'22 AO Day 7 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
meganfernandez United States of America

Re: '22 AO Day 7 OoP & Discussion

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:43 am Oh she is certainly a good player..and she is good for the game..we need more like her...
I think so... and honestly, I was just saying what I see. I'm not the best judge of player talent. So many people see stuff I don't see. Maybe you're right.
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

ashkor87 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:02 am I feel . vika will certainly beat Keys in the next round
I think Keys will beat her about as easily as she did Badosa if she continues to play like this. Just a more talented, better player than Azarenka. Not sure what Azarenka does as well as Keys.

Post by jazzyg »

meganfernandez wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:44 am I'm not the best judge of player talent. So many people see stuff I don't see. Maybe you're right.
I don't know about that. Years ago, you went against the grain and wrote Sabalenka was not nearly as ready to win a slam as most people (including me) thought. You were right. You also liked Kontaveit's ability a few years ago, and although she flamed out here, you were proven right with her sizzling end to 2021.

Post by meganfernandez »

jazzyg wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:47 am
ashkor87 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:02 am I feel . vika will certainly beat Keys in the next round
I think Keys will beat her about as easily as she did Badosa if she continues to play like this. Just a more talented, better player than Azarenka. Not sure what Azarenka does as well as Keys.
I think Azarenka is more consistent and builds points better. Badosa didn't do anything to make Madi uncomfortable.
Last edited by meganfernandez on Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post by meganfernandez »

jazzyg wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:50 am
meganfernandez wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:44 am I'm not the best judge of player talent. So many people see stuff I don't see. Maybe you're right.
I don't know about that. Years ago, you went against the grain and wrote Sabalenka was not nearly as ready to win a slam as most people (including me) thought. You were right. You also liked Kontaveit's ability a few years ago, and although she flamed out here, you were proven right with her sizzling end to 2021.
Very flattered that you remember my Sabalenka skepticism. I was pretty smug about that. :) She was the fashionable pick in 2019, I think, after a blazing fall, but didn't have much Slam experience. Anisimova beat her in R2. Well, I was definitely wrong about Badosa - she was my pick to win the tournament. I actually think Barty is the clear favorite, but it was a boring pick. In all fairness, I suck at the women's SPs! I've only made it to the 2nd week once or twice in 15 years!

Post by meganfernandez »

meganfernandez wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:33 am
ti-amie wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:27 am In the end Badosa looked as if she finally hit the wall that's been looming from day 1. No legs and nothing on her serve.
Maybe. The Kostyuk match might have taken a lot out of her. But this is the sport. She should be fit enough for her matchload over the last couple weeks. Most of her matches this week were fast.

Maybe the shoulder that was strapped? Heck, maybe she's on her period. My friend and I talk about that a lot in tennis (in fact, she just texted me that about Badosa). It can really throw people off and we never know when they're feeling the effects. Remember when Swiatek mentioned it last year in a presser? Loved it.
Some people are saying the heat was the big issue with Badosa today. Similar to Tokyo, when she retired and left the court in a wheelchair. Do you think that's why she might have been out of gas, playing in the heat this week?
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Krejcikova is smooth as silk...reminds me of Mecir...no effort at all..

Post by jazzyg »

Maybe I'll be burned here (wouldn't be the first time), but I really think Azarenka is the most overrated great player of all time. ESPN just posted a stat that she is 2-14 against top-10 players in grand slams, and both wins came against Sharapova. Mystifyingly, she's considered to be some big-match player.

I had Krejcikova beating her in my pre-tournament picks.
Last edited by jazzyg on Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
martini4me Canada

Post by martini4me »

Heat, maybe a stomach bug or some other illness. She was bending over or slumping several times during the match, she seemed to be feeling somewhat less than 100 per cent today, or actually tomorrow.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Post by meganfernandez »

jazzyg wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:18 am Maybe I'll be burned here (wouldn't be the first time), but I really think Azarenka is the most overrated great player of all time. ESPN just posted a stat that she is 2-14 against top-10 players in grand slams, and both wins came against Sharapova. Mystifyingly, she's considered to be some big-match player.

I had Krejcikova beating her in my pre-tournament picks.
10 of those losses might have been to Serena. :) She has lost to Serena 10 times in Slams, but I don't know if Serena was ranked in the top 10 for all of those. Most of them, probably, based on the years those matches happened. I think Vika was extremely tough in her prime. Those 2 finals against Serena at the US Open were pretty close.

Post by jazzyg »

Azarenka was very good the first time she won the Australian Open. The next year she survived some very shaky matches, and her movement has never been strong since that first slam win.

No doubt she suffered a lot of tough losses to Serena. Her biggest asset is that she takes herself very seriously and is intimidated by no one, unlike just about everyone else was by Serena in her long prime. But I've watched Azarenka play a series of stinker matches in slams, with her performance in the third round against Halep in 2019 Wimbledon one of the worst matches Ii've ever seen any player play. I just don't like her game. Her serve in particularly is balky, and she has been victimized by several nervy performances even though mental strength is a supposed strength of hers.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Am I missing something here?
All this talk (typing) here about how Azarenka will do vs. Keys... But, as far as I'm aware, Azarenka hasn't reached that point yet. Not only that - but it looks like she won't reach that point.
I don't know why you guys are (were?) so sure that it would be Keys vs. Azarenka...
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Post by meganfernandez »

jazzyg wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:42 am Azarenka was very good the first time she won the Australian Open. The next year she survived some very shaky matches, and her movement has never been strong since that first slam win.

No doubt she suffered a lot of tough losses to Serena. Her biggest asset is that she takes herself very seriously and is intimidated by no one, unlike just about everyone else was by Serena in her long prime. But I've watched Azarenka play a series of stinker matches in slams, with her performance in the third round against Halep in 2019 Wimbledon one of the worst matches Ii've ever seen any player play. I just don't like her game. Her serve in particularly is balky.
This match sure is a stinker. Two stinkers in a row tonight. Looks like Azarenka is having a neck problem. Yeah, Azarenka's best weapon has always been her belief and competitiveness, I think. But that backhand, too, at times.

Post by meganfernandez »

Deuce wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:46 am Am I missing something here?
All this talk (typing) here about how Azarenka will do vs. Keys... But, as far as I'm aware, Azarenka hasn't reached that point yet. Not only that - but it looks like she won't reach that point.
I don't know why you guys are (were?) so sure that it would be Keys vs. Azarenka...
It's definitely not going to be, and I think Krejcikova beats Keys. She can absorb pace.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

I'd take Keys over Krejcikova as well, but with less confidence than over Azarenka.

Meanwhile Pegula seems to be keen on kicking us all out of the SP... Sakkari kind of mediocre for a top 10 player, but I thought still too strong for Pegula. Maybe still recovers...