The World of Style & Entertainment

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
JazzNU United States of America

Re: The World of Style & Entertainment

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:03 pm I literally laughed out loud while at the hairdresser when I saw this. I shared the news and everyone got a good laugh. I mean really? Who lied to her and told her she could sing? It would make better sense for Marc Anthony to sing Whitney's hits. He can really sing.
I don't think Ashanti has the range either...
Where my mind went as well. IYKYK. She has close to the range though lacking in overall quality and depth, but enough to pull off a decent to good performance. And guess which songs she's performed publicly before? Pre-recorded vocals and lip synced Grammy appearance incoming. Potentially done by the no-name doing her more recent stuff, but those song choices are not a coincidence.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I admire J-Lo. She has got to be one of the most un-talented people ever, yet, there she is.
But, in her defense. Good luck finding somebody with Whitney's range. Not a fan of her (not my style) but that the girl had pipes, there is no question.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I see they finally took the tweet down. I was surprised it was up as long as it was.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

The Biden's are hosting their first State Dinner and it will be for French President Emmanuel Macron and his wife Brigitte. I won't bore you with the article because really who cares? Let's look at the pictures.

The Bidens’ first state dinner features butter-poached lobster with a side of hospitality
Kate Bennett
By Kate Bennett, CNN
Updated 9:47 AM EST, Thu December 1, 2022

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/01/politics ... index.html

US First Lady Jill Biden and White House Social Secretary Carlos Elizondo (back) look on as White House Executive Chef Cris Comerford (L) and White House Executive Pastry Chef Susie Morrison (R) present the menu during a media preview ahead of the State Dinner.

Butter-poached Maine lobster and calotte of beef, shallot marmalade, are seen at the White House during a media preview of the state dinner for French President Emmanuel Macron.

A table is set during a media preview ahead of the State Dinner in honor of French President Emmanuel Macron, in the State Dining Room of the White House in Washington, DC, on November 30, 2022.
For the State Dinner, the Bidens have opted to use rental dishes, glasses, flatware, table accoutrements and linens. The venue, though on the White House grounds, does not allow for the official White House china services to be used for the dinner, said White House social secretary Carlos Elizondo. White House curators, who oversee the use of all items in the White House collection, do not count the temporarily installed tent as part of the campus – and thus the china of presidents’ past will not be part of the service.

The overall design and the floral arrangements were put together by an event planner, Jung Lee, and her company, Fete, a posh party design outfit favored by celebrities.

A stage and dance floor will be erected in the tent for the evening’s entertainment from singer Jon Batiste, a New Orleans native, a city Jill Biden said Wednesday is “shaped by both French and American culture.” The Macrons will visit New Orleans after Washington, before returning to France.

The table setting is something the first lady has said is always her first consideration when hosting anyone for a meal, a memory from her childhood and her mother. “Even if we were only having fish sticks from the freezer, she always made our dinners feel special,” said Biden, who is expected to make remarks at the dinner.

“The first lady has been involved since the beginning, it’s been important to her that the dinner reflects the warmth and approachable hospitality that the Bidens are known for,” Valdivia said.

A person with knowledge of the first lady’s hands-on approach to the dinner said she was involved with all aspects of the planning, down to doing tastings of each dish and overseeing the seating chart, much like her immediate predecessor, Melania Trump, whose first state dinner also happened to be for the Macrons. Unlike the Trump dinner, the Bidens will serve caviar and butter-poached lobster for a first-course, Calotte of beef and watercress and sunchoke salad for the main. Trump went with goat cheese gateau with tomato jam, and a rack of lamb. Though the two dinners will share a dessert: crème fraiche ice cream.
A table is set during a media preview ahead of the State Dinner in honor of French President Emmanuel Macron, in the State Dining Room of the White House in Washington, DC, on November 30, 2022.
Biden is also not as inclined socially to host big events at the White House, Covid-19 restrictions or not. The first couple has notably spent most weekends away from Washington in Delaware or Camp David, and as a closely bonded family, there are few occasions where guest lists for dinners expand beyond relatives.

Previous presidents have used the White House frequently to entertain, typically with a subtext, whether political or cultural. In recent history, Barack and Michelle Obama hosted birthday parties and music concerts, bringing together celebrities and politicians for fun-filled, late nights of elbow-rubbing and bonding. The Obamas’ State Dinner for then-French President Francois Hollande in 2014 brought a star-studded guest list that included Bradley Cooper, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Stephen Colbert and Elon Musk.

Singer Mary J. Blige entertained at the dinner. By contrast, Trump’s two state dinners lacked bold-faced guests and headliners, as his political leanings were often antithetical from those of mainstream Hollywood. (For the Trump State Dinner for Macron, the Washington National Opera performed, which a guest told CNN was lovely, “but it wasn’t Beyonce.”)
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Hell of a blooper by CNN's reporter
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Wow!
I guess she is only missing the gloves... (can't find the emoji)
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Just an unspeakably bad error. Firing the stylist isn't enough to make this one right.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Best TV ending ever?
Was Tony reaching for his gun?
Did he see it was Meadow rushing in?
What role did the guy at the counter play in things?
MJ2004

Post by MJ2004 »

You missed the biggest question, which is did Tony die? The answer is obvious (yes, duh). Most likely by the guy in the Member's Only jacket stepping out of the bathroom. (David Chase didn't make any effort to hide it - it was super blatant, and yet ultimately, does it even matter who killed him?)

I've always been amazed how hotly the question of whether Tony is killed at the end of this scene has been been debated over the years, given how much it was foreshadowed throughout the entire series (they even spelled it out in exactly so many words in that scene in the boat in a previous episode).

And yes, to me it is the best ending ever for a TV show. I have a soft spot for the ending of MASH, but nothing beats this. Pure genius.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I never doubted that Tony was the target and that the hit on him was successful. I've always questioned why the family would've been included. The Italian mob was not known for taking out family members of its targets at that time.

As you say we can still debate this 15 years later and everyone have a different point of view. I started watching the series again and realize that I misunderstood Tony's relationship/manipulation of Dr Melfi. I'm busy watching K-dramas now but will hope to go back to The Soprano's after the New Year. I still have the final two episodes of Peaky Blinders to finish too.
MJ2004

Post by MJ2004 »

I don't see his family as being included in the hit. They were just present to witness it. Nothing to indicate the entire family was taken out, unless you choose to take that pov, which is pretty horrific.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

IF Tony shot at the door when Meadow barged in late behind two men Tony would see as suspicious I always thought that there would've been a shoot out of some kind that ended with his family being killed as well as Tony, the original target of Members Only guy who would've gone behind Tony to do the deed.

I've always thought the whole family was wiped out.