'22 AO Day 9 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
mick1303 Ukraine

Re: '22 AO Day 9 OoP & Discussion

Post by mick1303 »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:01 pm Serious question. As you say that the tournament is not open for political reasons: do you think that Djokovic not being allowed to enter the country was for political reasons? Why would Australia want to ban Novak? If they wanted, wasn't it like 8 slams too late? And Australia has a very large Serbian migrant population, which says that they are not anti-Serbian (Tomljanovic is of Serbain parents, and almost all Aussie tennis players are from foreing parenets). I am really curious.
That was basically their official explanation. Not because he violated some rules (the court established that the he's done exactly what was told to him). But because of the possibility of "civil unrest". Many observers say that federal officials exploited the outrage of local people "he is allowed to enter not vaccinated, while we are suffering".
But this is one layer of this story. Another layer is that some company digging for natural resources was seen off from Serbia. And this company they say have some connections to Australian PM relative. Whatever was done to Djokovic (they gave him the visa and then basically arrested upon arrival) was a payback.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Deuce wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:48 am .
The full version here...
Aussie Open Order of Play - Day 9...

Deuce I did not see your post until play actually began and as is sometimes the case with me it took me a minute to understand what had happened. If I had seen your post I would've left mine as it was.

Thanks for posting the link to the full OoP. :)
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Liamvalid Great Britain

Post by Liamvalid »

We all know Djokovic has Rafa’s number on this surface, but there are still people in the draw who have/can beat Djokovic on hard. Putting an asterisk next to someone’s AO title because Djokovic didn’t play would be the same entitlement BS that has turned people against him in the first place
He is reaping what he sowed by posting all over social media that he was exempt from the rules
Last edited by Liamvalid on Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mary, queen of shots
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:01 pm Serious question. As you say that the tournament is not open for political reasons: do you think that Djokovic not being allowed to enter the country was for political reasons? Why would Australia want to ban Novak? If they wanted, wasn't it like 8 slams too late? And Australia has a very large Serbian migrant population, which says that they are not anti-Serbian (Tomljanovic is of Serbain parents, and almost all Aussie tennis players are from foreing parenets). I am really curious.
I think it was somewhat and possibly largely political, but not at all about Djokovic getting to 22 or not. Those leaders don't care. They care about money and power. The whole exemptions process between TA and State of Victoria was probably somewhat political, although more so financial. Sounds like TA & Victoria really got their wires crossed with the federal government on the exemption, and that was the root of the problem. Unless it was almost entirely political and TA/Victoria didn't expect the feds to interfere.

I'm resigned that I'll never fully understand and what happened behind closed doors. This should have been much more black and white - here are the entry requirements, here are the valid reasons for an exemption, here's who decides if Novak qualifies for an exemption and therefore entry, done. It became something totally different.

Definitely no asterisk. He didn't even win the previous Slam - he wasn't a lock for the title. Favorite but not a lock. We saw how he cracked under the pressure of making history at the US Open. Same thing could have happened. And he might have gotten injured or sick. Or just lost a close match, as people do.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Liamvalid wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:42 pm We all know Djokovic has Rafa’s number on this surface, but there are still people in the draw who have/can beat Djokovic on hard. Putting an asterisk next to someone’s AO title because Djokovic didn’t play would be the same entitlement BS that has turned people against him in the first place
He is reaping what he sowed by posting all over social media that he was exempt from the rules
I agree with everything but the first part. Rafa had Djokovic's number at RG and then 2021 happened. The matches need to be played, the results shouldn't be presumed.

Also, a good number of you were saying Djokovic wanted the Golden Slam last year and were certain he wouldn't skip the Olympics and when I said his Gold wasn't guaranteed and listed possible players that could beat him, you all laughed at me for thinking he could lose. No idea why anyone is still assuming a specific result even if he was in the draw.

