'22 AO Day 7 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: '22 AO Day 7 OoP & Discussion

Post by ti-amie »

If Keys has to face Krejcikova she's toast.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

I like Badosa, but I'm not as high on her as many others are. I thought as long as Madison played her game and her serve was on, she'd have this match no problem. I am skeptical of Badosa's staying power at the very top of the game as some of the younger talent emerges. But since she's worked on her serve in the last year, I certainly think she's got a better shot than I did last Spring.

But I like her a lot, think she's been a good addition to the tour. She doesn't mind the spotlight, which is great, not everyone is so natural with it. And regardless of whether she's ranked in the top 10 or top 30, I think she'll be able to be one of the faces of the sport for the next 10 years, and that's a very good thing.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

ti-amie wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:50 am If Keys has to face Krejcikova she's toast.
Way too premature, I think. On a good day Keys can blast anyone off the court and I mean anyone. Krejcikova is good, but not amazing on hard courts.
martini4me Canada

Post by martini4me »

jazzyg wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:18 am Maybe I'll be burned here (wouldn't be the first time), but I really think Azarenka is the most overrated great player of all time. ESPN just posted a stat that she is 2-14 against top-10 players in grand slams, and both wins came against Sharapova. Mystifyingly, she's considered to be some big-match player.
That's quite a stat.

It's also quite wrong. Just looking at her Australian Open history, she beat Zvonareva (9), Radwanska (8), Sharapova (4), Li (6), Wozniacki (8). She did lose to Serena three years in a row (2009-11). If I recall correctly, a couple of those she was ill. Do you remember her staggering around the court and then fainting, luckily her hair braid cushioning the back of her head as she hit the court?
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Suliso wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:49 am I'd take Keys over Krejcikova as well, but with less confidence than over Azarenka.

Meanwhile Pegula seems to be keen on kicking us all out of the SP... Sakkari kind of mediocre for a top 10 player, but I thought still too strong for Pegula. Maybe still recovers...
Tend to agree with you on Sakkari. Love her and she maximizes her talent, but she has to work awfully hard for everything.
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

Maybe the stat was from a certain year and on. It definitely was the stat I read.

EDIT: I count 12 wins against players seeded in the top 10 of slams over her career, so that graphic was not even close although her record in those matches is quite poor. Apologize for passing on misinformation.
Last edited by jazzyg on Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

martini4me wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:54 am
jazzyg wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:18 am Maybe I'll be burned here (wouldn't be the first time), but I really think Azarenka is the most overrated great player of all time. ESPN just posted a stat that she is 2-14 against top-10 players in grand slams, and both wins came against Sharapova. Mystifyingly, she's considered to be some big-match player.
That's quite a stat.

It's also quite wrong. Just looking at her Australian Open history, she beat Zvonareva (9), Radwanska (8), Sharapova (4), Li (6), Wozniacki (8). She did lose to Serena three years in a row (2009-11). If I recall correctly, a couple of those she was ill. Do you remember her staggering around the court and then fainting, luckily her hair braid cushioning the back of her head as she hit the court?
I remember Vika being ill/staggering against Serena in Australia early in her career, before she won. I think it was in 2009, R4, because Vika won that first set and then retired down 4-2 in the second. I also remember hating her back then, for some reason. I was so happy when she retired. It's a very stark memory!
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Suliso wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:54 am
ti-amie wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:50 am If Keys has to face Krejcikova she's toast.
Way too premature, I think. On a good day Keys can blast anyone off the court and I mean anyone. Krejcikova is good, but not amazing on hard courts.
It's not easy to blast balls when you've got no pace coming at you, though. Trying to hit hard off of soft shots is often a recipe for over-hitting.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

I had Krejcikova beating her in my pre-tournament picks.
Good call then!
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Not saying easy... But still if I get that far I'm taking Keys in SP. :)
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

I am quite confident Krejcikova will beat Keys...just as Sloane did at the USO..she will expose Keys' poor movement and footwork...
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

ashkor87 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:21 am I am quite confident Krejcikova will beat Keys...just as Sloane did at the USO..she will expose Keys' poor movement and footwork...
Didn't you also think Badosa would beat Keys? ;)
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

Keys footwork has not really been a liability so far this year. She worked on her fitness a lot over the break
martini4me Canada

Post by martini4me »

jazzyg wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:02 am Maybe the stat was from a certain year and on. It definitely was the stat I read.
Looking at her WTA page, she certainly had a few deep runs at the hard court majors where she didn't have to play many top seeds. (But you can only beat who's on court against you.) But just 16 months ago, she beat Sabalenka (5) and Serena (3) at the US Open, so ESPN was either out to lunch or was seriously cherry-picking what matches they were counting (like maybe quarter-final or later matches from 2013-2019, or something nonsensical like that).