Post by the Moz »

Second set FAA!!
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock:
FEBravo

Re: '22 AO Day 10 OoP & Discussion

Post by FEBravo »

Medvedev with the third. I've only watched the TBs in the first and third, and Medvedev definitely upped his game while Felix lost his, missed a few (relatively) easy winners. Will be a test of his character now, as he's still 2-1 up, but Medvedev now fired up.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Medvedev still isn't his usual self - he's still fighting himself. But he's beginning to figure things out and adjust.
Normally, I'd say at this point (after he's just won the 3rd set) that he's going to win the match. But there's something uncharacteristic about him tonight. I obviously don't know what the reason is, and although he's playing better now, he's just not his usual self tonight. And Felix seems to be hitting the ball better at the beginning of the 3rd than he was at the end of the 2nd.
It's anyone's match at this point.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Well, seems like it will fall to Tsitsipas to take out Medvedev.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

JazzNU wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:35 am Outside of the one incident, I don't think most have an issue with her off the court. She's not as good of friends with the other players from what I've seen, but that's seems to be about taking a different path to the pros and not knowing them as well, but when she's with them like when she's playing Fed Cup, she seems to get along with everyone fine. I don't think she's actually an unlikable person, just not the easiest player to like.

And I don't think the problem with her on-court is just about her intensity, there's been quite a high level of poor sportsmanship on more than several occasions....
It's funny because in her post-match speech she talked about how people don't see how friendly everyone is in the locker room.

Of the couple post-match interviews I've stuck around for, Cornet and Collins were surprisingly endearing. Collins seemed very thankful to people around her after having a tough time last year and Cornet stopped Dokic wrapping up the interview to tell Jelena how impressed she's been with where Dokic is now and how she's crafted her post-tennis life.

Dokic's been a really good interviewer, by the way.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

mick1303 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:23 am History is not on Daniil's side here. Nobody in mens tennis ever won his 2nd grand slam immediately following the first. So, despite FAA being "good matchup" for him, I have a feeling that DM will lose today.

Very nuanced, effective jinx. Let's see if it holds for two more matches :D
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

mmmm8 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:32 pm
mick1303 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:23 am History is not on Daniil's side here. Nobody in mens tennis ever won his 2nd grand slam immediately following the first. So, despite FAA being "good matchup" for him, I have a feeling that DM will lose today.

Very nuanced, effective jinx. Let's see if it holds for two more matches :D
You saw right through me ))) Turned out in the end that FAA was not the man for the job. But I stand by my prediction - someone will get in a way of Medvedev winning this particular slam.
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

But even if Medved loses next round, he will join quite a tight company of Murray, Lendl and Djokovic - reaching at least semi in the next slam after the maiden slam. Sampras, Federer, Nadal and all other slam winners did worse )
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

mick1303 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:52 pm But even if Medved loses next round, he will join quite a tight company of Murray, Lendl and Djokovic - reaching at least semi in the next slam after the maiden slam. Sampras, Federer, Nadal and all other slam winners did worse )
I'd be more interested in seeing how players did in the next Major that they played in after winning their first Major. Your list has a lot of instances of players not playing the Major following the first one they won. Obviously they can't win a tournament that they don't play in. How they fared in the next Major they actually participated in would be a more significant means of measuring this particular circumstance in my opinion.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Medvedev too often behaves like a horse’s ass - but he’s an absolute tennis genius.
I am not surprised that he figured out a way to come back and win this one, even though he certainly was not playing his best. He’s the most intelligent player on the tour.

I feel bad for Felix. This one was definitely within his grasp - but he couldn’t handle Medvedev gradually improving his play. You could see in Felix’s eyes as early as in the 3rd set that there was self-doubt building in his mind.
This is a kid who was the youngest player to win a match at the Challenger level at 15 years old (he made it all the way to the quarterfinals). And so his evolution continues. In a year or two, he’ll win matches like tonight’s.
R.I.P. Amal...

jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

FAA was really impressive the entire tournament. I did not see any of this match, but it does not surprise me he came really close to winning it.

His ball-striking has been exquisite. He still has rough patches, bit his progress since this time a year ago is immense.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

jazzyg wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:25 pm FAA was really impressive the entire tournament. I did not see any of this match, but it does not surprise me he came really close to winning it.

His ball-striking has been exquisite. He still has rough patches, bit his progress since this time a year ago is immense.
Completely agree
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

Regarding the Tsitsipas-Medvedev semi: the tables are turned the other way now. Last year it was Tsitsipas after the tight 5-setter (beat Nadal from 2 sets down). This year it is Medvedev in exactly the same situation.
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

Deuce wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:59 pm Medvedev too often behaves like a horse’s ass - but he’s an absolute tennis genius.
I am not surprised that he figured out a way to come back and win this one, even though he certainly was not playing his best. He’s the most intelligent player on the tour.

I feel bad for Felix. This one was definitely within his grasp - but he couldn’t handle Medvedev gradually improving his play. You could see in Felix’s eyes as early as in the 3rd set that there was self-doubt building in his mind.
This is a kid who was the youngest player to win a match at the Challenger level at 15 years old (he made it all the way to the quarterfinals). And so his evolution continues. In a year or two, he’ll win matches like tonight’s.
What did Medvedev do in this match (re "horse's ass")?
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

mick1303 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:47 pm
Deuce wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:59 pm Medvedev too often behaves like a horse’s ass - but he’s an absolute tennis genius.

What did Medvedev do in this match (re "horse's ass")?
Nothing that I saw in this match - I wasn't referring to this match.
But there are plenty of examples from other matches. That's why I wrote that he too often behaves like a horse's ass.
R.I.P. Amal...