'22 AO Day 8 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
jazzyg United States of America

Re: '22 AO Day 8 OoP & Discussion

Post by jazzyg »

Yes, very impressed by Cressy. He got into Medvedev's head and turned him into Fognini, spewing how he was hitting lucky shots repeatedly. Unfortunately for Cressy, Medvedev does not have Fognini's game.

Very entertaining match.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Will be interesting to see if Cressy can reach the top 20 this year. If he can keep this level consistently chances are good.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

7-5 Medvedev in the 4th to win the match.
But Cressy won even more fans - both among the crowd and among the commentators, the latter of which were praising him and saying how enjoyable it is to watch him.

And he frustrated Medvedev. At one point, Medvedev screamed "THIS IS SO BORING!"
No, Daniil, it is not boring at all. Just because the points are over more quickly in no way means it's boring. Quite the opposite. A serve & volley player playing a baseline player is actually significantly more exciting and enjoyable than is watching two baseliners hit the ball back & forth infinitely - which is what we've been subjected to for the past 20 years or so. Variety is good, and the contrast of serve & volley and baseline is much more interesting than yet more baseline vs baseline.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

Don't put much stock in what the player shouts in the heat of the moment. I'm sure he was just venting frustration. When he will calm down after the match he will think differently.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

mick1303 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:12 am Don't put much stock in what the player shouts in the heat of the moment. I'm sure he was just venting frustration. When he will calm down after the match he will think differently.
^ Yes, of course...

But sometimes, spontaneous exclamations during a match are a window into a player's psyche...
Case in point :D :o :
"A Nymphomaniac is Also a Nun"...

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Liamvalid Great Britain

Post by Liamvalid »

Happy for Cornet, she’s played some entertaining matches over the years and is a quirky personality. It emphasises recent posts about mentality versus talent-she has shown the talent many times that she could possibly win a slam and be a top 20 mainstay, but she just doesn’t have the mentality to play that way consistently. It’s a great story for her to break her duck here at 32 years old.
Mary, queen of shots
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

It would be funny if after all the talk about the imminent collapse of Sabalenka she would go on to win the title.
Liamvalid Great Britain

Post by Liamvalid »

Medvedev still complaining about his match:
"I don't know what I should do to play on centre courts in Slams," he said.

"I won the last Grand Slam, I'm highest seed here. To play against Maxime would be easier on Rod Laver, more space."

"When you play on a smaller court it's tougher to play somebody who does serve and volley than on a bigger court," added Medvedev, who was beaten by Novak Djokovic in last year's Melbourne final.

"It's like same in Wimbledon, I haven't even played on Centre, because I don't count the fifth set which I played after the rain, after being put on court two."

"I've played harder matches but this was long. It wasn't easy," said Medvedev.

"The fourth set was crazy. Every time I had a break point he would have second serves and hit the line. I couldn't return them."

"I don't like trash talking. I sometimes can unfortunately roll into this, but I don't like it, I try almost never to do it, especially against other players.

"Again, today was borderline. I don't think I actually said anything bad about Maxime but yeah borderline, where I am not really happy about it."
full article https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/60108098
Mary, queen of shots
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Sabalenka actually won the 1st set for a change...
Then she lost the 2nd decidedly.
In the 3rd, she double faulted the game away at 4-4 (3 double faults, I believe). So - 5-4 Kanepi. Then Kanepi blew 4 match points on her serve - which included a double fault at the first deuce, immediately followed by an ace... finally blowing the game. So - tied 5-5. Incredible.

Then they both hold to bring it to a tiebreak (10 point tiebreak). Naturally, they play the tiebreak quite even, essentially trading points to 7-7.
Kanepi thinks she wins the match at 9-7 in the tiebreak - then realizes she must win one more point to win the match...
Is this stuff scripted and rehearsed?

Finally, Kanepi does win the next point when Sabalenka has an open court and nets an easy backhand.
Unreal.
R.I.P. Amal...

Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Unbelievable events - Kanepi collapsed serving at 5-7, 6-2, 5-4, 40-0 (4 MP's in total). I thought she's a toast after that, but surprisingly she won the match tiebreak anyway. Aryna double faulting like a madwoman no doubt helped.

So Kanepi joins the not so long list of women who have reached QF's or better at all Slams. Curiously never further than that. This will be her 7th try.

Overall I'll be very surprised if the ultimate winner comes from this half of the draw.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Tsitsipas survived his match with Fritz even though he shouldn't have. Taylor has 15 break points, but could break only twice...
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

Before his descent into choke-ville two years ago, Tsitsipas was establishing himself as one of the toughest players on tour. There was that match against Federer when he saved every break point. He was extremely clutch against RBA that same tourney.

I did not see any of this match, but following the scoreline in the fifth set I always expected Tsitsipas to win.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

jazzyg wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:47 pm I did not see any of this match, but following the scoreline in the fifth set I always expected Tsitsipas to win.
In the fifth I did as well, but Fritz could have won in four.
Liamvalid Great Britain

Post by Liamvalid »

After the way Fritz let Nole off the hook here last year, I have never trusted him to close out a match
Mary, queen of shots
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Deuce wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:29 am I'm watching Felix-Cilic, where Felix saved a set point against in the 2nd set tiebreak, and converted on his 2nd set point. One set each.

Also watching Medvedev-Cressy, which is now into a 2nd set tiebreak after Medvedev won the opening set. Medvedev saved a set point against with a great shot.
Cressy has played a really good 2nd set, putting the pressure on Medvedev.

Will switch to watch the end of Halep-Cornet after Medvedev-Cressy tiebreak.
Cressy put up a great fight. Medvedev was just too good, too sharp. The set point he saved in the in the 2nd was incredible.