'22 AO Day 7 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
meganfernandez United States of America

Re: '22 AO Day 7 OoP & Discussion

Post by meganfernandez »

jazzyg wrote:Shapovalov is going to beat Nadal if he keeps this level. Doesn't have to be better. Just has to stay at this level.

This Rafa can't handle Shapo's all-around game without donations.
Rafa won’t let him get away with serving around 50%, like Shapo did in the first set and still won 6-3! Would be nice to see a match like the one they had in Montreal so many years ago. But Nadal won’t roll over like Sascha did today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

Zverev has a much better return of serve than Rafa. Shapovalov will be more comfortable serving to him.
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

I don't mind all the UFEs that Anisimova is hitting because she is being really aggressive. She needs to work on her shot selection, but she looks like she could contend for big titles again.
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

The crowd at Kecmanovic-Monfils is starting to get annoying - a little too lubricated I suppose. Usually it's the piercing screams from the players that get to be too much, but the fans their need to bring it down to an 11.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Maybe Key in the zone can prevent Barty reaching the final, but otherwise I don't see a chance for anyone. Assuming of course her level doesn't drop significantly.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

In the 2nd set, Berrettini just served at 83% 1st serves and an average of 195 kph - and still had to go to a tiebreak to win it.
He's up 2 sets to love now.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

meganfernandez wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:56 am Nadal is going to crush Shapo.

jazzyg wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:59 am Shapovalov is going to beat Nadal if he keeps this level. Doesn't have to be better. Just has to stay at this level.

So, do we settle in: it will go 5 sets? :)
It would be really hard to call.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

The Barty vs. Anisimova match is a perfect example of why I'm not a fan of OCC at grand slams (and think it's changed the trajectory of outcomes on the regular tour). Amanda was very jumpy and even a single visit from Darren I think would have calmed her down and re-focused her efforts. She was not capable of doing it on her own yesterday. Give her some OCC, and I think she would've done much better. Which I guess is great for the viewer to see a more competitive, higher quality match, but not for many other reasons to me.

A shame she couldn't muster more than what she did in this match, but I'd expect her to have a better shot at beating Ash in the future on hard courts, and being capable of doing so on clay this season if she maintains this form.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

JazzNU wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:31 pm The Barty vs. Anisimova match is a perfect example of why I'm not a fan of OCC at grand slams (and think it's changed the trajectory of outcomes on the regular tour). Amanda was very jumpy and even a single visit from Darren I think would have calmed her down and re-focused her efforts. She was not capable of doing it on her own yesterday. Give her some OCC, and I think she would've done much better. Which I guess is great for the viewer to see a more competitive, higher quality match, but not for many other reasons to me.

A shame she couldn't muster more than what she did in this match, but I'd expect her to have a better shot at beating Ash in the future on hard courts, and being capable of doing so on clay this season if she maintains this form.
OCC has ruined the women's game.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote:
meganfernandez wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:56 am Nadal is going to crush Shapo.

jazzyg wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:59 am Shapovalov is going to beat Nadal if he keeps this level. Doesn't have to be better. Just has to stay at this level.

So, do we settle in: it will go 5 sets? :)
It would be really hard to call.
I think 4 or 5. I guess “crush” would be too harsh. But he’s gonna make Denis work a lot harder than Zverev did.

Liamvalid Great Britain

Post by Liamvalid »

Just noticed that every singles match was won in straight sets today, that must be rare at this stage of a slam
Mary, queen of shots