JTContinental United States of America

Re: '22 AO Day 6 OoP & Discussion

Post by JTContinental »

A bagel for RBA in set 1
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I thought when Fritz was playing the ATP that he is playing so much better than as recent as one year. I am a bit surprised that he bagelled RBA, but I felt he was the favorite.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:36 am I thought when Fritz was playing the ATP that he is playing so much better than as recent as one year. I am a bit surprised that he bagelled RBA, but I felt he was the favorite.
Seemed like a toss-up to me, but I had no idea about RBA's current form.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:05 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:06 pm Expect Vondrousova to knock off Sabalenka...!
That's too easy a call :) You have to say, at least, how many DF's Aryna will make.
Serious here: I am not sure. I say she drops the first set, then settles into the resignation of losing, and comes back. I mean Aryna.
Almost agree..she win win the second then go crazy again in the third..should be fun!
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:43 am
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:05 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:06 pm Expect Vondrousova to knock off Sabalenka...!
That's too easy a call :) You have to say, at least, how many DF's Aryna will make.
Serious here: I am not sure. I say she drops the first set, then settles into the resignation of losing, and comes back. I mean Aryna.
Almost agree..she win win the second then go crazy again in the third..should be fun!
Mostly right. I don't think Aryna was resigned to losing, though. The opposite - she fought. Gotta give it to her for winning three rounds serving so poorly. She served better this match, though. Rennae pronounced her serve yips to be over, Pam disagreed.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

As I wrote yesterday we were too quick writing off Sabalenka. Now someone will have to play really well to get past her.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I'm watching Cressy vs O'Connell. Watching Cressy playing serve and volley game is so weird. Right now he's up 4-2. I hope Ponchi can see the match.

Oh.. O'Connell has called for the trainer.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Suliso wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:11 am As I wrote yesterday we were too quick writing off Sabalenka. Now someone will have to play really well to get past her.
She even joked about her double faults in the on-court interview, so she is not seeing it as too terrible a problem. Kanepi is not an unsurmountable obstacle, and other than the serve, the rest of her game is clicking. She is absolutely creaming the ball. So yes, she will not be an easy out.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Suliso wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:11 am As I wrote yesterday we were too quick writing off Sabalenka. Now someone will have to play really well to get past her.
^ Or she will self-destruct again, as she has a history of doing (long before the service 'yips' came along).
ti-amie wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:40 am I'm watching Cressy vs O'Connell. Watching Cressy playing serve and volley game is so weird. Right now he's up 4-2. I hope Ponchi can see the match.

Oh.. O'Connell has called for the trainer.
^ Ponchi's not the only one who misses the serve & volley game - I very much miss it, too - especially the contrast it provided to the baseline game.
I watch Cressy as much as I can now. He not only serves and volleys, but he also often chips and charges!
I hope he climbs high enough in the rankings to have an influence not only on other pro players, but also on the kids coming up.
Serve & volley is a very physical game, though...
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I was posting the Day 7 OoP and looked up to watch a point. My first thought was "why is this guy playing like Sampras?"

The danger is that when he comes in he gets passed.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

true.. glad to see, actually, that she is playing well..
I would guess Barty is going to win this thing..

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ti-amie wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:57 am I was posting the Day 7 OoP and looked up to watch a point. My first thought was "why is this guy playing like Sampras?"

Sampras was one of Cressy's influences, not surprisingly.
He played the Final vs. Nadal a week or so ago - and played really well in that final - 7-6, 7-5, Nadal, I think it was... He's rising pretty quickly in the rankings now, which is great. It remains to be seen if A) his success is due mostly to the novelty of his playing style, and if the advantage of that unconventional game will vanish once the players get used to playing him, and B) if serve & volley can survive as a viable style of play these days inside the top 30 in the rankings.

viewtopic.php?t=43&start=1680#p38145

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Deuce wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:20 am
ti-amie wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:57 am I was posting the Day 7 OoP and looked up to watch a point. My first thought was "why is this guy playing like Sampras?"

Sampras was one of Cressy's influences, not surprisingly.
He played the Final vs. Nadal a week or so ago - and played really well in that final - 7-6, 7-5, Nadal, I think it was... He's rising pretty quickly in the rankings now, which is great. It remains to be seen if A) his success is due mostly to the novelty of his playing style, and if the advantage of that unconventional game will vanish once the players get used to playing him, and B) if serve & volley can survive as a viable style of play these days inside the top 30 in the rankings.

viewtopic.php?t=43&start=1680#p38145

No lies seen.

They're playing a second set TB and O'Connell just broke him and is up 3-1.