'22 AO Day 9 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
meganfernandez United States of America

Re: '22 AO Day 9 OoP & Discussion

Post by meganfernandez »

Brad Gilbert: “The trainer has the weirdest clap I have ever seen.” Shapo’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

I'm not at all surprised that this is Nadal's match. He simply has an extra gear that others don't have. And that 'extra gear' is not so much in physical ability (though there is that advantage, as well), but more in the area of drive and determination. And experience over youngsters like Denis, too, of course.
He's just in a different category.
Still.

And the only umpires who use the elevator chair should be those who are physically unable to climb the steps to the chair. Otherwise, it is the very definition of 'unnecessary' and 'ostentatious' :D .
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

'22 AO Day 9 OoP & Discussion

Post by meganfernandez »

Deuce wrote:I'm not at all surprised that this is Nadal's match. He simply has an extra gear that others don't have. And that 'extra gear' is not so much in physical ability (though there is that advantage, as well), but more in the area of drive and determination. And experience over youngsters like Denis, too, of course.
He's just in a different category.
Still.

And the only umpires who use the elevator chair should be those who are physically unable to climb the steps to the chair. Otherwise, it is the very definition of 'unnecessary' and 'ostentatious' :D .
Me neither! I picked Nadal to win the tournament and thought he’s win this is 4 at the most. He’s healthy and he’s motivated. Only about 2 people can beat him in this form. However, Shapo was had chances.

Elevator chair is cool. Unnecessary but so is this phone in my hand. Not everything has to be necessary! It’s fun and cool. Maybe this actually is an accessibility thing though. I read about the Australian architecture firm that designed them. Anyway, you keep climbing stairs. I’ll take the funicular. :)
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:10 am I went to college in Florida, prior to Climate Change. I would train at noon, on purpose.
You would squeeze your shirt, make a pool on the court, and by the time you were ready to serve again, the puddle was gone. So it is a very big advantage.
---0---
Lovely match from Maddie. I don't know now if I want Cornet or Keys to win the whole thing, but it would be a great story either way.
Doesn't even have to be Florida that you're used to is the thing here. Late spring and summer in plenty of places on the East Coast, parts of the Midwest, Louisiana, Texas and many Southern states, will get you plenty used to the heat and humidity. Camp, practice, other outdoor activities, they only get cancelled when the index reaches levels that equal unhealthy, and even then, I remember we still went out for tennis camp for 2-3 hours one day, just did in the morning before it the worst of the heat settled in. You just roll with it because that's how it is most days, can't cancel everyday for heat and humidity. Doesn't feel like an advantage when you're out in it, but glad it's good for something.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

meganfernandez wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:15 am
Deuce wrote: And the only umpires who use the elevator chair should be those who are physically unable to climb the steps to the chair. Otherwise, it is the very definition of 'unnecessary' and 'ostentatious' :D .
Elevator chair is cool. Unnecessary but so is this phone in my hand. Not everything has to be necessary! It’s fun and cool. Maybe this actually is an accessibility thing though. I read about the Australian architecture firm that designed them. Anyway, you keep climbing stairs. I’ll take the funicular. :)
From a 'Batman' episode (the hilarious TV show):

Dick Grayson (Robin): We'd better get home.

Bruce Wayne (Batman): No, there's no time for that.
We'll change into our spare Bat-outfits in the limousine and leg it to police headquarters.

Dick Grayson (Robin): Leg it? How about a taxi?

Bruce Wayne (Batman): Arriving at Commissioner Gordon's office in a taxi might be deemed a trifle ostentatious, Dick.

Dick Grayson (Robin): But that's three miles from here.

Bruce Wayne (Batman): A sound mind in a sound body!

Convenience is the enemy of mankind.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Post by meganfernandez »

Deuce wrote:
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:15 am
Deuce wrote: And the only umpires who use the elevator chair should be those who are physically unable to climb the steps to the chair. Otherwise, it is the very definition of 'unnecessary' and 'ostentatious' :D .
From a 'Batman' episode (the hilarious TV show):

Dick Grayson (Robin): We'd better get home.

Bruce Wayne (Batman): No, there's no time for that.
We'll change into our spare Bat-outfits in the limousine and leg it to police headquarters.

Dick Grayson (Robin): Leg it? How about a taxi?

Bruce Wayne (Batman): Arriving at Commissioner Gordon's office in a taxi might be deemed a trifle ostentatious, Dick.

Dick Grayson (Robin): But that's three miles from here.

Bruce Wayne (Batman): A sound mind in a sound body!

Convenience is the enemy of mankind.
Okay we are living in different worlds. Which is fine. :)

This match is heating up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

OK, I've seen one too many comments about Cornet as a possible tournament winner.

She is going to have a hard time winning games against Collins in the quarters if Collins is healthy.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

jazzyg wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:05 am OK, I've seen one too many comments about Cornet as a possible tournament winner.

She is going to have a hard time winning games against Collins in the quarters if Collins is healthy.
If Collins is healthy physically or mentally?
She has a reputation of allowing her rage - which is a product of nervousness and frustration - affect her play negatively.

I think Cornet has a definite chance to win this match - not only because Collins can be hot or cold and prone to mental 'meltdowns', but also because Cornet will fight for points as much as Collins will (she'll just do so less loudly and brashly). And this is the closest that Cornet has ever been to a Major final - and it could well be the last time she's in this position - so that'll be extra motivation.
The only potential negative I see for Cornet is the heat. But she's not THAT old - only just turned 32. We tend to think she's older because she's been around forever. And she did handle the heat well yesterday vs. Halep - so maybe it'll actually be Collins melting from the heat.
In any case, I think it'll be an interesting and fairly close match.

Denis is definitely playing better now than he was in the first two sets...
But Nadal will kick it into that extra gear.
I don't see anyone but Nadal winning this match.
R.I.P. Amal...

mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

I agree that these conditions are built-in disadvantage for European/Canadian players. I'm still sure that Hingis would've easily won that match against Capriati if not for the heat.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

jazzyg wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:05 am OK, I've seen one too many comments about Cornet as a possible tournament winner.

That's an exaggeration, but I agree that at most there is one more win for Cornet in this tournament.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Deuce wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:18 am Denis is definitely playing better now than he was in the first two sets...
Correct, but it is taking him a lot more effort than I anticipated after the first hour of the match.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Suliso wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:07 am
Deuce wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:18 am Denis is definitely playing better now than he was in the first two sets...
Correct, but it is taking him a lot more effort than I anticipated after the first hour of the match.
Yeah - I wasn't anticipating the upset stomach. But even with that, I never doubted he'd win. He pretty much always finds a way to win the important matches - except sometimes when Federer or Djokovic are around. He's not going to lose to someone like Denis at a Major. He's just much more contained, disciplined, and mature than Denis - much less 'wild'.
It''s a good thing that he gets 2 full days off to rest and recover now, though.

I'm not at all a fan of Nadal's heavy topspin game - I prefer a more creative variety - but I admire his drive and determination, and he's always been a class act both on and off the court.
Last edited by Deuce on Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
R.I.P. Amal...

Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

I think Medvedev will take him down if there is such a match of course.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Barty is crushing Pegula like a pesky bug. I really see no one other than Keys who could hinder her romp to the title.
Liamvalid Great Britain

Post by Liamvalid »

Barty’s a funny one for me. Personality wise, she is one of my favourites and I think it is great to have her as the number one player and a role model for young women. But I just don’t enjoy her matches that much
Mary, queen of shots