Maybe a slight underachiever in that she should have won the French. But maybe winning the US Open makes up for that. Anyway, I had forgotten that she's going to continue to play doubles for a few years, so I look forward to trying to catch her on the doubles court. :)

Kevin
Co-sign. Sam could have won 1-2 Roland Garros titles. Still, the problem will always remain, when you have the likes of Chang and Sabatini in the HOF....still, love Sam, and I'll continue to watch her doubles- but she does not belong in the HOF.
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Raducanu has a blister or two on her right hand which is hindering her topspin forehand. She has adapted by hitting lots of slice forehands - many of them being successful drop shots, as, even when they're not outright winners, Kovinic is a fish out of water at the net.
Raducanu lost the 1st set, but has been the better player in the second set, where she was ahead by a break - but just gave the break back.

Emma is smiling throughout and looking like she's having a great time despite the pain. She's not only hanging in there and battling, but she may learn from this experience how effective it is to hit off pace shots and mix things up - and will hopefully use that in the future to tip the momentum in her favour when it's not.
Fun to watch.

Meanwhile, Medvedev won the 1st set tiebreak easily over Kyrgios, who, as per usual, seems to not be on the court to win, but is content to be merely competitive and put on a decent show.
One one changeover, Kyrgios 'stole' a towel from Medvedev's bench - when Medvedev was standing 3 feet away. Somewhat sadly, Daniil didn't even react to the theft.
R.I.P. Amal...

Liamvalid Great Britain

Post by Liamvalid »

That wasn’t a bad loss for Emma really, she played well considering the blisters, and she isn’t used to those high intensity 3 setters where you have to scrap for every point. Lots of positives for her to take away. Plus Kovinic played a lot better than I expected her to! Very entertaining match
Mary, queen of shots
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Liamvalid wrote:That wasn’t a bad loss for Emma really, she played well considering the blisters, and she isn’t used to those high intensity 3 setters where you have to scrap for every point. Lots of positives for her to take away. Plus Kovinic played a lot better than I expected her to! Very entertaining match
Agree from what little I saw. Emma competed well. The backhand was world-class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post by meganfernandez »

Medvedev and the crowd got into it a bit. They were booing or “sooing” between his first and second serves - probably a vocal minority of them. Then he gave them a classic Medvedev reaction right after match point. In interview on court, he chided them for the noise between his serves and for drowning out Jim Courier. He said, “Please, respect Courier, if you don’t respect anyone else at least Jim Courier. He won here.”

Kyrgios got a point penalty in the last game, for breaking a racket. Got earlier warnings for swearing. Started the game love-15. Ran out of gas, predictably.

Daniil played a thoroughly professional match, of course.

atlpam United States of America

Post by atlpam »

I heard a commentator say that Kyrgios may only play one more year. Doubt that will surprise anyone on this board.

Post by meganfernandez »

atlpam wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:35 pm I heard a commentator say that Kyrgios may only play one more year. Doubt that will surprise anyone on this board.
Yeah, there have been rumblings about that. Maybe this was his last AO. But who knows, he could sit out and come back in a few years with a different attitude. He'll turn 27 in a few months. Such a shame. Think this is the most untapped potential in tennis history?
Last edited by meganfernandez on Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by meganfernandez »

Gotta hand it to Sabalenka, toughing out another win with no serve. It has to be humiliating and intensely aggravating, but she's fighting though it. That's a competitor. A lot of heart.
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

nelslus wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:29 am

Kevin
Co-sign. Sam could have won 1-2 Roland Garros titles. Still, the problem will always remain, when you have the likes of Chang and Sabatini in the HOF....still, love Sam, and I'll continue to watch her doubles- but she does not belong in the HOF.
I didn't know Chang and Sabatini were in. I remember that Chang made it to another FO final, losing to Muster in 3, if I'm not mistaken. I don't remember if Gaby ever made it to another final. I don't think either of them should be in, but if they are, then Stosur getting in isn't so hard to accept.

Kevin

Post by meganfernandez »

dmforever wrote:

Kevin
I didn't know Chang and Sabatini were in. I remember that Chang made it to another FO final, losing to Muster in 3, if I'm not mistaken. I don't remember if Gaby ever made it to another final. I don't think either of them should be in, but if they are, then Stosur getting in isn't so hard to accept.

Kevin
Chang also made the Australian and US Open finals in 1996.

dmforever

Post by dmforever »

meganfernandez wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:24 pm
dmforever wrote:

Kevin
Chang also made the Australian and US Open finals in 1996.

Thanks. I just looked it up. I guessed beforehand that one of them was against Sampras. I was not a fan and I probably didn't even watch that final. :)
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

Comparing mens and ladies draws: Men started with 4 grand slam champions and kept 3 of them after 2 rounds. Ladies started with 14 and left with 7.