There is no asterisk for whoever wins this GS title. Novak made his bed and has to live with his choices.
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

I think ppl put different meaning into the asterisk. Of course, nothing is 100% certain. Nobody deals in absolutes. But Novak's dominance in Australia was exceeded only by Nadal's dominance in Roland Garros. I have to remind you that some Nadal fans wanted to put an asterisk to RF 2009 win, because he did not beat Nadal.
MJ2004

Post by MJ2004 »

Rafa answered a couple of questions regarding Shapo's comments, primarily in the first eight minutes, and in doing so offered a free lesson on how to be the bigger person:
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

mick1303 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:08 pm I think ppl put different meaning into the asterisk. Of course, nothing is 100% certain. Nobody deals in absolutes. But Novak's dominance in Australia was exceeded only by Nadal's dominance in Roland Garros. I have to remind you that some Nadal fans wanted to put an asterisk to RF 2009 win, because he did not beat Nadal.
Oh, of course, if you want to, ALL tournaments have an asterisk. It is the history of the tournament, what was going on at the moment, and such. For example, the 1999 USO has a great history to it. Not only did Agassi won it, but the four 1998 semi-finalitst were unable to compete, each one for a different reason.
But in the vernacular, "putting an asterisk" next to a victory usually is meant as saying that such a victory was suspect. That was the reason I was asking.
So, for example, if FAA were to win the tournament, I would wonder if any asterisk would still be warranted for the event.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

MJ2004 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:22 pm Rafa answered a couple of questions regarding Shapo's comments, primarily in the first eight minutes, and in doing so offered a free lesson on how to be the bigger person:
As I said - he's miles ahead of Denis in the maturity department.
The difference is greater than the difference between their ages, with Denis being immature even for his age.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ti-amie wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:38 pm
Deuce wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:48 am .
The full version here...
Aussie Open Order of Play - Day 9...

Deuce I did not see your post until play actually began and as is sometimes the case with me it took me a minute to understand what had happened. If I had seen your post I would've left mine as it was.

Thanks for posting the link to the full OoP. :)
No problem at all.
I just happened to see that the Order of Play wasn't complete in your post at that time, and I had it open on the Aussie Open site in another tab, so I simply linked to it.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

Deuce wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:32 am
MJ2004 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:22 pm Rafa answered a couple of questions regarding Shapo's comments, primarily in the first eight minutes, and in doing so offered a free lesson on how to be the bigger person:
The difference is greater than the difference between their ages, with Denis being immature even for his age.
I think it is the case when the essense of the message is getting lost because of the messenger. Yes, Denis is indeed immatury, but at the same time Rafa indeed gets preferential treatment with how he manages play interruptions to his advantage. Just denying it with a smile on his face is not "being mature", it is just experience in dealing with a media.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

mick1303 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:19 am
I think it is the case when the essense of the message is getting lost because of the messenger. Yes, Denis is indeed immatury, but at the same time Rafa indeed gets preferential treatment with how he manages play interruptions to his advantage. Just denying it with a smile on his face is not "being mature", it is just experience in dealing with a media.
Ok - I can accept that. The top players do get preferential treatment - as do the players who are known to complain the most - because the umpires simply don't want to deal with them.
Of course, there are some things which can't be overlooked no matter who the offender is - like hitting a lineswoman in the throat with a ball as a random, once hypothetical example :D .

I do maintain that Nadal is mature in the way that he comports himself, not just experienced.
My B.S. meter is quite accurate, and I view Nadal as being sincere 99% of the time.
R.I.P. Amal...

mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

Deuce wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:29 am
mick1303 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:19 am
Ok - I can accept that. The top players do get preferential treatment - as do the players who are known to complain the most - because the umpires simply don't want to deal with them.
Of course, there are some things which can't be overlooked no matter who the offender is - like hitting a lineswoman in the throat with a ball as a random, once hypothetical example :D .

I do maintain that Nadal is mature in the way that he comports himself, not just experienced.
My B.S. meter is quite accurate, and I view Nadal as being sincere 99% of the time.
This was probably one of those cases falling under remaining 1% ))
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

mick1303 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:19 am ...

And what is the difference between those two things?
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem