'22 AO Day 5 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
meganfernandez United States of America

Re: '22 AO Day 5 OoP & Discussion

Post by meganfernandez »

jazzyg wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:28 am Berettini is terminally underrated as a competitor.

He is one of the very best on tour.
I took this comment to mean his competitive spirit, not his pure ability or talent. Good observation.

Post by meganfernandez »

nelslus wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:41 am
ti-amie wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:27 am
NOW she truly has to prove that she will stick to this plan, day in and day out. She was going for too many impossible winners, and missed too many returns today.
Yeah, and I think that might be concentration. What a tiebreak. Her zone is just so small compared to others - I mean that place where she plays her best tennis freely. When she's in it, she's incredible. But it's Lichtenstein and Barty's is China.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

For anyone not already watching, Karatsev and Mannarino are currently starting the 4th set of a close, entertaining, and pretty high quality match...
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

About Berrettini: I don't think he is underrated, but the backhand is not as solid a shot as desired. Only thing I would say would be: at #7, sure he is one of the best, but there is one more step to take.
---0---
Maybe Anisimova has taken the turn. Let's not forget: she lost her father a couple of years ago, and that hit her very hard. Maybe she is back in the space that was expected of her. I don't want her to beat Barty because it locks me in the SP, but if she does, I will be happy for her.
---0---
Mannarino. I have said it before. For us amateurs, we should look at Adrian Mannarino AND TRY TO PLAY LIKE HIM. The compact strokes, the un-spectacular, efficient movement, the playing within your abilities. We can and should admire Roger and Rafa and Novak. We should try to imitate Mannarino.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Liamvalid Great Britain

Post by Liamvalid »

I agree about Berrettini, you rarely see him complain or create drama, he maintains a positive body language, doesn’t dwell on bad misses etc. He seems to channel all his physical and mental energy into his game, which is why he has been so consistent
Mary, queen of shots
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

Suliso wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:28 am
mick1303 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:20 am I can say that chances of Djokovic (when in the draw), Nadal (on clay) , Medvedev, Zverev and Tsitsipas to win the slam are higher than that of Berretini. But who else is clearly above him?
Completely subjectively I would rate Sinner higher as well and after that a few about the same (Rublev, FAA etc).
Co-sign.

Mick1303- your post kind of proves my point, though. If you can name players who have better chances- AND, as suliso says, you can name plenty of other players (near future- Alcaraz- and, in fantasy scenarios, and if he ever truly gets better (he won't)- and if a LOT of players lost unexpectedly, and the draw opens up- I'd like Fed's chances to win another Slam... :shock: )- there's just too much that has to happen for Berrettini to win a Slam. AND, I'd have to somewhat disagree with jazzyg. While admittedly it's tough to judge since Berrettini has a relatively short history playing Slams- I do feel his making the Wimbledon has a good deal to do with the Draw Gods going his way- and, he only has 4th Round and 2nd Round results at Wimbledon. I'd give him a fairer shake at winning a Slam at the Aussie or US Opens. Of course, nutty slam results could still happen with the current Nutty Tennis Tours at present. Still- I think he may be more of today's ATP Pam Shriver. :gorgeous: (AND I'd be perfectly happy if he proves me wrong and wins this damned tournament and/or multiple Slams.)
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:

Post by nelslus »

meganfernandez wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:19 pm
jazzyg wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:28 am Berettini is terminally underrated as a competitor.

I took this comment to mean his competitive spirit, not his pure ability or talent. Good observation.
.....Except- where is he terminally underrated as a competitor?!?! I just don't see that. (*My MUCH shorter version here.) :ugeek:
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I think Naomi needs matches. That said it seems Anisimova won the one match they played before last night/this morning.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

I stand by what I wrote. Berrettini is one of the best competitors on tour. His backhand fell apart against Alcaraz, who basically dominated the last two sets, but Berrettini kept his conposure, played the big points well and was immaculate in the tiebreak.

He has never lost a match from two sets up and even though the run of play indicated that streak would end against Alcaraz, he dug deep and refused to let it happen.

Berrettini is not one of the 10 most talented players, but he is one win away from his fourth consecutive slam quarterfinal. It says a lot about his toughness.

Post by meganfernandez »

nelslus wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:09 pm

.....Except- where is he terminally underrated as a competitor?!?! I just don't see that. (*My MUCH shorter version here.) :ugeek:
I think underrated means it's never mentioned, not that he has a reputation for being uncompetitive. Just by virtue of omission. People only talk about his power.

Post by meganfernandez »

ti-amie wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:00 pm I think Naomi needs matches. That said it seems Anisimova won the one match they played before last night/this morning.
You might be right. She pulled of the Adelaide semi thinking she had played enough - just two matches in. Didn't cite an injury. I thought that was weird and she should have tested herself against the best competition she could find, but I'm also always preaching that players and their coaches usually know better than fans when it comes to preparation and their schedules. This match was so close and they both played pretty well, maybe just one of those matches that could have gone either way, like the Muguruza quarter last year. Naomi did miss before Anisimova, though. Anisimova was just a little tougher and more consistent - maybe braver - in the end.

Post by nelslus »

meganfernandez wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:03 pm

I think underrated means it's never mentioned, not that he has a reputation for being uncompetitive. Just by virtue of omission. People only talk about his power.
I just don't see it at all that he is underrated, and that a lot of folks don't see him as an excellent competitor, at least by those who have any kind of clue in the tennis world. ;)
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Remember how highly touted Anisimova was just a few years ago. Her father's death certainly took a huge toll on her, but this is what was expected of her. So this is not completely unexpected.
---0---
The sole thing people talk about Berrettini is his power? Really? ;)
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:48 pm Remember how highly touted Anisimova was just a few years ago. Her father's death certainly took a huge toll on her, but this is what was expected of her. So this is not completely unexpected.
---0---
The sole thing people talk about Berrettini is his power? Really? ;)
Tennis-wise :)

Post by meganfernandez »

nelslus wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:10 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:03 pm

I just don't see it at all that he is underrated, and that a lot of folks don't see him as an excellent competitor, at least by those who have any kind of clue in the tennis world. ;)
That's fine. Just saying that's how I read jazzyg's comment, and it made me realize that I had never thought about him as a a standout competitor - as in, one of his weapons - and never heard anyone extol that particular part of his game - his heart, his fight, his will. But we all hear and absorb different things!