'22 AO Day 5 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
nelslus United States of America

Re: '22 AO Day 5 OoP & Discussion

Post by nelslus »

LOL, Madison can be so maddening!!!! But, what a brilliant third-set tiebreaker. Watched most of the third set. Not Madison's best. If she can just keep her focus the way she played that tiebreaker....
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:

Post by nelslus »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:23 am That was a fantastic match. "Finesse? (expletive) that! Let's cream these balls!"
(Badosa - Kostyuk)
Much of the Badosa and Krejčíková matches (I watched bits and pieces of both- we HAD to watch Project Runway.... :gorgeous: ) were great- until the end of the matches, which got really shaking- but still really compelling and dramatic.
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

That was a match Keys never would have won in the past, even when she was confident. She always has been either on or off, but after being off for a set and two games today, she got it together and played smart the rest of the way before that outstanding tiebreak.

What likely will get her at the end is her return of serve. She simply misses too many makable returns.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by nelslus »

ti-amie wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:27 am
NOW she truly has to prove that she will stick to this plan, day in and day out. She was going for too many impossible winners, and missed too many returns today.

Post by jazzyg »

Berettini is terminally underrated as a competitor.

He is one of the very best on tour.

Post by nelslus »

jazzyg wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:28 am Berettini is terminally underrated as a competitor.

At least in the tennis world? Who's underrating a player as a competitor who's been in a Wimbledon final, a US Open SF, a Roland Garros QF, etc.? Who's ranked #7 in the world? Then they're fools.

Having said that...if you check his draws in these tournaments, he's also taken advantage of openings in the draws, and really hasn't had to play any of the big boys at these slams. I looked up his records against Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, Tsitsipas. Medvedev and Zverev- and, he has only one win against Zverev (vs. 4 losses). He's not played the others much- which also says something (not getting to the places in the draws when he might play them more.)

I mean, I do love watching the guy and his game (and his extreme prettiness.) It's amazing that he won today, with his apparent stomach bug issues. With him being 25, there's time enough for the old boys to age out (which I think has already happened with Federer), he can still improve, we'll have to see how consistent the youngers guys are.....problem is, and I do of course think he's an excellent competitor- at Slams at least, he just tends to play LOONNNNNNGGGG and complicated matches- which doesn't help his cause to actually win the big titles (and how many other players can we say THAT about?) So- an excellent competitor- of course. A potential Slam champion? I'd still say doubtful, at best.
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

nelslus wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:02 am
jazzyg wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:28 am Berettini is terminally underrated as a competitor.

At least in the tennis world? Who's underrating a player as a competitor who's been in a Wimbledon final, a US Open SF, a Roland Garros QF, etc.? Who's ranked #7 in the world? Then they're fools.

Having said that...if you check his draws in these tournaments, he's also taken advantage of openings in the draws, and really hasn't had to play any of the big boys at these slams. I looked up his records against Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, Tsitsipas. Medvedev and Zverev- and, he has only one win against Zverev (vs. 4 losses). He's not played the others much- which also says something (not getting to the places in the draws when he might play them more.)

I mean, I do love watching the guy and his game (and his extreme prettiness.) It's amazing that he won today, with his apparent stomach bug issues. With him being 25, there's time enough for the old boys to age out (which I think has already happened with Federer), he can still improve, we'll have to see how consistent the youngers guys are.....problem is, and I do of course think he's an excellent competitor- at Slams at least, he just tends to play LOONNNNNNGGGG and complicated matches- which doesn't help his cause to actually win the big titles (and how many other players can we say THAT about?) So- an excellent competitor- of course. A potential Slam champion? I'd still say doubtful, at best.
I can say that chances of Djokovic (when in the draw), Nadal (on clay) , Medvedev, Zverev and Tsitsipas to win the slam are higher than that of Berretini. But who else is clearly above him?
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

mick1303 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:20 am I can say that chances of Djokovic (when in the draw), Nadal (on clay) , Medvedev, Zverev and Tsitsipas to win the slam are higher than that of Berretini. But who else is clearly above him?
Completely subjectively I would rate Sinner higher as well and after that a few about the same (Rublev, FAA etc).
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

The Osaka/Anisimova match is fire.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Osaka and Anisimova are smacking the ball back and forth late in the third... Seems like it's one winner after another. Will the balls survive this?
Overall points in the match are just about dead even (I think Osaka is ahead by 1 or 2).
Good stuff.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

Match of the tournament so far on the women's side. Barty has been a buzzsaw for her first three matches, but Anisimova looks very formidable.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Wow, that's an amazing win by Anisimova. I was quite convinced before the match that Osaka would win in straight sets.

Not a lucky draw for her, though. Barty is next and playing very well.
Liamvalid Great Britain

Post by Liamvalid »

Sad for Osaka, I do feel that she would have beaten Barty in the next round, but I’m really impressed with Anisinova (she only just squeaked through in her first round match against someone I’ve never heard of?)
Mary, queen of shots

Post by jazzyg »

Wish I had been able to stay up for the Anisimova-Osaka match.

As for Berrettini, he absolutely can win Wimbledon. Not saying he will, but he certainly can. His movement and backhand will prevent him from winning on any other surface. The backhand works well on grass.