'22 AO Day 6 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
JazzNU United States of America

Re: '22 AO Day 6 OoP & Discussion

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:13 am
He could get defaulted and I wouldn't think it's too harsh based on his body of work. With the amount of OCC he's gotten in his career, any violation he gets is warranted.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Well that was interesting. O'Connell takes the second set 7-6(6)
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

And Cressy came back from 2-4 down in the tiebreak to have a couple of set points to go up 2 sets to love...

It's not easy trying to watch 4 matches at once...
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ti-amie wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:57 am I was posting the Day 7 OoP and looked up to watch a point. My first thought was "why is this guy playing like Sampras?"

The danger is that when he comes in he gets passed.
Can't find it. Came here to the States on Wednesday, bought a HULU subscription, and ESPN+ is not showing it. I think (or I can't find it).
I saw bits of Creesy vs Nadal, and yes, he is serving and volleying. Mostly serving. I think he needs to anchor his BH volley but he is showing that it can be done.
About getting passed. Sampras said it: you will get passed. The question was: do you get passed MORE than you hit the winning volley. Sampras figured that he would win any match in which he would win 55% of his volleys. That is 45% losing. So, as a former S&V player, you just have to learn to live with that. You will get passed. Some of them will be spectacular. But you keep asking the question: can you pass me? If he answers it more than you can ask it, you lose. If not, you win.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:57 am
Can't find it. Came here to the States on Wednesday, bought a HULU subscription, and ESPN+ is not showing it. I think (or I can't find it).
It's there, look again. If you still can't find it, use this link.

https://www.espn.com/espnplus/player/_/ ... fb8cf6ac8d

ETA: And this is for everyone new to using ESPN+, if there's a match that should be on and you can't find it, scroll down slightly in the ESPN App to the Leagues section, click AO symbol for Aussie Open and use that section to scroll through the options available.
Last edited by JazzNU on Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

74 winners for Fritz in that match--his career-high before tonight was 49
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Now that Paire has taken a set off of Tsitsipas, will he be content with having shown that he can play at this level, and go into the tank now?

It's not looking like it early in the 4th. Tsitsipas is angry and frustrated - and is showing it. That might actually be enough motivation for Benoit to keep playing - just to piss Stefanos off...
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Felix is cruising in the 2nd over Evans - Felix having won the 1st.

With Felix, you never know, though - he could just as easily lose the 3rd (and the 4th) as win it.
R.I.P. Amal...

JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

Cressy plays a similar style to me, only he is good :D
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Same here
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

I decided to watch Med-Kyrgios - the whole match rather than highlights. What can I say - Kyrgios is putrid. His antics have clear goals - not only distract his opponents but also buy him time to recover, because HE IS NOT FIT. I consider this a form of cheating.
Last edited by mick1303 on Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

Regarding "siyy" vs "booo" - there is a story that Iliad (ancient Greek piece of literature) was written not by the Homer we knew but by another ancient greek. Coincidentally his name was also "Homer" ))
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Significant surprise that Cilic is up 2 sets to love and a break on Rublev.

Not surprising that, after Cirstea won the opening set, Pavlyuchenkova won the 2nd. Cirstea often goes from hot to cold (and sometimes back to hot) within the same match. And Pavlyuchenkova is experienced enough to exploit that.
We'll see what the 3rd set has to offer...
R.I.P. Amal...

Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

... Or maybe Pavlyuchenkova doesn't know how to exploit her Cirstea's mental fragility.
I'm very surprised that it's Pavlyuchenkova who's choking away the 3rd set. 5- 1 Cirstea.
There's still time for Cirstea to blow it - and it's very possible that she will fall apart... but it doesn't look like Pavlyuchenkova will allow her do that - as, so far, she's insisting on falling apart herself.

Meanwhile on the other court, things are starting to come back to order, with Rublev rallying from a break down to win the 3rd set.
With Cilic the older of the two, I'd say Rublev's chances are pretty good now.
R.I.P. Amal...

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

JazzNU wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:04 am ...

It's there, look again. If you still can't find it, use this link.

https://www.espn.com/espnplus/player/_/ ... fb8cf6ac8d

ETA: And this is for everyone new to using ESPN+, if there's a match that should be on and you can't find it, scroll down slightly in the ESPN App to the Leagues section, click AO symbol for Aussie Open and use that section to scroll through the options available.
Ok, I found it. Saw the third set, but it was way too late here by then.
It was great to see somebody coming in. For such a tall guy, he is pretty agile at the net, and obviously has a big wing span. Having said that:
I can't imagine a worst frame for serve and volleying than a Babolat. Way too powerful, and the Aero is simply a catapult painted in yellow. But, he likes it, so what do I know?
And his BH volley needs a little work. Actually, I would say he needs to rotate his grip a tiny little bit. He is not volleying with a pure continental, he is slightly rotated to an eastern forehand grip. Just a tiny bit. But it takes a bit of pop of the backhand side.
But yes, give me somebody at the net all the time.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem