'22 AO Day 11 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
Liamvalid Great Britain

Re: '22 AO Day 11 OoP & Discussion

Post by Liamvalid »

ashkor87 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:10 pm
Liamvalid wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:24 am This is another example of why I don’t like watching Barty play. It’s nothing against her game, but her opponents seem to turn into error machines. I can’t think of many close Barty matches where both her and her opponents played their best level
Anisimova played well, I thought...
Still lots of errors though, some of them pretty wild. I get that Barty's play kind of forces them into it, but my point is that I don't enjoy watching those kinds of matches. Would much prefer to watch Barty play someone with more variety instead of just trying to blast winners from bad positions
Mary, queen of shots
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Collins is this year's Brady. Of course it's possible that Barty will freeze under pressure thus giving her a chance, but I think it's unlikely. Odds probably something like 80-20 in Barty's favor.
meganfernandez United States of America

'22 AO Day 11 OoP & Discussion

Post by meganfernandez »

Suliso wrote:Collins is this year's Brady. Of course it's possible that Barty will freeze under pressure thus giving her a chance, but I think it's unlikely. Odds probably something like 80-20 in Barty's favor.
Tend to agree, but… Collins beat Barty last year … on Australian hard court. :) I think Collins will be more confident than anyone Barty had played so far. Barty might be a little tight. Could be a good match. If Barty schools her, it will be pretty darn impressive. Just hope for a good match!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

I'm happy that Collins didn’t hastily put an expensive watch on her wrist before the on-court interview like so many other players unfortunately do.
It’s so phony and artificial and out of place (do they need to know the time during their interview? :roll: ). A watch should be a functional and practical item, not a show-off piece. No sponsor could pay me enough to put a watch on just for the money, and when I have no practical use for it.
Collins isn’t the phony type (some may feel that she’s a little too raw) - she’s quite ‘what you see is what you get - and if you don’t like it, that’s fine’ - and that’s refreshing in an increasingly superficial and artificial world.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Post by meganfernandez »

mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

You can't practice being a lefty and having Nadal-like forehand to kill slices )

Post by meganfernandez »

mick1303 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:35 pm You can't practice being a lefty and having Nadal-like forehand to kill slices )

But you can develop your own slice to counter a slice, and these players should. Might come in handy on offense, too. The top players - who expect to battle Barty for the big titles - should be working on their slice.

Post by meganfernandez »

mick1303 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:35 pm You can't practice being a lefty and having Nadal-like forehand to kill slices )

But you can develop your own slice to counter a slice, and these players should. Might come in handy on offense, too. The top players - who expect to battle Barty for the big titles - should be working on their slice.

I don't see why it's so hard to deal with. You get low and use your wrist. Maybe Barty's is particularly nasty. You have to move the feet and then be really patient.
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

meganfernandez wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:57 pm

I don't see why it's so hard to deal with. You get low and use your wrist. Maybe Barty's is particularly nasty. You have to move the feet and then be really patient.
There is more to the slice than the shot itself from the technical standpoint. One should also understand WHEN to use it. If your slice is only to counter opponent's slice, then you're reacting all the time rather than acting. Losing initiative against such polished player is bad.
Last edited by mick1303 on Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

mick1303 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:11 pm

There is more to the slice when the shot itself from the technical standpoint. One should also understand WHEN to use it. If your slice is only to counter opponent's slice, then you're reacting all the time rather than acting. Losing initiative against such polished player is bad.
Barty has always used her slice as an offensive weapon no? I think Mick's point is the key.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by meganfernandez »

mick1303 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:11 pm

There is more to the slice when the shot itself from the technical standpoint. One should also understand WHEN to use it. If your slice is only to counter opponent's slice, then you're reacting all the time rather than acting. Losing initiative against such polished player is bad.
Right, but it's not about having a reactionary-heavy game plan from the outset. It's about being ready to deal with a challenge when it happens. You still have to react in tennis even if you're being aggressive. Question is how do you deal with it so you steer the match back toward the game you want to play. Sometimes the best you can do is neutralize the slice and wait for a better ball to attack. It seems like her opponents are having time trouble neutralizing the slice and not getting way behind in the point.
Last edited by meganfernandez on Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Barty has the best backhand slice in women's game since I don't even know who.

Post by meganfernandez »

Suliso wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:42 pm Barty has the best backhand slice in women's game since I don't even know who.
Navratilova?
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Suliso wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:42 pm Barty has the best backhand slice in women's game since I don't even know who.
Steffi.
The difference is that the other players, when they are going to hit a slice, keep their non-dominant hand on the grip. That stops you from getting your racquet head very high, and your slice floats. Barty takes her left hand UP the racquet's throat, and she can therefore bring that racquet head way up and she can hit through and out into the ball. Other slices simply don't have that bite. Hers really hit the court and slide through it; the other hit the court and sit up.
I would say she even has the best slice for a two handed BH player of either tour. It is almost up there with Roger's, whom of course is a one hander.

Totally surprised by the scores, which are way too easy for what I expected. I said Collins would beat Swiatek but never did I thought it would be that easy.
Somehow, I say Barty will have an easy time with Collins too. That slice again. So, although yesterday I said we are not in a BARTY ERA, we may be about to start. It would make her a three Slam champion, and she has already won RG and W. Maybe a couple of years of clearly being the dominant player, as she would be in a great position to win another slam this year.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

Nathalie Tauziat had a mean slice.